• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

New Computer, Opinions?

RazorBlade

Retired Snek
Solutions
Reaction score
Just got a lovely new computer yesterday.
ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard, nVidia GTS 450, 6 GB of corsair ram@1600, i7 [email protected], liquid cooled with dual enermax high performance silent fans, 1TB HDD, 7200 RPM, 6.0 Gb/s, 64MB cache, 1250 watt extreme gaming psu, basic high performance disk drive/burner (not blu-ray), 12-in-1 media card reader, Razer Mamba gaming mouse, Razer Lycosa gaming keyboard, got a sexy blue neon light in it, a blue LED high performance silent fan on the side all in a beautiful NZXT Lexa-S case. I also have a new HP monitor, really old 2.1 speakers and an ASUS wireless network adapter. It also has two spots on the top for some nice 140mm fans plus capabilities of 2 external radiators. It has professional wiring and sleeved power wires so there's only like 5 wires actually hanging around in the case. all the others are sleeved and/or hidden so it has amazing airflow.
Also, it's Windows 7, 64 bit

Probably over the next few years, I'll be upgrading certain parts here or there. What are your opinions on the system and what should I improve when it comes time to do so? In your opinion, did I go overboard on any parts?

Edit:
Some pictures here:
http://otland.net/f41/post-pictures-your-gaming-spot-1956/index26.html#post1166131

Last edited:
Yeah I went a little low on the drive cause they were expensive and I don't plan on downloading a lot of movies. Just wanted decent size with good speed. And my motherboard only supports i7 and i7 extreme so price-wise, take your pick :p

SSD is alot better and faster.. But is a lot more expensive than HDD's
SATA3 is catching up, altough mechanical HDDs will never have access times as low as SSDs'.

Yeah for 240 GB it was like 500 bucks or somethin.
And yeah mine is sata3

Yeah but has less storage capacities available.
Because they're not meant for storage of music, movies etc. Instead, primarily for high-performance server machines and gaming enthusiasts.

Ideally, the OS and pagefile should be located on the SSD drive to prevent unnecessary I/O on the slower SATA drive.

That was my opinion. Buy a cheap 30GB SSD and run your OS on it and have an HDD for file storage/programs.

Red

I have never wrote that he should update to another HDD, I specified which part should be upgraded ; )

Speakers are definitely one of my areas of need xD I have like 6 year old 2.1 speakers xD

I have a 5.1 set of logitechs for my other gaming computer (the one in my signature)

Back