• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

getting started in web designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMac

entrepreneur
Reaction score
ok, i didnt know where to put this so i guess it will go here?:D..

so here is my question i want to get started on the web designing business so i want to know the tools i need. i know il need photoshop an a computer(ofc) but i want to know what else i need for example

1. i need to learn php & html right?
2. what other tools i need apart from photoshop & notepad?

if you have anything else that can help me dont hesitate in posting :)

thanks

It depends if you want provide design only or codes/systems/panels/whatever aswell. If it comes to only design, you need to learn HTML (XHTML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / HTML5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but if you want to provide codes and shit aswell you need to know PHP (PHP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There are also wrappers for Python, Ruby and other languages for web developement but PHP is most common, so stick to this one. Tools? Well, if it's only design all you need is graphics designing tool (Most likely Photoshop) and some text editor (suggesting Notepad++ if you're Windows user). If you want to make scripts, you need either Apache2, lighttpd or nginx and newest PHP for testing scripts. Also, if you want to do an operations on database, you'd have to learn MySQL - most common database driver.

Some links:
nginx news
Welcome! - The Apache HTTP Server Project
lighttpd fly light
PHP: PHP Manual - Manual
MySQL :: The world's most popular open source database
SQLite Home Page
PostgreSQL, Inc | Supporting Companies Using PostgreSQL Since 1999
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

I have read a course in HTML+CSS and I'm now reading a course about PHP and some javascript. Here are some recommended books(english):

"Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, and Javascript"
Jon Duckett
ISBN: 0470540702

"Spring Into PHP 5
Steven Holzner
ISBN: 0131498622

Dreamwaver be are great for desinger. any way if you prefer php i recoment you Ecalipse or PHPStorm from Jet Brains ;) most usefull and power itd

PHP and HTML are must to learn if you want to go for web-designing. Also you should know CSS.

PHP and HTML are must to learn if you want to go for web-designing. Also you should know CSS.
Nice digging. Look at the mofo date.
art fun GIF

Never programmed a single line php after several years of working as a web designer :)
My suggestions:
Get a programming introduction course on udemy. learn the concepts that are valid in almost all programming languages
Download Visual Studio Code (a very nice programming interface for free)
I went this path which I likes a LOT:
Html/Css in one batch. after i got confident with how it works I started learning javascript which was the biggest hustle to that point. After Javascript i got used to typescript/angular. if you're good at angular you will find a well paid job anywhere in the world.(same goes for react i guess)

Never programmed a single line php after several years of working as a web designer :)
My suggestions:
Get a programming introduction course on udemy. learn the concepts that are valid in almost all programming languages
Download Visual Studio Code (a very nice programming interface for free)
I went this path which I likes a LOT:
Html/Css in one batch. after i got confident with how it works I started learning javascript which was the biggest hustle to that point. After Javascript i got used to typescript/angular. if you're good at angular you will find a well paid job anywhere in the world.(same goes for react i guess)
Stooooooooop, this is 10 years old thread.

Reactions: Beo
it popped up for me and i didnt check the date & still feel like my answer could be useful for someone randomly stumbling on the thread
Stooooooooop, this is 10 years old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back