• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dedicated Server - Price?

Snavy

Bakasta
Senator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello otlanders...
Im planing to buy a dedicated server to keep up my website & server... not sure what this Dedi costs .D:

Depends on what you want, an rl map with DDos costs alot atleast 60 without DDos 120+ if you want DDos.
If I we're you and was planning on hosting a smaller server, go with a VPS server, costs like 3-15 eur per month.
But you will have problems if you get DDosed.
(Its the same thing you get here, a VPS and you are not allowed to edit the files once you transfer them, not if you wanna "void" the help you can get from them - That was what don told me)

And if I pay for the support, and still wanna modify my own files? Why pay a shitload of money when I can get a rly good hetzner server?
48gb ram = 60 eurs compared to (for the same amount of ram counted according to Dominique - 480 euro.)
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex60
20tb of trafic is plenty during the start of a server.

Indeed like WibbenZ said you are better of buying a dedi somewhere else, the ones offered here are a bit expensive.

Windows costs 15 EUR / GB RAM, it's not a lot more expensive but 50% more.

You are right, Hetzner seems to be a lot cheaper, but:
- they don't know anything about OTS if you have problems
- they don't have any DDoS protection
- you need to set up the system, install everything and make sure it's secure, while here I do that for you

Choose yourself :)

Windows costs 15 EUR / GB RAM, it's not a lot more expensive but 50% more.

You are right, Hetzner seems to be a lot cheaper, but:
- they don't know anything about OTS if you have problems
- they don't have any DDoS protection
- you need to set up the system, install everything and make sure it's secure, while here I do that for you

Choose yourself :)

Well Sir.. According to the support board most of your users can't get it touch with you?
* They have no ability to change a script without you changing it. (If they want you to set the server up)
* Setting up a system is not hard now adays. Follow Elfs / Stians ubuntu guide, add the WWW files.

And this is a VPS you are giving correct? The the price should be way lower.. Why pays 120 eurs per month (8gb) to host an rl map? When they can get a hetzner server for 60 eurs, (48 GB RAM!) And pay Gesior.pl or Snake 5-10 eurs to set the server up?
Fanatsy prices is what you have... Okay if its a small evo server that requiers like 1-2gb, thats 10-20 or 15-30 eurs per month pending on the OS.
And still then you can get a better VPS if you buy it yourself for like 20 eurs. And STILL have money to pay ex. Gesior.pl or Snake(both trusted memebers) to set the server up.

And sure they will not have DDos protection. But how good is your DDos protection? Haven't heard any good or bad things about it.

Well Sir.. According to the support board most of your users can't get it touch with you?
Well, if they at the same time:
- send me a private message here at Otland
- open a support ticket
- post to the support board
- and use a contact form on my website (or sometimes two - on two websites)
Then I am spammed with the same question 4 times. First of all, that is rude. Secondly, I only reply once. Then, I don't remember where I replied, so I might not reply at all. Support board is meant for support between users (community members), I don't usually reply here.
The only proper way to contact me if you need support is through a support ticket. This is the only way I can verify if the service you need help with is yours. I cannot, for obvious reasons, just take an IP address from anybody and do something on that server. There were a lot of big servers over time (including ShadowCores) that appreciated that.
I also don't let you talk to me on Skype. Email, contact form or private message are good for questions before you buy the service, when you don't have a client account yet. Never for support. So if "most of users" can't get in touch with me, then it either means they did not contact me properly, or more often they don't get answered everywhere but once.

* They have no ability to change a script without you changing it. (If they want you to set the server up)
That is completely false. You are free to modify any files. While at first you don't get root permission because the server is already set up (all necessary packages are installed, mysql is running, web server is running, php is installed and secured, etc), you can compile any TFS without root permission.
If you want, you can get root password for free immediately. The only reason why I don't give it to everyone is that when you get it, you no longer get support. That is because some users think they know what they're doing, ask for root password to execute random commands found online and 5 minutes later I need to fix their server. Even if you are a Linux Pro, in most cases you just don't need root password.

* Setting up a system is not hard now adays. Follow Elfs / Stians ubuntu guide, add the WWW files.
Which one of these outdated articles are you mentioning? Elf's articles are written for Debian 5, we have Debian 7 now. Package names changed, best practices change. Sure, if you are skilled, you can do that and I will always recommend to do that yourself (for the sake of learning). Then this service is not for you. It is meant for people who want to quickly set up a relatively cheap (for small servers it's always cheaper than Hetzner) server while they don't care about Linux and want to focus on developing OTS.

And this is a VPS you are giving correct? The the price should be way lower.. Why pays 120 eurs per month (8gb) to host an rl map? When they can get a hetzner server for 60 eurs, (48 GB RAM!) And pay Gesior.pl or Snake 5-10 eurs to set the server up?
8 GBs of RAM costs 120 EUR if you want Windows. I don't want you to want Windows, therefore the price is higher. It is less reliable, takes more time to install or fix later. Users tend to break it frequently. The primary reason why the price is higher is to discourage users from purchasing hosting service with Windows.

Fanatsy prices is what you have... Okay if its a small evo server that requiers like 1-2gb, thats 10-20 or 15-30 eurs per month pending on the OS.
And still then you can get a better VPS if you buy it yourself for like 20 eurs.
While you can get a "VPS" for 20 EUR, in most cases you will not get SSD disks or DDoS protection. You also don't get support from someone who know what OTS is (does Hetzner care that you run OTS and you don't have a library XXX, which you don't know how to install?). Hetzner's official policy is that they don't offer you any software support. They regularly refuse to replace failing hard drives. They make you pay 50 EUR if your motherboard is failing unless you are lucky. If your system doesn't boot, you're are stuck with rescue system and they don't care.

And STILL have money to pay ex. Gesior.pl or Snake(both trusted memebers) to set the server up.
If you want to pay them 5-10 EUR to fully set up your server, then I feel sorry for them. And I don't believe they can provide quality and up to date service for 5-10 EUR. It's just not possible.

And sure they will not have DDos protection. But how good is your DDos protection? Haven't heard any good or bad things about it.
If you don't hear about it, it means it works. Most users don't know they have been attacked. They ones that do usually use Windows server and they are experiencing lags because of a software exploit (hanging Lua scripts or a way to cause TFS to consume 100% of CPU time) than the network attack (both attacks usually happen at the same time).

I hope that clears it out for you about the differences in the service and in the price.

Back