• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to stream with XSplit Broadcaster

Herpicus

Web Developer
Reaction score
This short guide is for users who are not completely retarded. If you are not able to simply into the whole thing then you don't deserve to stream.

Can you stream?

You need a good computer and good Internet to stream. If you've tried streaming and it just lags your game or has terrible choppy video, chances are your PC isn't good enough or you went way overboard on the quality options.

You will want at least a quad core PC and at least 1mbps upload speed (use www.speedtest.net to California for an accurate assessment of your upload speed) that has no packet loss and low jitter (use www.pingtest.net to measure your packetloss and jitter). Modern Intel CPUs such as the i5/i7 are a lot more efficient than AMD offerings.

If you think your PC is good enough but you are still experiencing issues, read step X for an idea of the settings you can adjust to try and fix things.

How To Stream
If you're completely new to streaming and want to know how to stream, by far the easiest way to get started is by using XSplit. XSplit captures your desktop and streams it to either JTV, Ustream, Livestream or a number of other services. It has a good number of options for controlling quality amongst other things.

The more complicated option is to use Adobe's Flash Media Live Encoder with screen capture software such as VHScrCap or SCFH.

Setting up XSplit
Step 1: Download xsplit Download XSplit Installer , you can chose to make an account on xsplit now or later when its installed. (xsplit also needs to be verified), when making an account you get an email with a link.

Once Xsplit starts up you will get this image below, its a fairly simple program
EC0F4.jpg

Step 2: Open Broadcast and press "Edit channels"
Once in there press Add and select JustinTV (JustinTV is TwitchTV)

Edit: Or a service of your choosing

lcffM.jpg

Step 3: Fill in your channel login information (if you don't have any, register a free Twitch TV account: http://www.twitch.tv/)

Video encoding (You may adjust these settings later)
Preset
: XSplit Default for now (Very Fast = Slow CPU, Very Slow = Fast CPU)
Quality: 6 / 8
VBV Bitrate: 1000Kbps (I have an upstream of 4000Kbps but I still set the bitrate to around 1000 - 1500Kbps, don't max it if your speed is faster than 1500)
VBV Buffer: Double the Bitrate (1000 Bitrate / 2000 Buffer)
Resolution: Default Stage Resolution

Audio Encoding (You may lower the audio quality if feel it's necessary)
Format: 44.100 KHz 16 bit stereo
Bitrate of around 112000

Here is an example of my settings:
4J7qd.jpg

I have a 2600K processor, 8GB RAM with a 50/4 Network

Press OK

Go to General tab:
Set these options to what ever you want, ie: record your mic??

Step 4: Resolution
Go in to View -> Resolution for the resolution size (Must be something with a 16:9 ratio)
Now Go into the Framerate and set it to something between 20-30

Step 5: Set the screen region
Press Add select screen region, drag it the scene to fill the xsplit screen, and you are done, you can now stream by pressing broadcast and your stream!
It will say streaming in the top of XSplit

Here is a video tutorial I made if you still need help
[video=youtube;T_PCak0VjXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_PCak0VjXs[/video]

Having Problems?
If you are having issues that you absolutely can't solve yourself (after reading tutorial and trying to adjusting all relevant options), leave a comment below.
  • Ensure your upload speed is fast enough to support streaming (1mbps+)
  • Ensure your CPU is fast enough to support streaming (quad core [i3 2100+ Hyperthreaded / i5 / i7])
  • Updated to the latest version of XSplit if applicable.
  • Reduced resolution and bitrate to low levels to verify it's not a CPU or Internet issue.
If you still want to post a comment, include at very least the following information:
  • CPU type/speed and amount of RAM (eg: Core i5 2500k 3.3 GHz, 4GB RAM). Not sure? Use CPUz.
  • Windows version (eg: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit) gtfo if you're going to troll about hurrdurr windows
  • Download / Upload speed as measured by www.speedtest.net to California, USA (eg 15000 down / 5250 up kbps) and ping, packet loss and jitter as measured by www.pingtest.net to California, USA. Connection type - wired / wireless?
  • Settings used in all your stream (take a screenshot if you're lazy).

