• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling Edit source without recompiling?

DreadShi

Reaction score
Is it possible to edit source files and let changes take effect without recompiling files? as my pc have some issues running VS rn

Solution
Normally if you cant compile yourself, I would recommend you to fork otland/forgottenserver repo, add a commit to your fork with source changes and github actions will compile it for you.

However, if you want to use the latest sources, good luck. Windows hasn't compiled there for 6 months. (on github actions). I think there is a bug with the github actions scripts there that nobody has bothered to fix yet.

Maybe you can install virtualbox, set up a clean windows VM and get visual studio working there. Or find a friend you can pass source code to and get it compiled.
Take the time to compile it yourself and don't delete the build directory afterwards. This way, the next time you modify the sources, the build system will only recompile those files affected by the changes; reducing the compilation time by orders of magnitude, even if your personal computer is running low on resources.

I have attached a video file [1] to show how little time it takes to recompile the server engine if you don't delete the build directory.

Cheers.

amatria.

===
[1] Screen Recording 2021-05-20 at 19.03.35-1 (https://streamable.com/z2our2)

Take the time to compile it yourself and don't delete the build directory afterwards. This way, the next time you modify the sources, the build system will only recompile those files affected by the changes; reducing the compilation time by orders of magnitude, even if your personal computer is running low on resources.

I have attached a video file [1] to show how little time it takes to recompile the server engine if you don't delete the build directory.

Cheers.

amatria.

===
[1] Screen Recording 2021-05-20 at 19.03.35-1 (https://streamable.com/z2our2)
The problem is that i have issues running VS my windows won't open some exe files for some reason , for that i was searching for an alternative method

Normally if you cant compile yourself, I would recommend you to fork otland/forgottenserver repo, add a commit to your fork with source changes and github actions will compile it for you.

However, if you want to use the latest sources, good luck. Windows hasn't compiled there for 6 months. (on github actions). I think there is a bug with the github actions scripts there that nobody has bothered to fix yet.

Maybe you can install virtualbox, set up a clean windows VM and get visual studio working there. Or find a friend you can pass source code to and get it compiled.

Solution

@DreadShi
Well, @kornholi just fixed the github actions. So now this method works, just fork otland/forgottenserver, send commits to your fork, give it half an hour and click on actions, and github will have compiled .exe for you that you can download under actions artifacts.

@DreadShi
Well, @kornholi just fixed the github actions. So now this method works, just fork otland/forgottenserver, send commits to your fork, give it half an hour and click on actions, and github will have compiled .exe for you that you can download under actions artifacts.
Which workflow should i setup here ? :)

rkbsAB.jpg

Not sure, I just use the same files as otland/forgottenserver: (the folder with name .github).

build-vcpkg.yml:

I think if you make sure your repo has this .github folder with these files, it will use the same setup and actions as otland/forgottenserver.
i just have no idea what to do here since i never used github actions befor , this what i am seeing on actions tab
bM0irN.jpg

Looks fine, it just hasn't started yet.
Add a commit to the repo with source changes (modified cpp, h files), and it should start to run.

When it has completed, if no errors, it should appear artifacts here, artifacts are the compiled download packages. If it fails, you should be able to see the error message in the logs for the workflow.

Last edited:
Looks fine, it just hasn't started yet.
Add a commit to the repo with source changes (modified cpp, h files), and it should start to run.

When it has completed, if no errors, it should appear artifacts here, artifacts are the compiled download packages. If it fails, you should be able to see the error message in the logs for the workflow.
Thanks <3

Back