• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Open Tibia GameJams - discussion

Nemphis

Veteran OT User
Reaction score
What is a GameJam?
A gameJam is where a bunch of people make games after a chosen theme and some requirements for a short amount of time.

Before the times up, each project must be uploaded to a website like itch.io for easy access so anyone could play it.
Those that did the gamejam can vote on a couple of categories on how well the game did, like graphics, sounds, if its fun, story etc. and then after voting ends there will be a winner of the gamejam.

Why do gamejams exist?
(My idea of what it is): To get more people into game developement. + its super fun.

How could this be converted to Open Tibia? This is where the discussion starts.
What can we do to make more OT-Developers and start making the community grow again?

• Easy access: We already have useful tutorials on how to get started. Maybe a new and updated tutorial could be made to make it even easier for newcomers to begin a fresh project.
  • Instead of sharing the project, we share IP-Address so players could join the server and play.
  • Projects could be fully shared after the jam is done so people could see how the code works for specific things that you have made.
  • All projects must use the same game version ( game version will be decided as a requirement )
  • No project will use private sources, all servers must be easy to connect from one client(Which is the original tibia client, of the version we agreed upon)
  • We could have a 2-week deadline. (or another limit)
  • NO MONEY SHOPS, DONATIONS NOT ALLOWED
  • Using the latest TFS-version so everyone starts at the same square.
Open Tibia has grown into the branch of making money. Servers are crazy detailed, have advanced and complicated systems.
The servers are in development for months and months, even years and some never see the light of day.

This could be a way to get more servers up and running. Yes I understand they would be less of quality, but honestly I dont really care if the maps are amazingly detailed, I just want to have fun when I play. Super advanced and confusing mechanics is a no-no.
Think of when OT was a young genre, you jump between a few servers per day and just had fun playing and testing. No one argued of what pay-to-win was. It didnt even exist at the time.

What do you think that reads this, is it a good idea? If no, what could be changed, or why a no? If yes, anything that could be added to make it even better?

The idea of a GameJam is not just to bring more developers to the party.
But to make it a learning experience.
In a gamejam you should not beat yourself up if you can't submit a game, the most important part is that you have fun doing it, and getting new experience in doing it.

Same thing would work here.
Use it as a learning experience and have fun.
Scripts will be bad, and there will be bugs. But after the jam you could always continue working on it if you liked the result and the ideas you have.

You learn to work towards a deadline. Your creativity will be put on test.
If there's enough interest in this, it could be really fun!

I'd rather bet more advanced people to want to join this than beginners.
I wonder this to be only about quests or any other bit of the game experience.
Like redesigning existings quests like POI, creating quests with resourceful systems or appealing lore, new set of spells, reworked vocations or other different system.
Let's also decrease the duration to the usual range of time for gamejams - 24~72 hours - more likely to semi-retired devs to participate.
If we keep the scope narrower it would yield better quality stuff. I'd probably give it a try.

I'd rather bet more advanced people to want to join this than beginners.
I wonder this to be only about quests or any other bit of the game experience.
Like redesigning existings quests like POI, creating quests with resourceful systems or appealing lore, new set of spells, reworked vocations or other different system.
Let's also decrease the duration to the usual range of time for gamejams - 24~72 hours - more likely to semi-retired devs to participate.
If we keep the scope narrower it would yield better quality stuff. I'd probably give it a try.

Of course, what you said is valid. The theme could be changing a quest, making a new one, creating a new vocation that fits with the original four. Spells for the original four or anything.

It doesnt have to be to make a completely fresh server. We could focus on other stuff ( not mapping, we already have monthly competitions for that one )

The timespan i think would always wary depending on the theme. The bigger the theme the longer the span. I think that most of us have 8-5 jobs or other stuff to deal with first, so a 1-week/2-week could sometimes give more room to work.

But making a quest like desert quest with a few npcs, hidden keys you dont need more than 24-72 hours

Back