• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Preaching The End of Open Tibia

The problem with custom ots is that they’ve become so complex, that they require a lot of money to justify the investment in time (or money).

Therefore they become P2W, or directly requires you to pay to play.

The problem here is that if I were to spend money I’d do it in Tibia RL which already has become a pseudo-OTserv, and I know it will certainly be around for at least 5-10 years more…

The problem with custom ots is that they’ve become so complex, that they require a lot of money to justify the investment in time (or money).

Therefore they become P2W, or directly requires you to pay to play.

The problem here is that if I were to spend money I’d do it in Tibia RL which already has become a pseudo-OTserv, and I know it will certainly be around for at least 5-10 years more…
I don't know what's the problem with pay to win, all games are like that nowdays, we are all adults playing tibia or open tibia today, and we know things doesn't run without money, honestly I found a lot of pleasure when supporting a server I like and enjoy because I know all of the hard work is behind those new game experiences made for us. I played Archlight Online and it's great a little diferent from what I expected but the sprites are a romantic letter to rpg fans I appreciate the hard work and it actually has players online hope it lasts for many years. Also the paco taco Rookgaard Tales gave me an excelent new game experience, it's tibia being tibia but diferent, I can't explain you gotta try it the problem is what the server is huge and extremely hard and no one explains anything, you feel like the first time there but I like the fact servers like that dares to be diferent without going too far away from the concept of Tibia we all know. Znote invited me today to play his ot, I will try it I think the name is acidot, looks very ineresing that vis chain on his signature. Itutorial invited me to chronicleot.ddns.net but it's already dead lol! or link broken?
Post automatically merged:

Oh and about ravendawn someone mentioned back there I appreciate the hard work people do in those new servers but it is not tibia anymore, It's a total diferent game, away form the idea we that brought us all here in the first place. Personally I like tibia as it was back then, when adding too many new features it feels diferent. I played tibia months ago and it's like a global otserver now. Sad because it's like cipsoft loosing the fight againts all those generic trash servers, they are deciding how things should be. What game gives you 100 levels and full items and set in less than 1 hour nowdays? Tibia and Open Tibia broke the mechanic of rpg and turned into other thing. Tibia is dead in cipsoft but still alive in us.

Last edited:
Already dead, 2 minutes after the start. Very nice OT, recommended for years. 🤣
I do enjoy playing it a lot so yeah I would recommend it, sure it's not that many people online but I don't really care that much about other people, it's great playing by yourself as well.

Yeah looks like completely dead game to me. Definitely close to an end. They even put a countdown on their website (screenshots from nov/dec 2021).
2021-11-22_180231257_Zbizu_Hotkey.png 1641337402985.png 1641337446629.png

Basically every server I've played lately it's the same average crap with lab mouse brain players as base. The servers with original content that I've been playing are really fun, but empty. The player base of Open Tibia is a bunch of people who doesn't even care about game anymore.
I wonder how Open Tibia will be in 5 years? It's sad to see the effort of the TFS team and the awesome new features being wasted in the same generic content of Open Tibia Servers, and those who dare to be different are doomed to die.

As a woman with kids myself I found really hard to have time to play, but when I do I have to see the same real Tibia shit in every populated server, which it pains me because I feel I'm wasting my time. Sadly any custom project nowdays is near dead because the herd of sheeps just won't go there as I do.

Personally I prefer spending time in discovering something new than the same Open Tibia crap.

My opinion: If we want Open Tibia to Survive we have to encourage new standar in OTServers, the same global copy paste is just getting old.

The true and facts: Life of Open Tibia is about to die because our generation and the current one playing it is about to get jobs and life just like we did. And we are doing nothing to prevent this.
Just another "ots is dead cause I don't like what others do and I'm special" useless post.

Media it's another real Tibia copy paste to me, even the map, boring. However they give some nice retro feelings, they just sell nostalgia, that's all.
Medivia has been one of the greatest pioneers of real tibia map servers, so to call them "copy paste" is already pretty off since they had to fix everything themselves.
Either way they switched to their own custom map about a year or two ago, the map is still "based on" real map, but it's hard to spot the resemblance because it seems to have been all completely redone, they have a very advanced sound system with ambient sound tracks and sound effects with the sound levels based on distance from the object making the sound, and with full stereo functionality (sound will be more in left or right ear depending on position of object).
It also has tons of custom content.
I don't really like to chill for Iryont as he seems to have become quite the negative force or opponent of open source after his own success, but you definitely can't say Medivia is a copy-paste server just because you don't like it or it's not custom enough for you, they've spent more than the last decade on pioneering their server.
And as someone who's spent a while working on fixing all the 7.x OTClient bugs myself, and have tested out some a few of the top servers for a reference to how far other clients have come, Medivia is furthest ahead only second to myself when it comes to fixing OTClient bugs, and in terms of features are the furthest ahead of everyone else by miles.

