Need help? Ask it properly and correctly!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Xenios, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenios

Xenios Well-Known Member

Hello.

Before you create a new thread you will need to follow some guidelines (not rules) which can be helpful for you and the reader. How better the reader can understand your post, how much faster you will get help!

#1. Use a clear yet descriptive title with your problem and keep it objective!

#2. Make sure your English is readable. If your English isn't good, I suggest you
    to ask your friends, nearby family to help or use a translator like Google Translate.

#3. Use prefixes when you create your thread (next to the title). People will find your thread faster when they posses the knowledge in the specific area you have trouble with. You can choose out of: Compiling, Linux, Lua and Windows.

#4. Always post all the errors you get, preferred in code tags.

#5. Post the server you are using, knowing the server beforehand will help people support you faster in case the server you are using doesn't have a feature.

#6. Give as much useful information as possible, this may help other people for solving your problem! This includes Screenshots, errors, how to produce the problem, etc.

#7. When you problem is solved then go to your thread and change the prefix to: Solved So other people don't have to read all posts to see if you still need help or not.

#8. Always be friendly and have respect to anyone who helped or tried to.

#9. Always try to solve it by yourself or search the web (Google) before you ask, you may learn something then! :thumbup:

#10. Last but not least, please do not double post. A double post is when you post after yourself in a thread in less than 24 hours.

Example of a post asking for support:

Title: Unknown map node when loading map
    Thank you for reading, hope it helps you!

Regards,
    Xenios

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
    Xikini, LordVissie and Skrypton like this.
  2. nsanee

nsanee Member

I'd like to add something, because it isn't clear yet to some people that post here

Thread titles like:
    - "Help!"
    - "Help plx!"
    - "Help plx rep++!"
    - "Help I giff rep fast plx!"
    - "Look here pls"
    - "Bug"
    - "Error"

- and every other single thread named without describing the problem will get deleted, without further notice.
    - also please note that you are not allowed to address specific users in your thread name, eg "Cykotitan please help me!"

This has become a real plague here so I'll be giving warnings and possibly infractions for those who are frequently breaking these rules.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    Xikini, LordVissie and WibbenZ like this.
  3. Scarlet Ayleid

Scarlet Ayleid Well-Known Member

A new rule has been added

Xikini and StreamSide like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.