• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Heroland Mapping Teaser II - The Birth of a Hero

Leftwing

Senator
Solutions
Reaction score
Teaser II: The birth of a Hero

Deep within the earth you find yourself lost in the caverns of dirt and rock. The air is toxic, the fumes caused by a nearby pool of swamp powerful enough to render a man unconscious. But you are no man, you are a hero. You fight the urge to sleep and push on through the darkness. Your torch is burning out, with the only other light coming from across the cavern. It seems that the deeper you go, the harder it becomes to breathe.

11824pe.png

You can feel something watching you, from where you do not know. You draw your weapon, prepared to strike. You slowly step forwards into the black, the cold, wet mud freezing your feet, Your sword in hand, you slowly tip-toe your way through the darkness. You can feel something getting closer, but what? You feel overwhelmed, the fear of being powerless eats at your mind. You are frozen in time, unable to move.You can see figures, skeletons slowly inching towards you. The fear strikes deep in your mind, you begin to surrender, but something calls your name. Suddenly a you feel a surge of energy overcome the feeling of paralysis, you swing your sword wildly in all directions. Your fury is maddening, hacking away at the skeletons. You continue to swing, your rage not finished. The air slices as the sword passes through air, until it finally hits something.

m80ar5.png

You swing again, but nothing's there. The feeling begins to go away, as it seems your all alone again. You breathe deeply, your fury has left you without breath. You look down, searching for a place to rest. An eye, covered in green slime lay staring at you as if it were alive. You pick it up cautiously, and place it in your backpack hoping to tell stories of how you encountered a mysterious creature.

10f45r4.png

The air is cold and toxic, your mind tells you to leave, but something is attracting you farther into the cave. As you walk deeper into the cavern you enter a room with a strange looking monument. You make your way over to examine the monument, only to find the floor below you is no longer dirt, but tile. It reads: "Offer an eye of sacrifice and worship the elder..." You turn to the sacrificial table, blood still covers it. Someone is watching you, but what? You turn to see what you sense staring at you through the darkness, but nothing is there. Something is there, you can feel it.

24yqlo4.png

You open you pack and pull out the eye, It's green liquid smells worse than the toxic fumes and sticks to your hand. With a powerful shake it falls to the table, then something mysterious happens.

vo64k7.png

You look up to see that the room you are in is different. You think to yourself, where am I? You begin to step forward, but something stops you. That feeling returns, you are certain something is watching, but what? You try to move, but you are unable. The paralysis is stronger, unlike anything you have ever felt. You stand staring straight ahead, the only thing you can move are your eyes. A deep, growling voice echos in your mind. "You shall die for disturbing me..." Your mind goes black, as you peel over and crash into the ground. You want to fight, but something is holding you down. With all your might, you force yourself to break the hold that shadows you in darkness. Light from your torch finally reveals the creature in front of you. It floats up and down, all of its many eyes staring at you. You raise your sword and the feel the fury come on again. It takes many hacks but finally the creature lay dead in front of you. A prize, it seems the creature carried a helmet. You take it as a token of your victory. You look up to see a strange glowing light appear in front of you. You take the helmet and pass into the portal, to continue your adventures.

j9r0gn.png

Hope you enjoyed,
Leftwing
Heroland Development Team​

Last edited:
Thanks guys! We're working as hard as we can to get it online. No dates yet though, keep watching our threads for information on the beta!

I had to choose from 20 different pictures to show, and I decided it was only worth 6. This also means that teasers will be more frequent. That being said, it's not necessarily all about the mapping. This teaser could have been released on Friday, however the script we were using for the quest had a few bugs and we spent the weekend bug testing new features and mapping other areas. Stay tuned for new information!

Sincerely,
Leftwing

If you should remove the "Don't strech/shrink game window" function when capturing those photos, we all would have seen that there's too much details.
I mean, too much details on each square. We, or at least me are not interested in how many small stones you are capable to put on one single picture! But you apparently ensure yourself to keep doing that, well well... That's not the point of mapping, the point of mapping is ambience within the details and structure. You've got the structure, don't worry! But your detailwork is awful according to my opinion. You simply use too much details.