Anyway, if I may ask, what is your big issue with real map servers?
Why does playing them make you feel like you're wasting your time and custom servers doesn't?

Open Tibia is as great as it ever was. In the past there a lot more custom servers because that was all that was available at the time and it was new. The thing is, we've done it, and yes they were copy and pasted time and time again. We've played 9999x, we've played city war, we've played capture the flag, we've played Brabexia, Survival, Yurots, Evolutions. We've played those and loved those but they are simple and lack end game. The longer the OT community has gone forward the more we have developed truly custom projects that breathed life into what may as well be a different game entirely or we found a real map server that has neat features that Cipsoft did not employ which made it more enjoyable that real tibia. The past had many different iterations of servers because OT's back then just were not well put together and did not have capability for long term playing. The simple fact is, there are great OT project servers out there, YOU just don't enjoy them.

That is my 2 cents anyway, Cheers!

Why does playing them make you feel like you're wasting your time and custom servers doesn't?

I'm not the person you asked, but as real tibia veteran (7.6-9.x + many hours on 12.x) I just find it worthless to play rl map OT server unless it's heavily customized like the example (Medivia) you provided. Reasons why:
  • my ot account will last only until end of "edition" while rl tibia acc will last years if logged in once every few months
  • real map servers are just a cheap copy. No thrill (at least I don't feel it), running into missing features that are expected to work, incomplete npc dialogues, lower quality scripts noticeable when doing quests.

Now when you enter a custom server with relatively familiar map and usually similar tp layout, it's always a new experience. Different owner, different quests, different events. Even if npc dialogues are completely empty, they provide a completely new experience. You're pretty much playing a new game with each server like that. You run over new places. There is a thrill of exploration, of doing new quests, of getting killed by pkers in random places (unlike rl tibia where they camp in meta spots like kazo passage). Which is something that can't be said about 10000th low effort rl map server built from otservbr-global datapack. To be clear: I don't insult the datapack because they're doing a great job, but if 6 servers are identical, then what is the point of playing the other 5?

Why too-custom servers are less popular? First because no bot-waypoints exist for them, second because it's not the karmia/evo/yur base and they struggle with figuring out where base npcs or hunting spots are.

Last edited:
You're forgetting one thing, different tastes.
Just think of this, no matter the year of any game. It's "dying" cus some players grows tired of it. Some remains but complains. Hell, even before I was born people complained that the new open game was dead LOL. It's the same with anything, a CoD game gets out. Oh it's dead, still they make Millions of dollars of every game and hell, year in year out they're still alive.
I won't lie, ots has seen better days. But it's not close to being dead, sure. Lots of servers are dead but that's cus they don't give a damn. Just cash that's all.
RL Tibia style has always been the most requested map, change my mind.

Here, try my server. https://fuckingadseverywhere.com/
I swear, you won't change your mind.

No but, really. Try something or create your own in your taste, there's always new things to bring into the table. Else do what everyone else does, complain. And still play

Last edited:
I'm preaching for that too die! if you looking for a global play real tibia.

put them all together put some C4 do 100 step back and push it.

I'm not the person you asked, but as real tibia veteran (7.6-9.x + many hours on 12.x) I just find it worthless to play rl map OT server unless it's heavily customized like the example (Medivia) you provided. Reasons why:
  • my ot account will last only until end of "edition" while rl tibia acc will last years if logged in once every few months
  • real map servers are just a cheap copy. No thrill (at least I don't feel it), running into missing features that are expected to work, incomplete npc dialogues, lower quality scripts noticeable when doing quests.

Now when you enter a custom server with relatively familiar map and usually similar tp layout, it's always a new experience. Different owner, different quests, different events. Even if npc dialogues are completely empty, they provide a completely new experience. You're pretty much playing a new game with each server like that. You run over new places. There is a thrill of exploration, of doing new quests, of getting killed by pkers in random places (unlike rl tibia where they camp in meta spots like kazo passage). Which is something that can't be said about 10000th low effort rl map server built from otservbr-global datapack. To be clear: I don't insult the datapack because they're doing a great job, but if 6 servers are identical, then what is the point of playing the other 5?

Why too-custom servers are less popular? First because no bot-waypoints exist for them, second because it's not the karmia/evo/yur base and they struggle with figuring out where base npcs or hunting spots are.
One of the things I've never liked about custom servers is that it's rarely that much different.
They usually use a custom map, but the monsters and server (monster behavior) is all copy-paste, you have to re-learn where every npc in every new town is (guess it's not that hard when there's usually just 1 town, but I find it pretty annoying when you're level 8 and can't find literally anything and there's no signs and you could meet rats or you could meet orc berserkers depending on your movement/luck), you're not sure what the npcs sells (they might not say) so you have to sit there and guess, there's rarely any interesting custom features to my taste (I mean if we're going to compare trash with trash), etc.
To me a lot of custom servers are like peacocks, they taste the same as everything else, but they have large colorful feathers to look more attractive.

