• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Server crashes for a global IP. (TFS 0.4)

Heyron

Solutions
Reaction score
My server keeps crashing when I try to use global IP in config.lua.

Inside the distro, it loads everything normally without errors, but when it gets to the end, the server crashes.

Some versions of 0.4 and other old distros have that problem.
They cannot bind to IP that is not 'interface' in system.
Is there option to bindOnlyGlobalAddress in config.lua? Maybe it will work, if you set it to false.

When you host at home, your PC IP is in local network like 192.168.1.2, but you try to run server on public internet IP like 89.12.34.56, but this IP is not assigned to your PC in Windows. It should work, as you 'forward ports' on router to your PC, but for some reason OTS code checks, if IP given in config.lua is assigned to any network interface and if not: crash.

I had same problem on Oracle Cloud server. It also does not have public internet IP bind to 'interface' in operating system.

You got to run that engine on VPS, which has public IP or update otserv.cpp with code from TFS 0.4 that works on local PC (binds to 0.0.0.0 on Windows).

Some versions of 0.4 and other old distros have that problem.
They cannot bind to IP that is not 'interface' in system.
Is there option to bindOnlyGlobalAddress in config.lua? Maybe it will work, if you set it to false.

When you host at home, your PC IP is in local network like 192.168.1.2, but you try to run server on public internet IP like 89.12.34.56, but this IP is not assigned to your PC in Windows. It should work, as you 'forward ports' on router to your PC, but for some reason OTS code checks, if IP given in config.lua is assigned to any network interface and if not: crash.

I had same problem on Oracle Cloud server. It also does not have public internet IP bind to 'interface' in operating system.

You got to run that engine on VPS, which has public IP or update otserv.cpp with code from TFS 0.4 that works on local PC (binds to 0.0.0.0 on Windows).

In my config.lua there is no such parameter:
Lua:
bindOnlyGlobalAddress

It's complicated, I don't know what else to do.

Ports 7171 and 7172 were added to Windows Firewall and also in modem settings, both TCP and UDP, but to no avail.

Back