Make sure at very minimum the following information is available / visible: Resolution, bitrate, frame rate (fps), quality options.
  • Streaming service used (eg: Justin.TV, UStream, own3d, etc)
  • If posting about video issues or something visible, a link to a recording / VOD of the problem exhibiting itself. Almost all streaming services auto-record VODs, so link to the VOD where you had problems.
Obviously not all these will apply to all types of questions - there's no point testing your Internet speed if you can't even install your streaming program for example. But please include as much detail as possible. No one can help you if you didn't provide the necessary information.

What should I do once I have a working stream?
You could add you stream to sites like SlurpDerp, TeamLiquid, CLGaming, and SoloMid

Last edited:
The purpose of Teamviewer is to give the viewer control of the pc? Isn't that what the Remote control parts for?.. we are using presentation.

I like the tutorial though, and your pc is too damn fast -.-..

I'll be swapping to xsplit whenever i can be bothered.

Why quality 6??
Im streaming with Quality 10 on much worse destkop and it takes only 10 fps while playing LoL

Why quality 6??
You don't see much of a difference whether you set it to "Not Set", "6", or "10"

But you will see a significant bitrate increase if you set the quality higher.

For example:
Person 1: Stream at the exact same settings as person 2, only difference is that Person 1 stream with Quality: 6 at 400-1000Kbps
Person 2: Streams at quality 10 but takes 1000-1500Kbps to show nearly no difference in quality.

Viewers: See no almost no difference between the two streamers.

Last edited:
If you are not from the US i recommend that you use Own3D instead of Twitch.TV be cause your stream will more or less lag with Twitch.TV since the server is more then half a globe away. :p

Also when i streamed LoL i dropped by over 30 FPS which is my own fault Streaming in HD with a Very Slow setting.

Computer.

Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz 4-core / 8-thread
12 GB DDR3 1666 MHz Ram
ASUS Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 (Overlocked it a bit)
100/10 Mbit Fiber Connection (This was no problem X-split said it would this is false since it tests the Californian server and not Own3D servers.)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Now i do not recommend to use the Slowest option with this spec since it used 90% of my CPU.

I will try and come up with settings that do not consume as much of your computer.

Last edited:
If you are not from the US i recommend that you use Own3D instead of Twitch.TV be cause your stream will more or less lag with Twitch.TV since the server is more then half a globe away. :p

Also when i streamed LoL i dropped by over 30 FPS which is my own fault Streaming in HD with a Very Slow setting.

Computer.

Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz 4-core / 8-thread
12 GB DDR3 1666 MHz Ram
ASUS Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 (Overlocked it a bit)
100/10 Mbit Fiber Connection (This was no problem X-split said it would this is false since it tests the Californian server and not Own3D servers.)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Now i do not recommend to use the Slowest option with this spec since it used 90% of my CPU.

I will try and come up with settings that do not consume as much of your computer.
  1. They have servers in UK and are planning to get more in Europe. XSplit tests which ever server you have selected in the options.
  2. Yes, Own3d is better for Europeans since it's based in Austria.
  3. If you had a decent viewer base and had the opportunity to become a partner on either twitch or own3d, it would be better get a partnership on own3d since they pay more per 1000 ad views.
This is just a short tutorial on how to get a basic stream started on Twitch.TV and is not a guide that you must follow 100% of the way. If a user wanted to stream on something else than Twitch.TV, they could easily use own3d service while follow this tutorial on setting up a stream.

I would update it to make it more European friendly, but I have no time to waste on such things. They can easily figure it out on their own.

Err, where did you get Teamviewer from?

he was reffering to teamviewer being similar to streaming for the reason that you can see what the person is doing, as you can do the same with streaming.

Says "your channel is not yet avaliable~~~"

-.- something about me entering the wrong information, but it's correct.
No caps, like my username too.

Back