• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Discussion: Where would you host (location & service), and why?

Where would you host a server?

• Total voters
Never considered using Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it. ;)

OVH has been at the top of my list because you get the most "bang for your buck" with them.

Based on this:
http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/

I would much rather place it in New York or France than Canada for global coverage.

For EU coverage only I would pick Germany or Switzerland. Although Netherlands is good as well. There are many good EU hosts.

Last edited:
Never considered using Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it. ;)

OVH has been at the top of my list because you get the most "bang for your buck" with them.

Idk what to say to that really, ive had maybe 4 VPS servers there in not a long time.
All of them have had "random kicks", imposible to connect to the server etc - even via the "restore" function they have on the website.
The last VPS I had I spent about 2 weeks talking to the support and got no where, all they could say is that yes I lose the connection (they did not wanna agree to that before, till I said either you try to login or I refund my money)
And it was hosted in Canada and I am from Sweden, the last guy agreed with me that there should be no problems with the distance etc

The only thing they could say "hope you choose us again", they also tried to blame it on my installations even if I said ive done the same installation for other ppl via my service aswell as on other companies (like hetzner, server4you, serverloft, etc etc) and never had any issues.

So IMO you do not get a "bang for your bucks".

I would go for hosteam.pl insted, good DDoS protection, EU host etc etc.

Based on this:
http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/

I would much rather place it in New York or France than Canada for global coverage.

For EU coverage only I would pick Germany or Switzerland. Although Netherlands is good as well. There are many good EU hosts.

Good point... New York is a good place. I'd probably grab a server there, if I were to host in the United States.

Idk what to say to that really, ive had maybe 4 VPS servers there in not a long time.
All of them have had "random kicks", imposible to connect to the server etc - even via the "restore" function they have on the website.
The last VPS I had I spent about 2 weeks talking to the support and got no where, all they could say is that yes I lose the connection (they did not wanna agree to that before, till I said either you try to login or I refund my money)
And it was hosted in Canada and I am from Sweden, the last guy agreed with me that there should be no problems with the distance etc

The only thing they could say "hope you choose us again", they also tried to blame it on my installations even if I said ive done the same installation for other ppl via my service aswell as on other companies (like hetzner, server4you, serverloft, etc etc) and never had any issues.

So IMO you do not get a "bang for your bucks".

I would go for hosteam.pl insted, good DDoS protection, EU host etc etc.

VPS servers don't come with good DDoS protection. Only dedicated servers. You may have had issues because of that...

You can't accurately judge an entire company (and all their products/services) because of one bad experience, with one bad product/service. The issue with choosing HostTeam is the fact that I am from the States. It's difficult to order through European companies. I have to go through verification processes, like sending identification documents to prove my identity, and stuff like that.

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like a European host is favorable by most thus far. Perhaps it's worth the trouble...

In regards to DDoS mitigation, how many PPS/Gbps should one get as a precaution? At least 20Gbps DDoS protection? It can become quite expensive.
OVH offers you (apparently) a three layered DDOS protection up to 480Gbits.
I am reselling vps from OVH thus I know as much as that.

OVH offers you (apparently) a three layered DDOS protection up to 480Gbits.
I am reselling vps from OVH thus I know as much as that.

Yeah, it's plenty. They told me the 'enterprise' level dedicated servers offer 160Gbps guaranteed DDoS protection.

Yeah, it's plenty. They told me the 'enterprise' level dedicated servers offer 160Gbps guaranteed DDoS protection.
Well all my customers have been liking OVHs protection so far. If under attack the ddos was mitigated within 5-10mins. So I, as a reseller, based on my customers feedback, can only recommend OVH to you :)

Before investing in DDoS protected servers, I would start off without it to see if its worth investing into later. As it can be quite expensive.
DigitalOcean is a great way to start off. They charge hourly and have very nices prices. The servers can be scaled down and up, created and cancelled in minutes.

Else I think Don Daniello offers cheap servers with ddos protection.

Alot say Canada,but i feel like if you put Canada on otservlist or here, a good share of people (including europeans) wont play just cause they see Canada, despite it being a decent ping. (I'm Canadian)

Before investing in DDoS protected servers, I would start off without it to see if its worth investing into later. As it can be quite expensive.
DigitalOcean is a great way to start off. They charge hourly and have very nices prices. The servers can be scaled down and up, created and cancelled in minutes.

Waddup good lookin. +1 to this

Good point... New York is a good place. I'd probably grab a server there, if I were to host in the United States.

VPS servers don't come with good DDoS protection. Only dedicated servers. You may have had issues because of that...

You can't accurately judge an entire company (and all their products/services) because of one bad experience, with one bad product/service. The issue with choosing HostTeam is the fact that I am from the States. It's difficult to order through European companies. I have to go through verification processes, like sending identification documents to prove my identity, and stuff like that.

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like a European host is favorable by most thus far. Perhaps it's worth the trouble...

1. Another guy had the IP, he paid me to set it up(so no reason for him to DDoS it)
2. Was a VPS to test my servers on linux, so only I had the IP.
3, 4. Me and the guy im doing a server with had this IP, he had nothing to win on DDoSing it, since he also had use of it.

They said nothing about the servers getting DDoSed so ye...

And the DDoS protection seems to be the same, except that you share the server itself.

I also have to send my license etc, same with all companies most likely.

I wouldn't reccomend DigitalOcean based on my experience. If for some reason your service is under attack they'll cut you off, and the ping was not that good when I set up some test servers.

I wouldn't reccomend DigitalOcean based on my experience. If for some reason your service is under attack they'll cut you off, and the ping was not that good when I set up some test servers.
If you need to upgrade or change your server, you can transfer and cancel the digitalocean box. You don't pay for a full month, but per hour the server is online. So if they cut the connection, you can just login through digitalocean, upload the files to another server and continue without needing further expenses.

If you are a ddos target, you most likely have a community large enough to support a different server. Digitalocean is the perfect way to start off, but its not the optimal long-term solution for popular servers.

Back