• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

English tutorial.

Yngwie

Reaction score
English Tutorial
After reading lots of threads and posts here on I thought I'd write a short tutorial on how to improve your own English.
Thus making yourself easier too understand both by people with high and low English skills. Rep++ would be appreciated if you enjoyed reading this, but isn't necessary as I've got no idea what it's for.

Too start of with, I do not speak English fluently myself, having that said I hope there won't be any flaming. The thread is completely written in the purpose of helping others to improve their English, and aren't meant as racism.

Basic rules of English grammar.

1. Capitals (aka BIG LETTERS)

In the English language there's several words which requires a capital letter in the beginning of the word, or the entire word capitalized. Some examples are following

Cities - Names of cities require a capital letter in the beginning, an example would be the city Yorkshire or any other city in the world, capital letters in a cities name aren't there too look good. They exist mainly to make the word stand out a bit, being more noticeable and easier too find in texts. Cities with a two word name, such as New York, requires capital letters in the beginning of both words, new York or New york would be wrong with other words.

Countries - Countries just like cities require a capital letter in the beginning, an example would be countries such as, England, Poland, Brazil. Just like cities countries with two words requires capitals in the beginning of both words, ie. The Netherlands (Also known as Holland) Why? Same reason as

Languages - Languages also believe it or not, require capital letters in the beginning, examples would be English, Polish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish.

Custom Titles (Person) - Custom Titles, such as Mr. Mrs. Miss, Dr. Requires capital letters, writing mr Anderson doesn't only look terrible, but it's also wrong. Custom Titles should be started with a capital letter and most often ended with a dot.

Self-Descriptive - Self-descriptive words are normally written with a non-capital start, ie. me, myself unless being the first word in a sentence. While the word 'I' always must be capital at all scenarios ie. I went fishing.

Sentence beginnings - The first word in a sentence must always be in capital. That means after every dot. Or question mark? The next word must begin with a capital letter. Example, John went fishing. When he got home his wife was waiting with the dinner.

2. Articles (a and an)

Articles are one of the most common errors on the internet, while it's quite easy to remember when it should be a and when it should be an unlike in other languages, such as the swedish 'en och ett' which are completely random.

So how does it work? It depends on which letter the word begins with, if it's a vowel (A, E, I, O, U, Y excluding W) the correct article would be an, as in an apple, an exploitation. The exception is W which is almost always connected with the article "the", as in "the war" or "the watchdog" writing, believe it or not, "A watchdog" or "a war" are considered incorrect, even though in modern times it's more or less considered correct, as languages evolve, much like the Swedish language exception 'Ett apelsin' being the correct article while most Swedish says 'En apelsin'.

3. Tips and tricks

Something most people forgets when writing on a forum is too reread and look for errors when they write a post, yeah well sure it's just a forum, but still lots of people ignores your posts when they're badly phrased. Reading through your post a few times while fixing errors improves your overall ability too write cause you'll most likely remember what you did wrong and won't do it again.

Good, hope that people will read this. Because I know many many people that writes like this:

They Write Like This In Every Single Word They Write, Pretty Annoying.

=)

I'll try update it as frequently as possible if people keeps posting such nice comments : >

lol whats that?

who cant english?

kick all polish then all can english HEHE :p

nah just kidding^^

EVERYONE COPY LINK AND SPAMM EVERYWHERE WITH TEXT ="Want free items? click here ~link~"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And all poland might learn something about english =D

People who don't speak a good english will not understand this :p

Back