• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Reinstalling Computer

Silverstone

aka Silent Reaper
Solutions
Reaction score
Howdy

Well, I'm going to reinstall my computer very soon. I installed Servicepack 3, which kinda messed up a few things, because it replaced some folders and files in folders. I'm probably infected with a virus as well.

Anyway, I'm here to ask whether I should reinstall my current WindowsXP-Professional version or get a new Windows Vista version, I'm really not sure. I'm not sure if Vista could cause trouble, if I run another system on my machine. Because I'll probably have Ubuntu on it as well.

Computer:

Intel Core2Duo 2.66GHZ
3GB DDR2-Ram - Kingston
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS - 640MB
2x 250GB HDD

That's probably the most important part you need to know.

To that I'd like to know, if you could suggest me any specific programm you use. Just programms, I don't mind what kind of they have to be good and that's all.

I already have:

Sony Vegas 8.0 (Most important to me)
Photoshop CS3
Fraps
Particle Illusion

Any tips and suggestions are welcomed.

That was a pretty helpful comment.

No, not at all. You just saying Vista ain't good, dude I've heard several diffrent opinions, but I didn't want to hear whether it's shit or good, I wanted to hear feedback of guys who are using it and can actually tell what they like and dislike. Also Vista has a lot of new offers with it, that makes it attractive. As example the live tv tool.

I wanted to hear such things and suggestion, please post elsewhere to gain postcoun, but not in my thread.

Thanks.

Get Windows Xp, Home Edition or Professional. Im runing Home Edition (Service Pack 2) + Ubuntu 8,04.

A tip.. If you will install both Windows and Ubuntu, first install Windows and then Ubuntu. If you install Ubuntu and then Windows, you will lose the grub (The window is displayed to choose Operating system when you turn on your computer).

If you prefer a really fast computer you should stick with xp.
If you want a good looking computer you choose vista.

Also, vista is better for searching files, you can add things to the side bar (not really useful but sometimes its nice). I guess your computer has enought ram, you wont be able to use more of the ram unless you buy a 64-bit vista (I bought prebuilt computer with 4gb ram and i use about 3100 mb or something).

Edit: Your graphic card can handle the new graphics in vista, I have ATI HD3650 which is pretty equal to your card can handle it, and 512 meg is enought... Btw if your buying vista you should get a new monitor, a decent flatscreen makes you enjoy vista so much more since its alot about visualization...

Last edited:
Get Windows Xp, Home Edition or Professional. Im runing Home Edition (Service Pack 2) + Ubuntu 8,04.

A tip.. If you will install both Windows and Ubuntu, first install Windows and then Ubuntu. If you install Ubuntu and then Windows, you will lose the grub (The window is displayed to choose Operating system when you turn on your computer).

I got professional :) - Thanks for the tip.

Also, vista is better for searching files, you can add things to the side bar (not really useful but sometimes its nice). I guess your computer has enought ram, you wont be able to use more of the ram unless you buy a 64-bit vista (I bought prebuilt computer with 4gb ram and i use about 3100 mb or something).

Edit: Your graphic card can handle the new graphics in vista, I have ATI HD3650 which is pretty equal to your card can handle it, and 512 meg is enought... Btw if your buying vista you should get a new monitor, a decent flatscreen makes you enjoy vista so much more since its alot about visualization...

I know that my graphiccard can handle vista, it was actually one of the earlier graphiccards meant for vista :). Actually I can make look XP good as well, so far I think I rather stick with XP.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions

I can say from expirience (I use a laptop with Vista Business) that between 800 and 1000MB of ram will always be occupied by the OS itself, so if you're ready to wave byebye to 1gig of ram for the OS, you're welcome to pick vista.

Personally the only downsides I've noticed using vista is the incompatibility with older games and hardware like Diablo 2 for example, or a webcam which isnt "vista certified", but if you're fine without that, it wont really be a problem.

Also, the boot time is slightly longer than XP, but not long enough to bother you really.

My overall opinion is that vista's good sides over weighs its downsides, its got UAC (User Account Control) which prevents programs and such to do stuff without your authorization (registrey edits and such), sure it can be annoying with the boxes, but it also more or less eliminates most viral threats, since programs cannot do anything without your distinct approval.
Also the way it presents things (UI functionallity, thumbnails and such) as well as how it handles plugged in hardware (mouses, keyboards, flashdrives, etc) is simple and functional.
Not to mention vista features the latest DirectX, so if you plan on gaming the latest of games, vista is your best bet in that area.

So my suggestion is, if you are computer smart enough to know how to avoid viruses and shit, want every single drop of power your machine can handle, and want to be able to use older hardware and games, go with XP.
If you want what the future offers, and in process are ready to sacrifice some ram, cpu and gpu power, and can live without older games and hardware, go with Vista.
(However, i STRONGLY advice you to go with vista ultimate if you do pick vista)

Sadly i cant assist you with the dual-boot questions, since i have no experience in that area, sorry.

compiz & google sidebar & "locate blah.ext"

vista better? no.

Like i said vista is not best ATM.. but it will probably be the best os within a couple of months.

There are many programs that dont work very vell with vista.

The most stable/used OS is today WinXP,Ubuntu,MacOSX.

After 1 year of experience through vista, I have come to realize.

Vista is a Microsoft Failure. ( I think so, but some like it, so don't flame :p )

XP is still a great OS. Use that, and perhaps ubuntu as jester says.

I got my computer free through the school, the computer stats is, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 2.0 GHz processor, 256mb graphic card.

It cant even handle tibia correctly. It runs 30 fps at the best, and aproxy 3 times each minute it goes down to 10 fps for a couple seconds, then raise up back.

I got a worse computer, 1GB RAM DDR2, 1.8 ghz processor, 512mb graphic card, windows XP. And when I run tibia my FPS is around 100 - 120. My record is 160~ FPS in-game.

Now I have upgraded my XP computer so it has more RAM, and I use it as alternative hosting device. And im gonig to sell my vista computer for like 120 euro, and buy a new comp for 560 euro. (all my computers are laptops).

Back