• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

List of Sprite Changes Between 7.4 and 7.72 (7.6)

I remember doing something like this way back in the day. It's not as easy as you think and you do have to edit the .dat file (and corresponding server-side file), if you want 1:1 behavior.
Also given the way that borders work I don't think it would work out-of-the-box, if that is what you need, you would also need specific map editing. Remember that some borders were walkable in 7.4 but not in >7.6 (water-ground borders mostly), and borders in >7.6 are actually a combination of two overlapped ground tiles.

You have relevant info about borders here: 7.4 water walkable borders (https://otland.net/threads/7-4-water-walkable-borders.276051/post-2656520)

There is no shortcut to have a 7.72 client with 7.4 sprites, you have to manually change sprites and test on your engine. Step by step if you don't want to broke anything. It's not the same map and on nostalrius engine than the map on othire for example.

I have a Nostalrius 7.4 converted server, with a modified client, but it's a lot of work (almost 4 years of work to have a RL 7.4 server)
First I had to clean all map, then started to change all of the things that didn't exist on 7.4 like dark cathedral, fix almost all borders around the map, recreate daily spawns, and a miriad of little things that changed after 7.4 version...

Then you need to recreate mechanics to mimic 7.4 version (UH Trap, spears, heigh stack block, overspawn, etc...), delete items and monsters, change items (wands, etc...), change or delete npcs, recreate behaviour scripts, change monsters loots, magic, regenerations................to infinite.

I can't remember all of the changes I made, including fixes for a lot of bugs on the Nostalrius engine maybe thousands of commits along the last 4 years.

If you need some tips there are some useful threads:
My initial project in 2017: 7.4 Cipsoft Legacy Server (https://otland.net/threads/7-4-cipsoft-legacy-server.252055/)
The most info here: Tibiantis - reversed old Tibia project - discussion thread (https://otland.net/threads/tibiantis-reversed-old-tibia-project-discussion-thread.267116/)
7.4 map: [7.4] Authentic Real Map - Extracted from TibiCAM files (https://otland.net/threads/7-4-authentic-real-map-extracted-from-tibicam-files.270466/page-4#post-2658757)
7.4 features: 7.4 and 7.72? What's the big difference? (https://otland.net/threads/7-4-and-7-72-whats-the-big-difference.247049/#post-2404009)
Tibiantis fansites
Archive.org for tibia.com
etc...

Thanks for the replies and feedback guys.

I've actually found a shortcut for creating a "7.4" sprite file, I've tested what I've done so far on my 7.7 server and it's working fine and should be done in a day or two. I'll upload it for anyone to use once it is complete.

Admittedly, yes, you'll need to edit a few border tiles in your items file to make them walkable again but that is simple. There will also be some areas that I don't think will require "diagonal walking" to get to anymore. Unless, as you pointed out, you make some minor adjustments to your map (the elf spawn in north-west Ab'Dendriel is a good example).

@tarantonio-

It is a ton a work isn't it? Well done on getting your 7.4 project done. I'll read all your links even though I'm going in a similar but slightly different direction.

I was originally going to do the same as you, but like you said, I discovered that it's not a walk in the park and if you do it half-assed you'll never get it perfect. I'm just going to run my server (privately for old guildmates from Nova) on the 7.7 content leaked from Cipsoft.

I'll still release the 7.4 sprite file to help others in the future.

@EternalOblong
If you can upload that sprites I will be grateful, I also work with nostalrius files.

Greetings

Check back in a couple of days. I will only be testing my .spr files on the official 7.72 Cipsoft client.

I will more than likely upload two sets. One will be a full pack of 7.4 sprites (with the proper water/land border tiles and the minor complications that comes with them).

Another pack will be a simpler version which will change 99% of sprites to 7.4 but will retain the 7.7 water and water borders (this will be very easy to use on any 7.7 server). This pack might be enough for people to get their nostalgic feelings-- but if not then they would have to use the more complex pack aforementioned.

Here is an example of the easy to use mixed pack (7.4 items, grass tiles with 7.7 water and borders):

1686847668568.png

@tarantonio

Is there any chance you could share how the water sprites work in 7.4?

Looks like each tile is cycling through a number of different sprites to create the tidal animation:

Do you know how many different sprites are used per tile?

Mixed 7.4 and 7.72 sprites which require no server or map editing to run:

@tarantonio

Looks like each tile is cycling through a number of different sprites to create the tidal animation:

You have to change not only the sprites on the client. As far as I remember (I made that change years ago...) you need to change some sprites on the map to make things work. The water tiles also need a rework of some scripts like fishing rod.
If you only change borders on client it can be a mess once you log into the server, you need to fix a lot of things directly on the map. Also walkable tiles are not the same, you will need an object editor to fix them. Take my last post to help you on that work.

Also, one of the worst things to change is mountain borders, you need to delete a lot of sprites on the map (all of the mountain borders)

Replacing sprites inside the .spr file is honestly a road to nowhere. What I mean is that you will never get a perfect/satisfactory result this way, due to many differences. Of course if you are completely fine with it, then sure, replacing some sprites is the easiest and the least demanding, only a bit tedious.

But if you want a perfect result, the best and cleanest way is to work on the .dat file, not .spr. Specifically, you can convert the 7.4 .dat file into 7.7 .dat file format (there are some slight differences in flags, easy to figure out) and insert there empty slots in order to match all the ids with the 7.7 ids. This way you will have 7.7 .dat file containing all and only 7.4 objects with their original flags/settings and correct sprites, as after that you will be able to load the original 7.4 .spr file into the 7.7 client without ANY modification. Means your client will be using the original 7.4 spr file from 2004 year. This ensures you will have it all right.

There is one thing more to do though, which is the map. You will need to edit the walls, borders etc. This is quite troublesome. A lot of tedious work again, if you'd be doing it manually, or you can make some scripts for that, which will check objects on each square and replace certain ids under some conditions. This is because borders are different in 7.7, they are actually made of two objects. One is the shore with water animation and the other is floor, which can be grass but also sand, snow and other types. That's why you won't get rid of them just by editing sprites. Another thing is that some objects may have different number of sprites (animation).

There's another thread about this here: Tibia 7.7 replaced with 7.4 sprites (https://otland.net/threads/tibia-7-7-replaced-with-7-4-sprites.284480/#post-2720335)

Last edited:
Reading both your posts I think my overwhelming conclusion is that anyone who is willing to do all the changes required on the map and items to make the full 7.4 sprites work (borders, water etc) would also be capable of converting their own sprite borders.

I think I'll stop now that I've released my easy to use half 7.4/7.7 file, it is enough to feel a little nostalgia and it is a simple plug and play experience on the popular Nostalrius server.

Maybe someone might use it as a base to complete a full project in the future.

One thing I found when I was searching through the various client sprite files is that a lot of item sprites (a lot of small things like baking trays etc) got updated in 7.5 and the graphical updates in 7.6 mostly just applied to tiles and borders.

Thanks both!

@tarantonio

About your question:
Item 629.jpg
Water in 7.4 is an animation of 16 steps of 8 sprites. Add one layer when it comes to borders.
Did this image solve your question?

Back