• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

New computer setup. Good for a server?

Skylinx

Game Programmer
Reaction score
Ey guys.
Im debating hugely on whether getting a dedicated server, or not.
why?
The only reason is because of the damn dedicated connection.
This is my house computer

Intel Core i7 3.06 Ghz
8 GB Triple channel Corsair RAM
1 TB Harddrive
250 GB Backup Drive
Intel X-58 Motherboard

My internet speed is fairly good, around 10K on download and 1.5K on upload.
(THAT SUCKS!!)

My map is around 30 mb.
Not big at all, but it's very good.

ONE PROBLEM.
I use my computer.
I play games .. and I use other internet services.
-___-
So should I buy a dedicated just for the internet connection?
In Canada, good internet is nearly impossible to get.
I know in northern euro countries, like sweden and netherlands that fast internet connection is a no problem, but here in Canada, it's not easy to obtain.

Your computers perfect for hosting, but yes our internet sucks. (Canada Fail) If you play on the server going big, and having more than 30 players, than yeah buy a dedicated. If not your computer should host it perfectly fine.

Yeah, my servers custom, got a team of my rl friends going, and were planning on it going big.
Im thinking of maybe just buying a dedicated from quebec, with like dual core, 4 gb ram and stuff.
But with nice internet connection.

Think about how much the dedicated costs and then check the donations and set a good price to balance it.
You should host without dedicated in the first and when you got some players you just ask them in a poll or kinda if they would like to have a dedicated server etc.

Instead of buying a dedicated server, buy a good internet connection. Alot of ISP will give you a custom internet connection for a little extra + money for more connection and BW.

Yeah but I also USE my computer for personal uses.
So idk, I will try contacting my ISP about that connection.

But yeah, im thinking
1. Host off my computer for about a month (Or I get enough stacked donations)
2. Get enough donations then buy a cheap dedi
3. Try getting more players.

Back