• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Hehemidus little spriting place

hehemidu

Excellent OT User
Reaction score
hiho everyone,

I started playing around with paint lately so i decided to make a little thread to show the things i come up with. Due to lack of time this month (due to exams) I won't be posting that many sprites but i hope that after my exams i can give u guys some sprites more frequently. Also i started using paint now but after exams i'll start using PS or gimp(not decided yet) :).

So here is my first sprite (edited already a bit)

the big version:
28r30xc.png

the resized to 32x32 version:
xbeer7.png

Cheers,
Hehemidu

Resized version sucks. Also with this new blade texture, blood looks strange and unreal. The one from "Post your latest work!" was better.

Seriously? Of course it's not the best, he is just a beginner (and using only MS Paint), but how about you help him improve if you can do better instead of saying it "sucks"? 1-word comments without criticism like "sucks" and "nice" are the reason that people stopped making good sprites and maps and everything. Try being more friendly next time :)

hiho everyone,

I started playing around with paint lately so i decided to make a little thread to show the things i come up with. Due to lack of time this month (due to exams) I won't be posting that many sprites but i hope that after my exams i can give u guys some sprites more frequently. Also i started using paint now but after exams i'll start using PS or gimp(not decided yet) :).

So here is my first sprite (edited already a bit)

the big version:
28r30xc.png

the resized to 32x32 version:
xbeer7.png

Cheers,
Hehemidu

I'm glad you decided to take my advice. The handle on the big sprite looks awesome, and blood is better too (than on the smaller one) but maybe it would be better if you randomize it a bit? It's highly unlikely that the blood would be only in a straight pattern instead of splattered around, you have to take these factors in mind. In order to make it like that, you will need some blended colors (steel+blood) instead of raw blood everywhere, so I will give them to you in a palette. I know it's hard to come up with them on your own when you don't have opacity tools in Paint so I suppose it will be helpful. Also about the line of light, it shouldn't be so jagged and noticeable, you should use a gradient-ish effect over the middle of the blade to blend the light in with the steel and make it less precise, like blurring it.

18e83b2e51.png

Here you have a color pallete for wooden handle, blood, blurred blood and steel.
Try playing around with it, get something like this

5377470dbd.png

You can also try to keep the blood like you already made it and compare which looks better to you. And fix the angle on the handle, it looks too squary at the moment. You should try focusing on small sprites at the beginning, and you'll move on to bigger works later when you learn more. Good luck :)

Keep it up my friend :) Looking awsum!

Should I also change his diaper…? From my personal experience on other PC’s graphical fields I know that the best way of learning is trying to do something without no one personal help or reading any tutorials. Sprites aren’t some sort of hard or complicated things to do, so you don’t need any extra help with filling few pixels with some proper colors. And being nice(I guess more accurate description will be lie to him by saying “good job”) will not change anything. He will think “yeah, he likes it” and move on. When He is upset, He will try to make me - the commentator, look foolish by making better stuff and my statement wrong…

Should I also change his diaper…? From my personal experience on other PC’s graphical fields I know that the best way of learning is trying to do something without no one personal help or reading any tutorials. Sprites aren’t some sort of hard or complicated things to do, so you don’t need any extra help with filling few pixels with some proper colors. And being nice(I guess more accurate description will be lie to him by saying “good job”) will not change anything. He will think “yeah, he likes it” and move on. When He is upset, He will try to make me - the commentator, look foolish by making better stuff and my statement wrong…

No actually, people nowadays don't have the nerves to put up with douches, and rather tend to get discouraged than 'enraged' to make better. If you prefer to learn alone without anyone's help, that's your personal preference, but I'm sure everyone will advance faster if they take advice from experienced people that already learned easy ways to do something. By your logic, every newborn should learn everything alone from beginning (no school, no teachers, no parents). Where do you think this world would be if it was like that, huh?

If you're not gonna help, don't leave negative comments at all. Everyone I know thinks you are an asshole because of this. If you used your knowledge to show people how to do something, everyone would appreciate it. Don't be the cancer of OTLand mate.

Sorry guys... Now I'll kiss every ass like every other respected user here... Happy?

Sorry guys... Now I'll kiss every ass like every other respected user here... Happy?

Nobody asks you to kiss anyone's ass, just be nice and help people to fix their errors, or at least point them out precisely. When they get better, you can be proud that you taught them something instead of bashing on them. Of course everyone's first work look bad, but we are here to aid them :)

Seriously? Of course it's not the best, he is just a beginner (and using only MS Paint), but how about you help him improve if you can do better instead of saying it "sucks"? 1-word comments without criticism like "sucks" and "nice" are the reason that people stopped making good sprites and maps and everything. Try being more friendly next time :)
You're right, about 80% of the mapping showoff and the entire old sprite community left because of the negative comments without any useful criticism, although I haven't seen a negative effect when people posted just honest compliments. Most people I've seen just got motivated and tried to make even better things. Also suggestions or ideas can be indeed useful for everyone. After all, supporting people with their work, no matter if this is by helping them or giving compliments if you like it, should always be motivating.

Ontopic:
Looks good for a first sprite, what you can do with the blood is let it a bit "vervagen" on the blade.
f-UOEM.png

You're right, about 80% of the mapping showoff and the entire old sprite community left because of the negative comments without any useful criticism, although I haven't seen a negative effect when people posted just honest compliments. Most people I've seen just got motivated and tried to make even better things. Also suggestions or ideas can be indeed useful for everyone. After all, supporting people with their work, no matter if this is by helping them or giving compliments if you like it, should always be motivating.

Ontopic:
Looks good for a first sprite, what you can do with the blood is let it a bit "vervagen" on the blade.
f-UOEM.png

Yeah, I get you. It's always much nicer to see an elaborate comment, though I deeply appreciate every positive comment and commendation.

thanks to all for every comment, I really appreciate it :). I dont mind people telling me its fugly, because i know it is, i'm just starting out and need a lot more practice before things will look decent.
Nobody will discourage me because i really like making them so far, so i'll keep making them untill i get bored or got no more time to make em.
every comment just gets me more excited and more willing to sprite!

On the blade: i will work some more on it tomorrow after my exam, i'll try to listen to all of you and hope it will look a bit better. only thing i'm not sure about is with what sprite i'll work further: the big or the small ,i find myself getting into trouble shading smaller things then bigger things.

thanks again for all the help so far!

cheers,
Hehemidu

That sprite is awesome for a begginer I like it a lot, keep it up you'll get better every time you make a sprite.
You might not even notice that, just compare your new sprite with your old

after some long inactive time : some new fugly sprite :p

102lftf.png

i'll try to keep u guys updated with some more work but i'm so swapped in rl right now that i dont have that much time :/

cheers,
hehemidu

Back