• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows How to disable Telnet and why

elf

Sing, sing blue silver
Senator
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
tayandenga
Twitch
tayandenga
Hello,

Today I will show you how to disable telnet server on your Windows machine, as many hosters have issues with crashing TheForgottenServer when someone spams connection attempts. But first, I'll explain a little why you should do that...

Telnet isn't used nowadays as before due to lack of security. It has been replaced almost everywhere by OpenSSH, which you probably know or at least heard of. Why that happened? Because Telnet sends clear text passwords and usernames through logins. That's why should be disabled on all servers. Some hosting providers are not disabling telnet by default, so you should ensure that it has been turned off as it's a great security risk to your servers. If you are using it, consider replacing.

So, you still want it enabled? Follow these steps if you decided to disable.

1. Click on "Start" button, then go to "Control Panel".

2a. (Windows Vista, Seven and Server 2008 users) Click the "System" icon and then "Administrator Tools";

2b. (Any other) Click the "Performance and Maintenance" icon. If the "Performance and Maintenance" icon is not present, the "Control Panel" might be set to classic view. If so, locate and click the "Administrative Tools" icon. Clicking either icon opens the "Administrative Tools" window.

3. Click on "Services" applet (services.msc if you prefer to use Run command or Start Search).

4. Locate the "Telnet" service, right-click on it and select "Properties".

5. In the "Startup Type" drop down menu, select "Disabled".

starttelnetservice.jpg

6. Click the "Apply" button, then click the "OK" button to complete the process.

If you followed point "2a" (VISTA, SEVEN or 2008), you may also want to uninstall it...

1. Go back to the "Control Panel" and click on "Programs".

2. Under the "Programs and Features" section, click "Turn Windows features on or off". If "User Account Control" permission confirmation request warning pops up, click on "Continue". If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password.

3. In the "Windows Features" dialog box, deselect (remove the tick as on image below) the Telnet Server check box.

installtelnetserver.jpg

At the end I want to note, that it would be great if you would even disable port 23 on your firewall (Windows or any other you use), which is the port used by Telnet server and client.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hello, i did this! exactly in the way you've explained, also i've researched on google to remove/disable ports on Windows Firewall, but i have a questions, locally its possible to crash because i've tested it, but as i dont have a way to test it remotely, does it work?

Thanks for the replies.

Hello, i did this! exactly in the way you've explained, also i've researched on google to remove/disable ports on Windows Firewall, but i have a questions, locally its possible to crash because i've tested it, but as i dont have a way to test it remotely, does it work?

Thanks for the replies.

locally- why someone would want to kick-ass his own server?
remotely- if you disable port, 1% (because I have to leave some possibility after all :)) chance to get a crash.

@UP Okay elf, the problem persist, i've just make sure if locally can be crashed, and remotelly can be crashed too, any suggestion? Thanks.

SOMETHING ELSE: Remember that im talking about the telnet 7171 Thingy bug, im still UNABLE, to prevent this crash..

Things that i've done.

1º Shutdown/disable telnet port (23) normally, and throught system32/drivers/etc/hosts too
2º Closed in my Modem/router firewall the port 23 TCP and UDP BOTH!
3º Closed the port 23 in the Windows Firewall, closed port on the modem/router
4º Used IPSec tutorial as suggested before by someone else in this forum throught http://redmondmag.com/Articles/2001/04/01/Tightening-Telnet-Step-by-Step.aspx?Page=1 <--(from the first step to step 23)

And i have people which works with me to test this out. They succeed (still crashable)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
What a "great" hosting services, if they provide you free bugs.

I also know some dutch bank that still uses telnet lol.

Im using my own computer, to host this server. Any way to REMOVE telnet? because by disabling it, doesnt work.

WINXP-Sp2 USER

I guess the problem is.
They doesn't try to connect with the port 23 but with the port 7171 or whatever. That's the point that I think blocking the port 23 doesn't help.

idk why, but on my pc i dont have telnet services, and in the windows, both the checkbox is empty. lol

@UP Okay elf, the problem persist, i've just make sure if locally can be crashed, and remotelly can be crashed too, any suggestion? Thanks.

SOMETHING ELSE: Remember that im talking about the telnet 7171 Thingy bug, im still UNABLE, to prevent this crash..

Things that i've done.

1º Shutdown/disable telnet port (23) normally, and throught system32/drivers/etc/hosts too
2º Closed in my Modem/router firewall the port 23 TCP and UDP BOTH!
3º Closed the port 23 in the Windows Firewall, closed port on the modem/router
4º Used IPSec tutorial as suggested before by someone else in this forum throught Tightening Telnet Step by Step -- Redmondmag.com <--(from the first step to step 23)

And i have people which works with me to test this out. They succeed (still crashable)

Thanks for any help.

i have the same problem as you, can someone help us.

got easier way.
run > optionalfeatures > disable there.
:)

Back