• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Questions about OTC and TFS datapacks

Chefen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently pulled back into the OT scene and I'm really enjoying the dev side eventho I have 0 code experience it's still very satisfying when something works and extremely painful when something doesn't work. Been playing on various 8.0 OTs recently and I have a question regarding those. Many seem to use OTclient and have newer stuff in thier server eventho it's a 8.0 protocol. So stuff like ingame market, store, boss chests ect. Is that something thats compiled in the source of the server or is it soething they added to the OTclient or a combo of both? My first thought was that they used a 10.x+ server but deleted parts of the map to fit the 8.0 era. Maybe someone else can explain how they do it so I don't have to spend sleepness nights speculating

Second question is if I use a datapack for a TFS 1.3 should I be able to use the same data pack for a TFS 1.4 or 1.5? I currently use a datapack that works really good for Nekiros 1.3 8.6 downgrade but for some reason adding a global event it crashes the server (no clue why) and I'm way too inexperienced to search what could cause it so my hope is to get a clean Nekiro 1.5 and transfer over the stuff i have but I wanna make sure I don't have to rewrite every single script

Thank you guys,
Chefen

I've found that usually when people say protocol this-and-that in relation to their server, they don't actually mean what the client/server protocol is capable of, but rather they speak of the version of the game and what it offered at that time.

In this case I'm pretty sure that "Protocol 8.0" server is actually a 10.x+ client and server combination, with changes to sprites, UI, map and NPC/mob behaviors to "look and feel 8.0". Everything that didn't exist in Tibia in June 2007 has just been disabled or hidden.

And since they can disable things, they can also re-enable things. Which is why a version of Tibia that didn't have a shop or a marketboard, now has it. They didn't "add" it... they just chose to not disable it.

There are some features that can be done totally in server side (for instance, the boss reward chest), and features that needs protocol changes (store, prey, market, etc).
I think they use the most recent engine available (tfs, otservbr, otx, etc) and they disable the features they don't want and edit spellls/monsters/runes/potions to look like old versions.

I look at it something like this:
  • "Protocol version" describes a set of expected features that the server communicates to the client in a specific way (and vise-versa)
  • A real tibia client more-or-less requires the server to communicate with it in the expected way
  • OTClient supports many protocol versions out of the box (including custom versions) - the 'expected features and communication methods' get toggled on/off automatically when you specify the expected/desired protocol version, however there is nothing stopping you from toggling specific features on/off however you like (for example, protocol 7.72 but also accept in-game store as if it were client 10)
  • With OTClient you can also completely rebuild systems and send the data from the server in any way you please using "extendedopcodes"
  • Dat/Spr files relate to protocol versions too but more loosely, without going too deep you can more or less add whatever sprites you want to whatever version you want with OTClient

Thanks for the replies guys, got a more understanding on how otclient and server side functions work and how these "8.0" servers operate.

Kinda cool aswell that you now can customize a server and playstyle for players that you really couldnt do 10 years ago when I last did OT stuff haha

Back