Not to say I've never enjoyed playing a custom server, I've played a good variety of both, and there's still a part of me that miss Yurots servers maybe due to nostalgia to the map, I think it was kinda cute.

Ok, you're right. I forgot to look at tibia as an esport game. Higher exp/loot rates sure do make sense for players looking for pvp and using same map makes it close to league of legends experience.
I kinda like League if it wasn't for the community (being forced into a team with the average OTLand member in terms of maturity, what could possibly go wrong?), and since I get easily bored of servers, high exp real map servers are kinda my thing, it's kinda fun while it lasts and even if the server only lasts a month or less I'm kinda fine with it since I usually only play for a few days or a couple of weeks tops.
That's always been my pattern of playing OT servers anyways. Medivia is one of the rare exceptions where the server has existed for so long that I can always come back to it to play for maybe a day or two each year or every second year depending on how I'm feeling without getting bored.

when you're level 8 and can't find literally anything and there's no signs and you could meet rats or you could meet orc berserkers depending on your movement/luck), you're not sure what the npcs sells (they might not say) so you have to sit there and guess
To me this is what Tibia is. I started in 7.x and there wasn't very much handholding from the game world, indeed I came upon orc berserkers by accident, fire devils too and even a dragon which I went on to slay after weeks of preparation. All of which killed me upon first contact and I could never retrieve my loot but this didn't demotivate me, instead i would go on to spend the rest of my life so far playing the same game.

I dont think these are issues and instead are the core of what Tibia is and what made it so unique. I think your first encounter with anything should be a surprise. Exploring should be exciting but you should also be weary and careful.

Obviously bad design on a lot of OTs makes this a very harmful experience rather than fun which I believe is the actual issue.

Started in 7.4.

For a long time, OTs unironically had a better community. Almost every real server had a massive cluster of power abusers, of whom had months if not years more play time, and often came in enormous hordes. OTs were typically much closer knit too - if you had 200 online, it's quite probable that that's 200 of a pool of maybe 800 - and that was a BIG OT. Realistically, you were more likely to have 20-80 people on. For those that remember it, I still remember being a GM on Goobers OT, and enjoyed playing my EK.

Nowadays, OTs have all of the issues you used to try and escape in Tibia. They're giant mega servers with weird corrupt cartels of people. The real map was always coveted, because nothing quite like it existed in OTs, which often had small concentrated spawns of enemies. But now, it's absolutely everywhere, and boy oh boy, that map is far from perfect; it has all of its old hallmarks of a rough project, slowly being shaped and designed by people learning as they made.

I alluded to my time on Goobers OT previously, but I also remember my time as a GM on Doonrak's real Tibia server, which could often have player counts over 1000 at any given time, and I remember witnessing the very things I've described here - cartels of players misbehaving. I also remember banning half a guild for using magebomb bots, getting Doonrak grizzle at me asking for my 'proof', him sending me a picture from the people I had banned on alt accounts, and at the top of the screen was a magebomb bot with the target of the player I watched them all kill in perfect sync. When I pointed it out, I got told to just ignore it next time, and decided to quit as a GM there and then; it was telling where the priorities were.

If I had to sum up the things that made OTs appealing:
  • Often afforded players a chance to succeed.
  • Often allowed players to access levels, content, and spells they were gated out of by power abuse on real Tibia.
  • Ingenuity (custom items, maps, quests, monsters - it was fun finding new things spread around).
  • Closer knit community, with a small pool of identifiable regulars.

I don't think Open Tibia has died, but it's vastly different from how it once was.

To me this is what Tibia is. I started in 7.x and there wasn't very much handholding from the game world, indeed I came upon orc berserkers by accident, fire devils too and even a dragon which I went on to slay after weeks of preparation. All of which killed me upon first contact and I could never retrieve my loot but this didn't demotivate me, instead i would go on to spend the rest of my life so far playing the same game.

I dont think these are issues and instead are the core of what Tibia is and what made it so unique. I think your first encounter with anything should be a surprise. Exploring should be exciting but you should also be weary and careful.

Obviously bad design on a lot of OTs makes this a very harmful experience rather than fun which I believe is the actual issue.
Real tibia (map) design is actually good though, that's kinda my point.

Yeah, when you're not familiar with the map you might explore and die, everybody did that and probably most people still playing this game didn't quit because they died once, I'm just saying you won't find Giant Spiders or Fire Devils 10-15 seconds away from or inside town, with a bad custom server there's no telling what you're gonna find where, there's no rhyme or rhythm to it, and the server likely will have MAJOR imbalance issues, custom servers can be complete trash where nothing works like it should and everything is foreign and there's no rhyme or reason to anything, with a real map server, no matter how trashy and buggy it could be, at least you know where to go to find a certain npc, spawn or quest, or what spell to buy and how to cast it.

Either way, just my point of view.

Back