• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Server side scripting language poll

Which language would you like to use for server side scripting (other than Lua)

• Python

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • JavaScript

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
I’ve tried to do some basic stuff with python before and it was kinda fun, it’s easy to learn and noob friendly

why only the 2? C#/asp.net turning into the cooperate industry standard pretty much. Ruby popular as well.

I want to know people opinion about those 2 languages because they are well-suited for this purpose, others are too hard to implement or tradeoff between performance and popularity is too big

C#/asp.net turning into the cooperate industry standard pretty much. Ruby popular as well.
C# would be nice option but then testing and implementing changes to the server without restarting wouldn't be as easy as they are with Lua right now.

I want to know people opinion about those 2 languages because they are well-suited for this purpose, others are too hard to implement or tradeoff between performance and popularity is too big
Python performance isn't that great, I wouldn't recommend it to be used in this case. And its one of the worst languages, but that's just my opinion.

Stay with Lua, it's meant to be used this way. It's faster than Python, JS, or whatever you can think of as a scripting language.

why only the 2? C#/asp.net turning into the cooperate industry standard pretty much. Ruby popular as well.

We're talking about server side scripting here. That being said, it is implied that your server core is already written and you can write extensions in a specific language.

So, are we talking about Open Tibia or in general?

Related to Open Tibia but not Open Tibia in 100%

We're talking about server side scripting here. That being said, it is implied that your server core is already written and you can write extensions in a specific language.

So, are we talking about Open Tibia or in general?
C# is commonly used as a modding "tool", could be used in TFS without problems. I'm not sure about performance and if its faster than Lua but from developing (code syntax, types, classes etc.) point of view, definitely better.

C# is commonly used as a modding "tool", could be used in TFS without problems. I'm not sure about performance and if its faster than Lua but from developing (code syntax, types, classes etc.) point of view, definitely better.

What do you mean C# is commonly used as a modding tool? In order to write scripts for TFS in C#, you'll need to host the CLR inside TFS which would be generally a bad idea since you'll add another layer of overhead for no reason. The interpreter of LUA is written in C, is minimal and simple, which makes it ideal for such cases.

C# is a compiled language, not an interpreted one. Your best bet is using a language that is built for that purpose and IS interpreted, such as Ruby, Python, LUA, etc.

What do you mean C# is commonly used as a modding tool? In order to write scripts for TFS in C#, you'll need to host the CLR inside TFS which would be generally a bad idea since you'll add another layer of overhead for no reason. The interpreter of LUA is written in C, is minimal and simple, which makes it ideal for such cases.
That's why I said before, Lua is the best, I just wanted to let you know that C# is used in modding communities. Eg. FiveM, allows creating extensions and mods to GTA V servers, C# is one of the languages that can be used.

That's why I said before, Lua is the best, I just wanted to let you know that C# is used in modding communities. Eg. FiveM, allows creating extensions and mods to GTA V servers, C# is one of the languages that can be used.

It is one, it's not the best. There are way better alternatives.

Back