• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows Mobile Connection - Question

Nikkster

Programmer
Reaction score
Hello folks. Today I only have one simple question, and it is, does it work to run a server on my laptop when having a Mobile Connection thing connected to the computer if I have the specific ports opened which is 7171/8080/3036.?

This is just a simple question, been wondering about it in a few weeks. I was talking to my computer teacher and he told me it'll work. But, I am curious about what you think here on otland, if it'd work? My laptop has currently 4GB Ram and so on, using vista.

Have a good day mates. :)

It should, yes. But everyone would get disconnected if you lose connection to the Internet for even a couple of seconds, and your battery time wouldn't be as good as it would normally.

Hmm, well... I was at my grandparents house and he didn't lose his connection one time, and he was using a mobile connection thing and i'm living closer my ISP than he does. ^^

Hmm, what about Telia then? Anyway, me or my grandfather didn't lose our connection when we tried it in 1 hour. :p

So what do you recommend Saj?

Yes, but if you move around, taking the computer with you somewhere, it is quite likely that you lose connection at least sometimes.

Well i gotta warn you... more or less all companies offering internet via 3G have a limit on data-traffic (since they aim for their service to be used ONLY for web-browsing), usually its 1 - 5 GB.
After this limit has been reached they usually slow your net down to GSM/dial-up speed (56kbit/s).

So yeah, i suggest you check with your 3G provider to see how much traffic they offer per month.

Also regarding net stability... it entierly depends on how close you are to a 3G-antenna, if you are close, you wont have any problems at all, however if you are too far it might randomly either disconnect or switch to GSM (meaning dial-up speed).

No, you're right Blue. I am living pretty close to my ISP, that's why I can have 100/100 mbts at home, but anyway where we are going to be on a holiday, there's a company that'll provide us internet stuff, and Telia isn't very far from there too, so I hope I won't get any disconnects. ^^ Anyway thanks.

Back