• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Rethinking the default sorting in otservlist

Do you think otservlist should sort by RANK instead?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

divegia

Reaction score
The default sorting used in otservlist (sort by most online players), is in my opinion a very bad (or ineffective) way of sorting. Per default, the only people who benefit from this are the ones with lots of "players online".

As we know, it has been a huge issue for otservlist to be able to count unique players online due to several variables. We also know that they are working on a feature to start sort by Unique IPS and not players online. This way of sorting has been questioned by some, with all right. It is good, but unfortunately it will damage many servers because that counting unique IPs doesn't mean counting real unique players. It is true that only a few servers will be affected negatively and unfairly, but in my opinion that are a few too many.

Sort by rank instead
I think the problem is that we are stuck in the wrong way of thinking. We shouldn't sort servers according to most online players. We should sort servers according to the rank of the server. How the algorithm for rank is measured is another question though.

Boost servers with less players online
To help servers with few players online (or new started servers): otservlist should push them up to the first page. I am not saying all servers should be chosen, but some function to randomly chose 1 - 5 servers a day, making them appear in the first page somewhere. I also think this way of working WILL make otservlist to earn more money on ads. Why is that? My reason for believing this is that, if more servers gets the opportunity to get to the spot light, they might start earning more money, and as they earn more money they do will want to earn more, and that is when they start buying your ad services.

All parts win.

Last edited:
Just put "unique ips: " and sort by that >.> the highest ranked servers will have the most unique IP's in my opinion..

Honestly.. a huge cause of this problem is that fact people can pay money to make their servers more seen..

This causes the servers with little players online who receive no donations to get fkd.. why ? since the only people crazy enough to pay xinn's prices use the donation money they have accrued.

Why would any new poor developer risk $30 they don't have to try and turn players they may or may not get?

When already they have to pay for a dedicated to not be DDos'd by other big developers that can pay for botnets with donation cash.

The only OTS I ever see in the promotion slots are the same servers who constantly can afford it...

Another idea... Allow the community to up-vote servers? Allow OTLand/players to vote on good servers to be spotlighted for free...?

OR

Allow community to rank servers 1-10..

I would like to chose from otservers that are spotlighted due to being a good server chosen by the community..

Not the fact someone paid 30$...

Last edited:
I think otservlist need a new way to rank the servers on the list ... The rank based on number of players just doesn't work anymore ... Nowadays, otservlist is not the "main" source of players from most of the server and why? They just know that the servers with a lot players not mean these servers is fun or exactly what they want... And this is putting the players away from otservlist... Most of the my friends that still play otservers just doesn't use otservlist when they want find a new otserv.

For this reason, today you can be more successfully bringing players to your server by using new and modern ways to advertise your server like to promote a post on facebook's page; Incentivate players create youtube channel or create your own channel ... Some server get huge success from getting partnership with famous tibia-related streamers in twitch to advertise your project. It's all a hard-work? Yes... But works! More than add your server to otservlist and just wait players come.

The main problem on otservlist is that from player perspective the page have 0 interaction within... Players need a way to interact with the page about the server they are playing... They want tell what they are feeling about this server, and this should be used to build a new rank.

Furthermore, they want know about the server before play. And this must be in a modern media-content... Not a 90's simple text on description or a generic and highly manipulative "players on" number.

Unfortunately... I have no hope that someday the things will be changed in this way... I think the administrator of otservlist just is in your very safe zone and probably happy with the numbers that otservlist still bring.

I'm not native english... Sorry if this is not very well.. Tryed my best.

Last edited:
RANK FOR OTSERVLIST USERS voting AND ONLY THOSE THAT HAVE ACCOUNT FOR LONGER THAN A YEAR.! (alternatively vote through ots website and register unique ip + blacklist most common proxies and vpns

Back