• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Question about (self) hosting

Ars

Reaction score
Hello.

I've recently decided to work on an OT with a real mate.
Both of us are new in this and we decided to follow the step by step tutorial posted tibiahub's homepage (for no particular reason).
OK, that didn't work too well. We got stuck at step 2: port forwarding. I read many guides, gave my internet provider a call, and nothing worked.

Anyway! that's not the topic; when we finish it, we will host it in a dedicated server, so there's no real need for port forwarding.
However, I need to be able to acces it from my own computer to test stuff, and this is the question about.
Since hosting a server for yourself sounds pretty dull at first, I guess nobody made a guide for it! And without that, I'm pretty much lost.

Can someone explain me what should I do?

Thanks you very much,
Ars

It depends if it's linux or windows, if you use linux, just setup SSH, if windows, just use some FTP client. Also let me know if you need tips with security. (got over 10 years of experience.)

Thanks for answering.
Since it's for private use, security shouldn't be a problem :).
Also, do I need SSH or FTP if I just want to connect from my own computer?

Ars

you need for SSH or FTP to control the Server
but if you Want to test it you just need to open some port on the pc and on the router so you can connect to the server

Controlling: power of manage your server, (that means everything), testing it: enter in-game(tibia client), and test it by yourself.
also, if you want to open the server only for you in your computer, just at config.lua, change the ip/hostname to: 127.0.0.1, or localhost, no matter wich you choose, they are the same.

Also, if you are planning to buy a VPS, you will need to get remote control(if you got windows), or any FTP server like FileZilla, or SmartFTP and PuTTy(in case that you are using linux),

Thanks Sublime, it was as simple as that :)

Thanks about the VPS info, I'll keep it in mind. I still have a long road to go before the server is ready to be hosted though :).

Back