• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Diving back in to OTS, technical questions about hosting

Skylinx

Game Programmer
Reaction score
Hello everybody. It's been a very long time since I have created an OTS. My love for Tibia has never subsided though, and I wish to create a Canadian based OTS.
I don't want to give out too many details but I can confidently say it will for sure be original Tibia8.6 with a custom map. I want to make a North American based OT that people actually enjoy playing on, and will hopefully last years.

That being said, I am in need of a general push in the right direction. I've gotten permission from my workplace to use one of their server machines to host for the time being.

Which OS would be most suitable to host an OT in 2019?
I've read many things but I would like to get opinions from those on OTLand. Someone at my work even suggested CleanOS which looks quite interesting.

I've compiled and got Nekiros 1.3 TFS running on a basic windows platform. Is this a good choice for 8.6 in 2019?
I know asking for the best distro is an age old meme. If this is a stupid question, I apologize.

SSD's are much more popular today. Does running an OT through an SSD have any benefits?

How much does RAM clock speed affect an OTs performance? Would there be large noticeable difference between lets say 1600 and 2133?

Thank you in advance. <3

Ubuntu versions with systemd -> Ubuntu >= 15.04
No idea about Nekiros, but yes TFS 1.3 is a solid choice for an 8.6 server.
If you have large databases / lots of queries then yeah probably - but no need to be starting out with SSD. Scale to this if you need it. Though a great deal of commercially available servers are SSD as standard already.
I think it is unlikely you will notice any difference in RAM clock speed, but I don't know for certain.

The reason for running Ubuntu is because it'll allow you to use the following tutorial:

Sup there! I've just today also dived back into OTS, and I've been looking too hard for too long for answers I will not ever find... I kinda suck at programming, I don't know how to compile and this days it's very hard for me to find a distribution I can handle; back in the days you would just download and jump into editting and testing.

That being said, I'm a game designer, animation technitian and tibia ot veteran looking to just create, for fun. If you are willing to create an 8.6 ot (which is the version I've mastered the most) and you happen to need a hand, please, let me know. I've been willing to use my skills for years and just recently went public with this platforms.

I've created around 6 or 7 fully custom OTS since I started with this hobby earlier in the 2000s, and I've saved none of them, because I always tell myself I'll never use them again, but I always come back.

So please, if you happen to need ideas, helps with mapping, editing, content creating in general, just anything not related with programming really, send me a message.

Cheers

Back