• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Open Tibia History

Fox Rother

Highly Skilled in Noobing
Reaction score
Hey there. 🙃

I often think about how crazy it is that the Open Tibia will soon be 20 years old.
Even though I have followed its development since I was a kid, I know very little about its roots.
It's as if the "founders" of the project, the "proto-community" didn't exist.

I don't know about you, but that makes me feel kind of sad...
Tibia's playerbase has been shrinking for some time now and as consequence Open Tibia's has as well.
What frightens me is that as this trend continues (and I hope we're able to revert that), all the stories, the people around it, might be lost forever. OTFans for instance is dead (regardless of what you might think, it was a very large part of the OT community). More and more we've seen abandoned accounts... :(

A wish I have, and I think that's not only me, duh, is that before it's really too late, we gather as much information as we can about the project. Fri istori plx !!1!!1 :p
It might be a sentimental opinion (how could it not be?), but I think this effort is worth it.

@Delusion @Znote @Don Daniello @Evil Hero @Mark @Delirium @Evil Puncker @Cykotitan @Evan @Damon @GhostX @Nekiro @M0ustafa @Kaspar @cbrm @Slavi Dodo @edubart @Three Magic @Flatlander @Syntax @Shadowsong
I know I've been tagging some of you and that can be a pain on the neck, but whether you want it or not, you guys are a very substantial part of this community's history... And yeah, I might not know everybody who has contributed to it, please don't be offended. (I mentioned I was a kid back to when I started into this, didn't understand things clearly then).

Also, I'm not excluding ""regular members"" from this, not at all. Some of you might have stayed unnoticed for some reason (maybe you were a kid like me, or is shy, might've gotten busy). Every piece of information is valuable, so if you got some story on how things came to be, share them with us!

I'm aware that it's weird that an old account is suddenly posting all around, I'm really sorry if I'm being inconvenient, but I do it from the bottom of my heart... Had to put it out, heh... 🙃

Thanks

I also appreciate your recent input on forums, great job.

I also appreciate your recent input on forums, great job.
Well, I appreciate yours as well! :)
I think I had too much held inside, now I'm blurping everything everywhere... Might upset some people (not you apparently heh), but what can you do? :V

Huh, that's a little treasure right there. Thank you for sharing it! :)
Edit 2: Not a little treasure, it's a pretty huge one. o.o

Edit: Keep them coming, people!
Also, if you'd like to share your stories privately (who knows?), you can send an email to [email protected].
I'll try to compile things as they come.

@SammyNSC make sure you leave us a message next time you come by. You deserve some praise!!! :p
Your work is unique. I'm obviously not well informed (maybe a bit better now hehe), but I think noone else did what you did.
(I'd love to be proven wrong, though!)
Thank you! And again, thank you too, @Kaspar! 🙃

Last edited:
@SammyNSC make sure you leave us a message next time you come by. You deserve some praise!!! :p
Your work is unique. I'm obviously not well informed (maybe a bit better now hehe), but I think noone else did what you did.

I haven’t been on, or loged into this website in many years, it’s almost fitting I saw your post. Thank you for the kind words:)

really fun read if you havent seen it already. Map has a lot of fun hidden gems. 10/10 would recommend checking it.

Hey there. 🙃

I often think about how crazy it is that the Open Tibia will soon be 20 years old.
Even though I have followed its development since I was a kid, I know very little about its roots.
It's as if the "founders" of the project, the "proto-community" didn't exist.

I don't know about you, but that makes me feel kind of sad...
Tibia's playerbase has been shrinking for some time now and as consequence Open Tibia's has as well.
What frightens me is that as this trend continues (and I hope we're able to revert that), all the stories, the people around it, might be lost forever. OTFans for instance is dead (regardless of what you might think, it was a very large part of the OT community). More and more we've seen abandoned accounts... :(

A wish I have, and I think that's not only me, duh, is that before it's really too late, we gather as much information as we can about the project. Fri istori plx !!1!!1 :p
It might be a sentimental opinion (how could it not be?), but I think this effort is worth it.

@Delusion @Znote @Don Daniello @Evil Hero @Mark @Delirium @Evil Puncker @Cykotitan @Evan @Damon @GhostX @Nekiro @M0ustafa @Kaspar @cbrm @Slavi Dodo @edubart @Three Magic @Flatlander @Syntax @Shadowsong
I know I've been tagging some of you and that can be a pain on the neck, but whether you want it or not, you guys are a very substantial part of this community's history... And yeah, I might not know everybody who has contributed to it, please don't be offended. (I mentioned I was a kid back to when I started into this, didn't understand things clearly then).

Also, I'm not excluding ""regular members"" from this, not at all. Some of you might have stayed unnoticed for some reason (maybe you were a kid like me, or is shy, might've gotten busy). Every piece of information is valuable, so if you got some story on how things came to be, share them with us!

I'm aware that it's weird that an old account is suddenly posting all around, I'm really sorry if I'm being inconvenient, but I do it from the bottom of my heart... Had to put it out, heh... 🙃

Thanks
u forgot to tag man who started everything @Fenrisus

Man I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I started playing tibia sometime around 10 years old (and I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks). So many great memories on rl tibia and a vast assortment of ots over the years.

I've been playing/making/reading about OT related stuff almost as long! (Jeez.... have I really been doing this for THAT long, and am somehow still a huge noob? Hahahah)

Anyway, on topic, I dont remember alot of specifics from back then such as names, etc.. but i surely remember what it was like. Threads like these take me straight back to the really early days. I miss the custom, hacked together maps with crazy spawns, and the troves of 1/1 war servers.

Maybe its rose tinted glasses, but I long for the days to return where very few people cared about min-maxing and efficiency... it was all about fun and exploration and friendships. It's hard to tell how many hours of my youth I "wasted" logged into some famous character name blasting people, or exploring some random clunky map.

Who knows, maybe a piece of it can return one day? :)

Had a blast reading your articles Sammy. Hope you never take it down. If you ever do, please github the articles so we have em forever. Probably the only summarized source around about Tibia and open Tibia history. Wish you still were going :(

Well, I appreciate yours as well! :)
I think I had too much held inside, now I'm blurping everything everywhere... Might upset some people (not you apparently heh), but what can you do? :V

Huh, that's a little treasure right there. Thank you for sharing it! :)
Edit 2: Not a little treasure, it's a pretty huge one. o.o

Edit: Keep them coming, people!
Also, if you'd like to share your stories privately (who knows?), you can send an email to [email protected].
I'll try to compile things as they come.

You can select each article and try to add this to web archive

If I remember correctly tibia.de forum had an open tibia section. The website has been down for a long time, but lots of the threads are archived on the internet archive if anyone is interested in looking through it.

Back