• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Question about the rules of OTland

Evil Mark

Reaction score
So I was interested in having someone develop a simple Tibia bot for me as I have no experience in reverse engineering the tibia client and no time to learn inbetween work and real life activities but before doing so I wanted to make sure it was all in accordance to the rules of OTland before breaking any of the rules.

The only rule I could find regarding purchasing code was this

11. Commerce of resources:
It is strictly forbidden to buy or sell OpenTibia resources on OTLand. Advertising websites where you can buy or sell OpenTibia resources is not tolerated either. It is still OK to charge for hosting services, and advertising such services should be done in Jobs board.

I just want to make sure before actually making a real post by asking the users/mods/admins or anyone who can help me in this board. Am I allowed to ask someone for their services and experience within this area of expertise in exchange for payment?

You are allowed to hire them to work for you, but you're not allowed to ask them to sell their work to you. I hope this is clear to you.
Actually, im somewhat confused. So how excatly are they not selling me services if they are hired by me? 😅

Actually, im somewhat confused. So how excatly are they not selling me services if they are hired by me? 😅
My answer was kinda ironic, cause it is confusing to me as well. But those are the rules, you must not offer to buy any resources but you are allowed to offer to hire someone in order to create them. The same goes for selling, e.g. you can't sell sprites but you can offer to draw them (in the Jobs subforum).

In the old days of Open Tibia Land there was even a subforum marketplace where you could sell your resources however it was feeling unfair against the open source contributors. Just think about it that how much open source TFS devs puts their effort for community to have an engine which we have today and someone who did minor changes to scripts or made a downgraded data-pack now selling it for €€€. Within such mindset it is discouraging to develop any piece of open code because why to if you can sell it. So, instead of choosing the closed path we encourage open code path. This is how the rule was born. It is more or less a long story and years ago made but I think I retell the correct side of this.
TL;DR you can form a team to work with you on that bot, however you cannot later sell that bot for money in this forum.

Back