• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Any NodeJS AAC?

Sam Drost

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, all of the AACs I have seen are PHP based, I was wondering if there were any that were built on NodeJS. Node seems like it has a better mechanism (NPM) for installing extensions and fulfilling requirements while setting up new software than PHP does (granted, I have only done a smattering of PHP development and that was in the early 2000s, so it might be different now). Plus, you get the webserver and scripting platform all in one, so you don't have to install PHP and a webserver (i.e Apache), or use a bundled webserver like WAMP/XAMPP (which is still two different apps, they just come in a single download)

On a side note, WAMP messed me up because I already have a later version of MySQL installed than the one that comes bundled with WAMP, but I couldn't get them to play nice together. XAMPP came bundled with a non-optional MySQL as well, but I was able to get that one to play nice with my original install of MySQL.

Who does use WAMP or XAMP nowadays? Do you use Windows?
PHP since early 2000s changed really much, there're many performance and syntax improvements.
From PHP 8.0 there'll be JIT compiler available, so I guess it will be even faster after all 7th version's performance improvements.
There's Composer that is relevant tool to NPM.
I don't think there was any NodeJS based AAC.

Why use NodeJS instead of PHP? :/

Because of the nodejs webserver package?
You can do it in PHP as well:
PHP:
php -S localhost:8000

On a serious note, for any javascript dev out there, its nice to be able to code frontend and backend using the same language.
If thats what floats your boat, then go for it.
But I don't like NodeJS. (I like javascript, but not the NodeJS/NPM universe). So I'll stick to PHP. :p

Why use NodeJS instead of PHP? :/

Because of the nodejs webserver package?
You can do it in PHP as well:
PHP:
php -S localhost:8000

On a serious note, for any javascript dev out there, its nice to be able to code frontend and backend using the same language.
If thats what floats your boat, then go for it.
But I don't like NodeJS. (I like javascript, but not the NodeJS/NPM universe). So I'll stick to PHP. :p
Moreover running webserver like that in both cases PHP and NodeJS will lead to some serious performance problems (if you don't care about caching).
There're many better designed and "muture" solutions to run a webserver.

Last edited:
I built DevAAC with Don, he wrote a restful backend in PHP, while I wrote the frontend in AngularJS. That was pretty cool. And its runs very fast.
But yeah, as @averatec leads to, I would rather trust Nginx for serving web requests, even if its possible to do it in a "simpler" way.

NodeJS and Apache/Nginx are different mostly performance wise, nothing else, all of them can work the same way and users won't even notice any difference. However NodeJS over Apache/Nginx is a good option but for small sites with as little requests as possible, like SPA. Something like AAC where people at switching pages, database connections are used on almost every request, it's better to stick with Apache/Nginx.

The Ox Server used NodeJS for its API.
In all cases you would run it behind NGINX, whether you use PHP or NodeJS.

Back