• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to make it better

esnio12

Reaction score
Anyone can help-me how i can change in this sprite? i'm newbie at this world xD

I think this is to be a kabuto sannin, a character of Anime Naruto

lzKbb0n.png

Of course @esnio12!

Think less about the details and more on format and volume for now.
You won't get a good result if you just make a shape and throw only one color with the paint bucket, use more colors! :)

Of course @esnio12!

Think less about the details and more on format and volume for now.
You won't get a good result if you just make a shape and throw only one color with the paint bucket, use more colors! :)
Thanks for reply.

I don't know much about coloring, what do you think?

2RBEZS5.png

Thanks for reply.

I don't know much about coloring, what do you think?

2RBEZS5.png
Don't worry, you did a great start!

I think you should remove that detail on his hood and the snake for a while.
He's a little thin at moment, so removing those details you will be able to edit and improve overall shape.

- Increase size if you must, don't restrict yourself to 32x size.
- Put darker colors, try to create texture.
- Make dark colours and bright ones face themselves, it's called contrast.

Simple edit

2RBEZS5[1].png

Now you will try another outfit, and will try apply what i did on that one.

Don't worry, you did a great start!

I think you should remove that detail on his hood and the snake for a while.
He's a little thin at moment, so removing those details you will be able to edit and improve overall shape.
sHS5R5G.png

Sorry, I'm a little drunk.
- Increase size if you must, don't restrict yourself to 32x size.
- Put darker colors, try to create texture.
- Make dark colours and bright ones face themselves, it's called contrast.

Simple edit

View attachment 30500

Now you will try another outfit, and will try apply what i did on that one.

Thanks for the tips and the samples you gave me, really will help me a little acquaintance like perspectives of the Sprites, I will work a little on the shapes and colors

Thanks for the tips and the samples you gave me, really will help me a little acquaintance like perspectives of the Sprites, I will work a little on the shapes and colors

Look that we have two perspectives here.
> Madarada did a good painting over the sprite.
> Vingart brought us a good design for the Snake around him.

However, Not sure, but I believe the snake comes from him as a tail. You just need adapt Vingart design for it ;)

Can you please show me a good coloring program and where to start coloring?
If there's any color contrast, among others

Can you please show me a good coloring program and where to start coloring?
If there's any color contrast, among others
I would say what makes a good sprites are the artist, the tools just add workflow to the process.

You may use XP Paint, (as I use in some sprites for polishing them.. I don't like Win7 Paint, but you may use it too).
Fireworks MX2004 (is a good tool I do use at most of time) but I'm sure Photoshop is way better, with more resources/tools.
Other options: Graphics gale, Paint.NET, Gimp

About how to start coloring:
When I started spriting, most of the spriters where doing outlines to make their sprites
It was harder to fix perspective while doing the sprite, it's much harder to get a sense of what the sprite will become.

Many people were doing outlines at that time, and putting a lot of details into it. Then the painting were very limited by the outline.

When I did my first dragon back in 2009, I started to figure out that it's a lot easier to see results if you use a 4x4 rounded brush and draw the shape.
Ex:
y4ojp8A.png

Many of the best spriters today use this trick. It's quick, easy and made me and many understand perspective way faster.
The second step is just add light source, you can do small fixes to the shape at any moment. This way:
  • You get better volume idea
  • You can foccus on the kind of surface then add details later
  • You're not limited by outline
  • You can see what gonna be lighter or darker

Last edited:
Thanks for All tips
I have did that sprite

Anyone know how to make it better?
hahaha!

mwYzoco.png

I did a remake for you, in the next attempts try to give more volume to the model, both working outline more, and working the texture, I did not do a texture for that sprite, try to work on it, when I started I liked using the citizen as an editing base to create other sprites
X18MUjh.png

another tip, try not to use black pixels inside the sprite, only in the outline, inside the outline use only other colors, and to make the sprite softer use the AA for when you see a change of colors.

And I hope you understand, I do not speak English so I'm using google translator to try to explain, but many expressions that I would like to use to express myself better would be out of context XD

EDIT
Textures
djYr1eh.png

Last edited:
I did a remake for you, in the next attempts try to give more volume to the model, both working outline more, and working the texture, I did not do a texture for that sprite, try to work on it, when I started I liked using the citizen as an editing base to create other sprites
X18MUjh.png

another tip, try not to use black pixels inside the sprite, only in the outline, inside the outline use only other colors, and to make the sprite softer use the AA for when you see a change of colors.

And I hope you understand, I do not speak English so I'm using google translator to try to explain, but many expressions that I would like to use to express myself better would be out of context XD

EDIT
Textures
djYr1eh.png
Very good.

Another Sprite I did, basing no Naruto Rikudou for my server of Narutibia.
if anyone wants know www.facebook.com/extnl
is a Brazilian server
bxBRGff.png

My new Gallery

Characters of Naruto, for a project (ExTNL)
I know it's not a goods sprite, but i need for make the characters on game

HnbCRDJ.png

Asuma, Kaguya, Pakura, Shin, Naruto Rikudou, Sasuke Rikudou

Last edited:
Back