• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

C++ Request for training materials related to the TFS engine

Michcol94

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Today, my dear community, I am asking for educational materials about the C++ language, I don't mean the basics, I know them well, I want to learn how to code in C++ for the TFS 1.x engine, especially the master version and version 1.5 by nekiro downgrade 8.6 but I see that the code in them is already different, which often causes problems for me. My level of knowledge is at the level of graduating from high school with an IT technician profile. I have completed my programming studies on topics such as classes, functions, methods, I know loops, arrays, the basics, but the TFS engine and the code written in it are different from the basic pure C++ from courses or school. I would like to ask you to write at least something to learn to develop your C++ programming skills, to better understand the tfs engine, its libraries used to write it, how the engine works, how the programming style is built, syntax and so on. I really want to know everything. I don't want to waste time and learn something that won't be useful to me. I want to develop my skills in programming for theforgotten server and anything that helps me will be welcome in this topic. Thank you very much in advance for every link, content and answer.
I also wrote a topic asking for materials related to otclient:
Request for educational resources to Otclient specifically for the mehah version

Since there is no real documentation of tibia related clients and engines your only way of learning is to look what others have made, possibly via leaks or non encrypted clients.

I don't understand how these developers manage this without any documentation, What C++ libraries are worth learning at least?

Reading the code is the only way. No thing like learning ot development is served on a silver plate. You gotta read the code that has been shared otland->resources/support and learn from there both c++ and lua. Should be easy if you already got the basics. I had to learn lua through otland, even loop inpairs (so for each) heh. Good memories.

@Michcol94

We actually have decent (not so up to date anymore, mb) lua api documentation.

As far as c++ documentation... the c++ isn't a library or meant to be used as a library, the only way one is intended to interface with the engine is through lua, so why in the world would someone write api documentation for c++ that isn't meant to be interfaced with???? You also have to remember, that Otserver started this all off, and TFS is just another distro of Otserv, TFS WAS NOT WRITTEN FROM GROUND UP! They took over someone elses work, and so on and so forth.... So you will never have documentation for TFS, the best you got is the examples left in comments for a good lot of methods/functions in the source code... If you need more than that, I guess you aren't at the level you claim to be... Just use ai and have it generate the documentation for you

Here is a quick screenshot I took, it shows you how well the code is already documented inside the actual code... So I am not sure what the issue is here...

1703221354996.png

Last edited:
That you scroll down a little and there are no more comments, or just open any other file, some have them, most don't.
My original statement about TFS not intended to be a library stands.

Why would someone write documentation for an interface that isn't meant to be an interface? The users are meant to interface with TFS through lua. The fact that there are any comments in the code is still someone else going above and beyond.

You said scroll down a little more and there are no other comments? Ok. lets see. My picture shows lines ~120-140

I jumped over 100 lines and this is what I find.

1704388661683.png

You say almost every other file is missing comments? I just grabbed the lucky one file that was documented decently? Observe.1704388946130.png
In fact there are over 300 instances of just comments that use /**/ and nearly 3 thousand comments using // as you can see from the search results provided here:1704389062378.png
For a project, that is not meant for the user to interface with the c++, the writers have gone beyond the call of duty to provide insight into what is going on it the code. Also for the record, I took screenshots of those specific files because it seems the ones which would have the most difficult or specialized code to try to learn from, are the ones with the most work put in on documenting it through comments... So I ask now, how much more do you want done for you? At some point, if you are wanting to play with the c++ code, you have to just do it, and stop crying about others not giving you enough help.

Back