• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

In need of a little advice..

You're about to play a server that requires a custom client, do you continue?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Extrodus

|| Blazera.net ||
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey there community - for the past 4 months I've been dealing with some issues regarding client stability for the default CIP client which has lead me to a so-to-speak standstill. I'm at a cross road of either dedicating myself fully to custom client and rendering the default client un-usable or continuing to try and find a fix for my dilemmas. Now I'm a real map 8.6; so it worries me forcing people to use a custom client - even though I have numerous custom areas, as well a full RPG island - plus with this content update that broke the original client; I can easily port in updates from the latest changes with ease. However I want people that play 8.6 religiously not for customized experiences to still be able to easily hop into my server.

Hense, my poll - would you download a custom client for an 8.6 real map server that offers unique gameplay/custom areas or would you write it off pretty quickly?
I ask this knowing servers like SoE, Archlight, etc have been successful; with SoE even being a RL Map with custom features like Im speaking of. So this whole thing is really debatable in my mind, and personally I'll sit here questioning it for years before executing (unless I resolve the current issue with the client).. but until then what do you think as a player? Do you download new server clients frequently, or do you try to avoid that?

Another question I debate, how big is to big for a client; if its over 100MB will you say "Nawh, I'm not downloading that" or do you not care about client size..

There seems to be a fairly large community which refuses to download custom clients. If you're willing to lose them, go for it. If your server is good enough then you'll get the traffic anyways. I woud personally rather use a custom client, and if its a good game size doesn't matter.

Another question I debate, how big is to big for a client; if its over 100MB will you say "Nawh, I'm not downloading that" or do you not care about client size..
Create a lightweight executable that downloads the rest

Shucks, I'm so happy to know there is a large majority willing to download the custom client. Luckily the issue has been resolved and I can offer a clean experience to default clients and OTC!

In my opinion, there's enought free ID's, items, tools to don't force the usage of OTC and get great content. Since it's 8.6, avoiding CIP client might be very bad because many 8.6 players uses elfbot, or at least, that's a good reason for them to still playing 8.6. However, my advice on going for OTC is to add stuff that holds CIP client aswell, this way you can let players decide what they're going to use at the end.

Im ok with custom client
I hate custom clients with 200 buttons and new systems :D

Hey there community - for the past 4 months I've been dealing with some issues regarding client stability for the default CIP client which has lead me to a so-to-speak standstill. I'm at a cross road of either dedicating myself fully to custom client and rendering the default client un-usable or continuing to try and find a fix for my dilemmas. Now I'm a real map 8.6; so it worries me forcing people to use a custom client - even though I have numerous custom areas, as well a full RPG island - plus with this content update that broke the original client; I can easily port in updates from the latest changes with ease. However I want people that play 8.6 religiously not for customized experiences to still be able to easily hop into my server.

Hense, my poll - would you download a custom client for an 8.6 real map server that offers unique gameplay/custom areas or would you write it off pretty quickly?
I ask this knowing servers like SoE, Archlight, etc have been successful; with SoE even being a RL Map with custom features like Im speaking of. So this whole thing is really debatable in my mind, and personally I'll sit here questioning it for years before executing (unless I resolve the current issue with the client).. but until then what do you think as a player? Do you download new server clients frequently, or do you try to avoid that?

I played your OTs back in the day, and for that time they were fun. However I’m over 8.6 version, any server that I see on OTservlist that is based off 8.6 I tend to avoid completely (my personal preference now) Now I’ve been more recently into oldschool 7.4ish servers with some custom stuff (SOE for example) I would really love to see a custom 7.4 server (custom map and stuff, though I don’t think the population is there anymore) but yeah,

on topic I definitely do download custom clients… actually kinda prefer them tbh… I feel like with custom clients you aren’t necessarily limited on what you can do with them!

Last edited:
Back