• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion forum events

qaushinio

Banned User
Reaction score
Hey guys.

As members of this forum you may have noticed that thre is mapping contests each month. This way mappers got a way to obtain otland premium for free.

In my opinion there should be other events to make it possible for scripters/ webdesigners to obtain premium the way they do.

I would suggest something like a Website contest. Where people send theyre layouts or submit theyre newest websites to the otland staff in a contest and the one with the most beautiful/best homepage wins.

What do you guys think? :)

Idk about an "Script Contest".. Feels like it gonna be abused.

But the webbdesign contest sounds great! :)

Spriting Contest would be fun. Otfans had that once. first, second, and third place.

ye that would be awesome. Since it would give spriters and webdesigners a way to somehow take place in those ournaments.

(offtopic)
What does premium actually do? XD

ye that would be awesome. Since it would give spriters and webdesigners a way to somehow take place in those ournaments.

(offtopic)
What does premium actually do? XD

It support OTLand!
And you get access to 0.4 trunk :) (And the newest)

Like anything design related would be awesome. Like spriting, webdesign and just logo's?

Agree. It would make this forum even more interesting for us instead of just hugging the showoffs :3

Memers have hosted non official conps-like i hosted a spriting comp and offered premium as the prize - which forsaken had won..

But afaik we have to make those boards more active in order for talaturen to approve an official one.

Idk how you could do scripting.. But yh.. Design ones are easy

Some kinds of contests are simply harder to do then a "simple" mapping contest because there are different stuff that needs to be evaluated, when judging a map, you look at the overall design and the detail it has, judging other stuff like a script is much harder because unlike maps which you eventually end up judging "by the look of it", a script you have to evaluate stuff like how much the code is optimized, does it always work or are there specific circumstances where it would break, how easy it is to add/change stuff, etc...

However, if people really want them, we can have a test try of them and see if it works or not, we aren't only here to punish you after all :)

Hey guys.

As members of this forum you may have noticed that thre is mapping contests each month. This way mappers got a way to obtain otland premium for free.

In my opinion there should be other events to make it possible for scripters/ webdesigners to obtain premium the way they do.

I would suggest something like a Website contest. Where people send theyre layouts or submit theyre newest websites to the otland staff in a contest and the one with the most beautiful/best homepage wins.

What do you guys think? :)

We are aware members who possess other abilities (scripting etc) want a way to obtain premium, though with this comes a bit more time needed.
For scripting as Scarlet said:

The problem with a scripting contest is that we have to give some sort of objective to give some direction, but leave enough open for the creativity of users, otherwise we'll just get the same code rehashed over and over by multiple users.

Personally I think that if you're a good scripter then you should be able to get into the support team, but these competitions aren't about supporting members, it's about competing against other members to win >:]

Now webdesign, perhaps templates would be quite an easy one to give a direction/idea to.

not just templates but any design.. Like you could have 1 competition for art and each month it revolves you can do spriting then web design, the other maybe a logo, then a signature etc you have a wide variety to do..

If you are a great scripter and contribute a lot = privileged member such as cykotitan where you get permanent premium. You don't get that with mappers or designers for that matter. So i think scripting "competitions" is a little um.. of a bad idea xD.

Maybe a "scripter of the month" competition where the mods pick a list of scripters who have contributed codes etc from the resources and support thread and users vote (yes it will have favoritism but idk it could work) And the winner each month gets premium.

I don't think it will be a good idea to do it as a competition, there are alot mappers who left the mapping showoff because of the competitions (not the official ones). There are enough people who aren't looking for any kind of competition and will only be demotivated by it.
About the webdesign, this could be an idea if enough people are interested in it and if it goes the same way as the official mapping contest with signing up and without names.

Back