• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Complaint Moderation overzealousness

Fichom

Reaction score
I made a post that was on-topic to a thread. The post was deleted with no feedback, other than the "not being on-topic", despite it being very much on topic - as proven by about half of other posts of the same nature in the thread with 11 pages - none of them deleted.

I posted a Complaint in the Feedback forum on this moderation action, and it doesn't get approved. Smells like tender egos and poor emotions management on the moderation team - maybe the people in charge should check on the mods a bit more often. My complaint was, while direct, very much proper and enquiring of the offense that the original post was deleted for - which was, mind you, not explained. And the response to that was to not approve my message! Sorry for any offense, but that's the kind of government tyrannies employ.

Now whichever mod decided to not approve my complaint, I'd like to get either a response here, or a DM, and let me know what I did wrong - now in two cases. I thought this was meant to be a cohesive community of tibia-lovers, but apparently some power-tripping characters made their way to the moderation team. Lovely.

Welcome to otland my friend.
But to be fair, most of mods are tired of the community, which I can understand and relate.
They are people and most of them still work for the forum after years while still getting bashed.
Each person will understand rules differently and might apply them in different ways, you can complain but from my personal experience it won't change anything and they will start targeting you either way.
I literally got warnings that don't make sense at all like being punished by "Advertising" after I created a topic telling people to not buy OTCV8. It's pointless to try and discuss as like you said, many of those mods will enter an ego/power trip.

Insisting on it will probably get you banned, like I was.
Good luck!

I can understand the issues of having to moderate "on the side" while having an actual life. It's a thankless vocation, which is why you'd expect people to circulate around once they get burned out. Nothing bad about having had enough, but persisting to keep on doing it because... well, who knows why, is just bad for both the community, and for personal health of the moderators, it's autodestructive.

Anyways, glad to see there are at least some level-headed people around. Thank you for the heads-up.

Last edited:
Your other thread was flagged for spam automatically. It was not "not approved", it simply wasn't approved yet. But since you wrote another one, it won't be approved - in fact, it's double posting.

I looked at your deleted posts and you asked for help in the Downloads thread. Moderator's action was correct, you likely received a notification saying that it's not a support board and to open a new thread in the support board. We do this to keep the thread in Downloads focused on reviewing the content rather than providing support - even if related to said content. You were not warned/punished in any way for that unlike @Night Wolf, who has multiple warnings on his account for not following rules.

Ok, auto-flag seems reasonable, so I concede on that point - I apologise for being impatient - though it would be nice if it didn't disappear from my view (so I knew it was, at the least, in some kind of process).

On the note of keeping things tidy, I do have to state my opinion on how silly I think it is to clutter the support forums with new threads for every single new issue. Especially if you consider how my (or anyone else's) post regarding issue with the particular download/instructions helps future thread readers on identifying and resolving issues someone else already stumbled upon. I've literally resolved 2 mistaken steps by reading what other people posted in the thread that is in question.

Not trying to be annoying and sound like a broken record, but I really think it would in fact not have been better if the replies that helped me with the download that is discussed only in that particular thread to be on a completely different board, with a most likely hard to coincide title. If I followed such a policy (which, sure, if you insist), it would have more than likely resulted in me posting a new thread for each little issue I have, and then, not unlikely, get little to no answers if I didn't articulate what exact version and download I was referencing, linking it, and describing my problems in great detail.

But ok, I understand the point of "let's keep it clean", despite me not agreeing on what "clean" might mean in this case. Let me agree with you on the point that that's how things are (and in reality, if I don't, well, too bad for me). But do please then explain how am I supposed to feel when my message that is in the type of "I need help with the download discussed in this thread" is marked as off-topic, whilst in the same thread just 1 page before there are posts of that exact same nature.

Regardless, thank you for answering.

what exact version and download I was referencing, linking it, and describing my problems in great detail
This is generally how support boards threads should always be open. Specific, in detail. It's okay to have many threads about small issues because it then provides a record of a specific problem and solution for others to see when searching. Most people don't read all posts in a given thread hoping to find a solution but rather search for it (or just don't search and ask something that was already answered).

The Support board is configured in a way that allows for marking "best answer" which makes the solution prominently clear and provides incentive (points) to the person who helped. These are not available in the Downloads section.

If you have seen other posts in the Downloads thread asking for support then it is likely they were older (when rules/procedure for moderators weren't as they are today and we didn't have "best answer" system) or it was simply inconsistent moderation - that happens too.

This is generally how support boards threads should always be open. Specific, in detail. It's okay to have many threads about small issues because it then provides a record of a specific problem and solution for others to see when searching. Most people don't read all posts in a given thread hoping to find a solution but rather search for it (or just don't search and ask something that was already answered).

The Support board is configured in a way that allows for marking "best answer" which makes the solution prominently clear and provides incentive (points) to the person who helped. These are not available in the Downloads section.
Very well, if that's how the forums are structured, I'll follow suite. Though I'd suggest maybe implementing the "best answer" in this board as well (might not make sense on a first glance, but it actually kind of would).
And not trying to beat on a dead horse here, but they were from like march of this year...

Agani, thank you for having the patience to answer my conundrums.
Best regards.

Back