If you should remove the "Don't strech/shrink game window" function when capturing those photos, we all would have seen that there's too much details.
I mean, too much details on each square. We, or at least me are not interested in how many small stones you are capable to put on one single picture! But you apparently ensure yourself to keep doing that, well well... That's not the point of mapping, the point of mapping is ambience within the details and structure. You've got the structure, don't worry! But your detailwork is awful according to my opinion. You simply use too much details.

I thought I was using too little details >.>. The stretch/skew does not even make a difference when showing the details. My intention was not to fill every square with small rocks, because I didn't. I used a mixture of rocks, grass and moss to spread each kind of detail out, then I added mushrooms and other assorted details. The path is completely walkable, and I wanted to give the affect of it feeling crowded and cluttered.

What is the point of mapping? To create a playable map with no details at all? To create a pure showoff map where nobody can move but every square is clogged with details? If anything it is a bit of both. I created a playable map that is fully detailed to the extent where it does not hinder a players progress in game yet adds a beautiful touch in terms of how a cave should be " crowded and barely passable."

I'm appreciative of the criticism, but this is a teaser thread not a showoff thread, and therefor all work is final and there will be no changes made. I guess the simple way to say it is, if you don't like it then don't go there in game.

Sincerely,
Leftwing

P.S. I still use less details than a PL mapper.

Last edited:
I'm still thrilled you're bending in nationality to mapping? So polacks mapping with more details than you?
That has with the nationality to do? Come on dude...

Oh well, this is just my opinion. And of course if you deactivate the "Don't strech/shrink game window" you will have a bigger resolution, as players have when they actually play.
And the resolution makes the details bigger, therefore you will experience a lot more details as their literally getting larger.

Everyone map their own way and got different styles. There is no frame you have to map in to call it mapping, your making it sound that way. And please stop sounding like a teacher, you can do that in your lesson thread but not here!
It's like:

Don't worry!
You will get better!
It's way to much details here!

Ontopic: I think that the map is unique and I hope that the entire map got the same quality as these picture got. The details in these pictures are perfect in my opinion but don't use the same amount of details all over the map becuse it wouldn't make any sense.

Good luck with the project, I hope to see it online soon so I can play and pwn everyone!;)

EDIT:
I'm still thrilled you're bending in nationality to mapping? So polacks mapping with more details than you?
That has with the nationality to do? Come on dude...

Compare the borders in maps that's made by PL's and Swedish mappers. I can gaurantee you that you'll notice a difference.

Haha, I totally agree. tho the teaser looks cool

So I'm not entitled to try new things? Who says I can't put moss on dirt or mud? Does that mean I can't put grass on dirt as well? If you don't like it then don't comment on it, as I'm not asking for help on how to improve, I'm simply showing you what we've done and what's going to be playable on our server.

Where is Teaser 1? :eek:

In the discussion thread somewhere.

Everyone map their own way and got different styles. There is no frame you have to map in to call it mapping, your making it sound that way. And please stop sounding like a teacher, you can do that in your lesson thread but not here!
It's like:

Ontopic: I think that the map is unique and I hope that the entire map got the same quality as these picture got. The details in these pictures are perfect in my opinion but don't use the same amount of details all over the map becuse it wouldn't make any sense.

Good luck with the project, I hope to see it online soon so I can play and pwn everyone!;)

EDIT:

Compare the borders in maps that's made by PL's and Swedish mappers. I can gaurantee you that you'll notice a difference.

Agreed. I'm not looking for people to tell me how to map, or what people think is right and wrong, this is my mapping and I will dictate that. Also Siramix, don't be naive. Don't tell me you can't see a difference, because if you can't then you really shouldn't be giving mapping lessons. To clear things up, PL mapping is not about nationality, it's about style.

@ Clinten: Obviously not everywhere will be as detailed as this, as it would look more like a showoff map than a RPG map.

Sincerely,
Leftwing

Back