• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

DB in one host and server in another.

Solutions
Reaction score
Its possible to have a Database in one host (godaddy) and server in another (Amazon VPS)? If yes, how can i do that?

In godaddy i let one config.lua with the info to open the site, and its working, but when i try to open the server here (local) and acess the database (godaddy) the distro didint even do the connection. How can i do that connection?

Sure, it's possible. Wouldn't recommend it at all tho, database access latency is critical for the game server. The farthest you can comfortably go is running the website or login servers seperately from the database.

I agree with the post above, have the game engine + DB in one server and the website in the other if you want to have those separate.
Also as a side note, get away from godaddy as soon as you can, they suck.

What the hell are you all even saying.
The database should be ideally on a separate server/servers that has only
  • switching in case of hardware server
  • virutal switching in case of virtual machines
between the servers.

What the hell are you all even saying.
The database should be ideally on a separate server/servers that has only
  • switching in case of hardware server
  • virutal switching in case of virtual machines
between the servers.
Any latency between game server and database = longer player load/save = server lag (TFS ain't multithreaded).

I agree with the post above, have the game engine + DB in one server and the website in the other if you want to have those separate.
Also as a side note, get away from godaddy as soon as you can, they suck.
why they suck? I have one problem that was sold quickly, i'm using for 4 days atm.
Post automatically merged:

MySQL Remote does this.
Search on google: acess mysql remote + your OS
ty. now i can acess ^^
Post automatically merged:

Any latency between game server and database = longer player load/save = server lag (TFS ain't multithreaded).
so i need to have database+server in one and website in other(to prevent DDoS issues crashing server)?

quoting: Is daisy chaining switches increasing latency? (https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/7839/is-daisy-chaining-switches-increasing-latency)
[About the latency of switching] You won't even be able to measure it using typical tools.

(...) for typical ethernet [NOT EVEN FIBRE] switches, you get from 5-7 microseconds to 30-50 microseconds per hop (switch). Even 30-50 microseconds is too low to notice; typically latency is problematic for applications or humans as it reaches the tens/hundreds of milliseconds.
1 microsecond = 1/1000 of milisecond
Not so sure, really.

So you've read that a switch adds 5 microsecond delay and that is relevant to godaddy<-->AWS latency how?

My guess is that if you choose AWS region that is very close to your godaddy hosting, you will have about 7-30ms latency between those two.

As others have posted, TFS is not multi-threaded. There was attempt at moving DB handling to a separate thread but I don't think it was finished. Now, let's assume that your optimal ping for players is 50 ms. Assuming you have a busy server and there is some activity (players logging in, logging out), you'll easily have multiple SQL queries to MySQL from your server per second. Each query will take at least 7-30 ms to complete (if the server was local that would be 0ms, in both cases we do not account for actual query processing time). We also ignore connection pool (TFS likely using a few connections).

Effectively, multiple times per second your server stops and waits 7-30ms for SQL query. That will easily make your effective ping for players about 100ms or worse.

That's a simple back-of-the-napkin math to estimate how does that matter, provided the assumptions are true.

So you've read that a switch adds 5 microsecond delay and that is relevant to godaddy<-->AWS latency how?

My guess is that if you choose AWS region that is very close to your godaddy hosting, you will have about 7-30ms latency between those two.

As others have posted, TFS is not multi-threaded. There was attempt at moving DB handling to a separate thread but I don't think it was finished. Now, let's assume that your optimal ping for players is 50 ms. Assuming you have a busy server and there is some activity (players logging in, logging out), you'll easily have multiple SQL queries to MySQL from your server per second. Each query will take at least 7-30 ms to complete (if the server was local that would be 0ms, in both cases we do not account for actual query processing time). We also ignore connection pool (TFS likely using a few connections).

Effectively, multiple times per second your server stops and waits 7-30ms for SQL query. That will easily make your effective ping for players about 100ms or worse.

That's a simple back-of-the-napkin math to estimate how does that matter, provided the assumptions are true.
So, the ideal is putting SITE (hosted by godaddy) in one part and BD+Server (Hosted by AWS)? Or putting EVERYTHING in AWS is the best thing? I'm so confused :e

What I basically would recommend is putting it all on AWS in the same VLAN if it's possible. Then you can host these three things separately. If you really need to do that is another question.

What I basically would recommend is putting it all on AWS in the same VLAN if it's possible. Then you can host these three things separately. If you really need to do that is another question.
I dont know if i need to do, but i want to make a secure thing, i though that if i put site in one host when people attack the site then the game will still alive and vise-versa, but i'm learning this type of things so, in your opinion is best put all in one host to make that no-laggy? There any other tips that u have? I want to know all before launching

If you are worried mostly about DDoS then you should look into this:

If you want to maximize scaling like I've said a server per thing in AWS in the same VLAN.
But you probably won't be having scaling issues until your server is really popular, so putting it all on the same server until you actually have a performance problem is the most cost effective solution.

Back