• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Laptop Poor Relation To Desktop?

GangsteR

RPG Maker
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks that Laptops don't cut the mustard when compared to a similar spec Desktop or even lower spec one come to that?

I have to use a Laptop when I'm out and about in connection with my work but can't wait to get back to the office and my Desktop.

I have used some of the very latest Laptops - lots of RAM decent HD and on paper pretty good graphics yet I find that when you start to use them in anger the fans soon ramp up and the Laptop slows down. The keyboards are also a nightmare if you are a proper typist.

They may be sold in their thousands as people fall for the space saving hype but give me my dedicated home office with Desktop, large comfy chair, nice desk and large monitor any day. As for Notebooks, what the hell are they all about?

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that Laptops don't cut the mustard when compared to a similar spec Desktop or even lower spec one come to that?

I have to use a Laptop when I'm out and about in connection with my work but can't wait to get back to the office and my Desktop.

I have used some of the very latest Laptops - lots of RAM decent HD and on paper pretty good graphics yet I find that when you start to use them in anger the fans soon ramp up and the Laptop slows down. The keyboards are also a nightmare if you are a proper typist.

They may be sold in their thousands as people fall for the space saving hype but give me my dedicated home office with Desktop, large comfy chair, nice desk and large monitor any day. As for Notebooks, what the hell are they all about?

Well, laptops are both positive and negative.

-
Barely customizable after buy
Small keyboard

+
Size\weight - Easy to carry with you.
Wireless LAN, so surfzones at some places (At least here in Sweden)

If I had enough money I'd still use a desktop PC, but I'd also buy a laptop to carry with me, for internet, schoolwork and so on.

And so on.

*facepalm*

Laptops are ment for portability, not for gaming and high-performance, because honestly, would you rather carry around a business grade UPS, your PC tower and your screen, or a small light laptop?

Exactly.

A laptop can, and never will be as powerful as a desktop, mainly because it has limited space and is meant for portability, not gaming.
Sure there is certain so called "gaming laptops", but they are merely bling-bling, since compared to a desktop it will get its ass kicked, not to mention that it will get hot as hell after a while, and have a battery time of like ... 20 minutes.

Laptops will always be for portability and mobile light work, and desktops will always be for stationary high performance tasks such as gaming, 3D rendering or server stuff.

Comparing those two is silly since then you might as well compare a plane and a car.

@UP
Wrong :)
Nowdays, you can get a laptop for gaming.
An example is the 'Desktop' series for VAIO laptops.
They have 18.7" screen, and have processors running up to 3.2Ghz and 4GB RAM, and even with 1080p screens, Blu-Ray drivers, and so on :p
Just depends on how fat your pocket is...

\\

@UP
Wrong :)
Nowdays, you can get a laptop for gaming.
An example is the 'Desktop' series for VAIO laptops.
They have 18.7" screen, and have processors running up to 3.2Ghz and 4GB RAM, and even with 1080p screens, Blu-Ray drivers, and so on :p
Just depends on how fat your pocket is...

\\

to some extent tho most laptops will have trouble running at max performance without heating up a little bit

Back