• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Coming back and have a few questions

UpInSmoke

Supreme Ruler
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it’s been many years since I’ve been in the OTS scene. I created my first server when I was about 12 which ran for a few months and had ~100 players online at all times. Summer before highschool came and I ended up taking it down due to RL stuff.

I plan on dabbling and hopefully releasing an OTS in the future as this is where I came to love programming and now do that for work. I don’t have too much free time as I work a lot and have many other responsibilities but hopefully I can manage to find 1-5 hours a week to work on stuff as I do miss it and this community as a whole.

My questions for you guys since much has changed is what type of servers are missing and wanted? I don’t mind if engine work is needed, I plan on doing that anyways. I personally loved the high exp evo I made back in the day, with no resets and where the highest level player was 100k and it took them like 4 months. It was tailored around PvP but with many group quests, bossing and the in game items were better than the rl money shop ones. But I don’t know if there is much interest in such a thing anymore, and I’d hate to spend a lot of time working on something if nobody will play it. I also love the idea of a low level RPG server with added custom spells for low levels. The map would be custom and I would prefer to add some custom monsters / items / bosses rather than just the usual. I also would prefer for it to be 8.6 as that is my favorite.

Sorry for the long read, but any feedback and suggestions would be amazing before I begin making it. I’m not after money so I don’t care about shop items, I just want a fun server I can manage / play myself that others enjoy also.

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

I think nowadays people like to play on an evo ot with legal botting. So this is the way to go, especially if it will be 8.60, where I believe most botters reside.
Custom map and content sounds great, so it's good you are thinking about that.
In my opinion, to compete with other servers you would need to make your server stand out, not just be a basic engine download-and-run, think of some game mechanics - create your own or check the ones that have become popular (dungeons for example) and add those.
Good luck with your project.

I think nowadays people like to play on an evo ot with legal botting. So this is the way to go, especially if it will be 8.60, where I believe most botters reside.
Custom map and content sounds great, so it's good you are thinking about that.
In my opinion, to compete with other servers you would need to make your server stand out, not just be a basic engine download-and-run, think of some game mechanics - create your own or check the ones that have become popular (dungeons for example) and add those.
Good luck with your project.
Thank you very much for the suggestions!! High exp evos have always personally been my favorite as the pvp is usually more intense. OG tibia is too much based around pinning down and just having 5+ People SD someone to death lol. I like when it’s possible for legit 1v1s. I think doing what I did when I was younger is the right approach. I made the pvp similar to Old School RuneScape where there is long cool down / specific usage (usually 1 tile and only in the direction you’re facing) k0 spells, so you basically would end up poking with low cool down spells, and then could run at them and combo them out. Made for great wars and fun 1v1s. I did a little mapping today and also came up with a cool idea of a gladiator coliseum where it would have 2 modes: 1v1s and also a mode where players would work together in a small arena to fight lions and skeletons (they’ll be strong lol). Then the spectators can gamble on who they think will win. Definitely looking forward to continuing my work on this

Back