• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion otclient board for sharing modules

zbizu

Legendary OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Dear admins and mods,

I would like to animate the otclient community a bit and get more scripters into writing modules.

What do we need?
  • A board dedicated for otclient modules only and maybe another one for support.
  • (optional) moving old threads to these subboards

Why do we need it?
  • current otclient board is like a trash can - a mix of everything
  • it's a poor place to look for examples
  • there are no tutorials

What could we gain by doing it?
  • a dedicated board for modules
  • easier start for everyone who wants to begin doing otclient modules (because things would be sorted)
  • more otclient scripters (because they have more examples in a dedicated board)
  • more attention on otclient repo, thus more contributors (because there are more scripters)
  • more modules (because more people are writing them)
  • potential candybot improvements (because the interest would be higher) / new bots emerging
  • traffic from end-users - players would go to otland to download mods (mainly candybot, some would stay and write their own modules)
  • more client alternatives than just cip client, clean otclient and that one with closed sources.
  • a potential step forward in reading Tibia 12 spritesheets (the technology is here already, but it didn't made it to official otc yet)

There are many people working on otclient for personal projects already, but the board itself isn't user-friendly enough.
After all the effort it took me to figure out how to write a simple module I got discouraged from sharing anything. Why?
Because having that kind of advantage could clearly be monetized.

I don't have anything against selling the scripts, but I think that everybody should be able to make them, not just the elites that figured everything out themselves.

Look at server-side lua scripting: easy to get into, there are many tutorials, many examples, full documentation, everybody is doing it
Why? Because we have dedicated boards new scripters can browse and it evolved to what we have today. Some of them learned c++ and even contributed to TFS giving us completely new features in lua.
If you don't like the 1.3 distro, you have plenty of alternatives like br forums "otx server", togu's "the forgotten tibia" and various 0.4 edits

Now what about otc lua? One board that is a big fucking mess, hours of googling examples, no tutorials and almost no resources except for things that are buried somewhere in the mess board (and there is no information about how to install them btw).
What are your choices if you don't like clean laggy otc? Either cip client or edited otc with closed sources.

My proposition: two new boards:
  • otclient -> resources
  • otclient -> support

and tutorials would be in otclient board until there are enough of them to create otclient -> tutorials board

Though otclient isn't something as big and official as TFS, it gained importance in OT over time.
Though it isn't coded the best way available, I believe that its boards deserve to be more user-friendly than they are now.

What do you think?

Seems more relevant now than ever. As a newbie i find it extremely hard to learn otc modules compared to tfs scripting. It's very easy to find anything related to tfs mostly however i have almost completely neglected the otc side of my project because it's damn near impossible to find resources and i much prefer to learn rather than pay.

People is making tons of money with OTClient custom modules, that's why they are not usually released. I agree with OP, but i wouldnt be surprised if both forums would be emtpy :p

I like this suggestion, we recently (ish) created the Revscripts board, and it has gotten some love from the community.
It would be cool if the same happens with OTClient.

Should we create some board rules, for instance thread prefixes for releases as well? In Revscript board everything is neatly organized by TFS version, I imagine it might be useful to prefix which OTClient fork an OTC module is tested with. Etc [Edubart], [Mehah], [OTCv8].

I have recently started to dip my toes into OTClient, so I would be happy to contribute.

Last edited:
Back