• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Skills and skilling, lazy way to boost players online

oen432

Legendary OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
Oen44
I don't know if there is at least one OTS where access to trainers are not available since level 1(8). That being said, what's the purpose of skills and skilling if you can get high skill level without any effort? Is it really to get free (and not against rules of otservlist) boost to players online count? You could literally set starting skills to approximately what you gain by AFK skilling for 2-3 days and it wouldn't change ANYTHING (gameplay wise).

Discuss.
Michael Jackson Reaction GIF

I don't think trainers of any kind are available on Tibiantis are they?
There are no designated trainers on Dura, but it is relatively easy to find yourself an appropriate self-healing troll/dwarf to train on - this makes training significantly easier but doesn't remove the danger or directly prop up the online count.

For these old school servers, having training requiring significant "down-time" is part of forging the social aspect of the game. For Tibiantis, paladins and knights probably require a mage friend to summon and train with - the mage is probably making runes to feed the economy too.
For Dura, knights and paladins can also make useful runes themselves, and in doing so they feed the economy too. In both games, the time allows for social interaction which for many is a very big part of the game for them.

Training (and I include rune sitting as part of this) isn't part of what you might describe as "fun gameplay" in relation to other MMO's - It isn't fighting, questing, raiding, fast, exciting, blah, blah - but it is part of the element that made Tibia so engaging to start with.

None of this applies to servers that have vast training monk areas where you can just sit and safely afk or even exit log. Generally I agree with what you're saying for those servers.

I don't know if there is at least one OTS where access to trainers are not available since level 1(8). That being said, what's the purpose of skills and skilling if you can get high skill level without any effort? Is it really to get free (and not against rules of otservlist) boost to players online count? You could literally set starting skills to approximately what you gain by AFK skilling for 2-3 days and it wouldn't change ANYTHING (gameplay wise).

Discuss.
Michael Jackson Reaction GIF
I plan to tackle this problem with my next ot, current thoughts are hunting for x mins = y mins of traditional 'training'. Skills would still exist and could be trained traditionally (socially) but hunting would offer at least several times the gains. Perhaps an item that needs 'charging' based on kills and/or exp gain and you use/trade it for skill points, idk very rough draft so far.

Completely agree with your point though. I think it's definitely due to boosting player numbers but also partly to do with laziness, why rework training or offer another way to train when you can have training rooms which are pretty much free to make AND give you the advantages of spoofing without the risk? I especially agree with setting the starting skills not having an affect gameplay wise however it does rob the player of those gains, personally i wouldn't mind and it would probably affect just as many people positively as negatively, maybe it would balance out who knows.

You've made me consider this on my current project now, I have already removed more than half of the trainers, I should probably do something else too, maybe a monetary requirement as a gold sink for the economy.

Having trainers on your OTS is literally communism, it's intended to make everyone equal by providing free and safe skilling. Some shitty servers like Realera go as far as making it so that your character will attack the training monk automatically, even if you x-log on the trainers, so all you have to do is login after the server save and attack the monk and then x-log and you're training until the next SS, absolutely retarded and only intended to boost the player count.

There could be training grounds for knights and paladins where there is dummies that attack all adjacent squares for zero physical damage to increase shielding skill.
While inside training grounds all skills are increasing at a faster rate than normal.
Beware of PKs while inside the training grounds, you are not protected from pvp!

For sorcerers and druids the term "mana-sitting" should become a reality.
After 5 minutes of NOT MOVING your character from one square to another either
1. Your mana regen increases ( more runes + magic level ).
2. You gain more mana spent per mana spent ( gives magic level ).
After 15 minutes of standing still you have to move and break the mana sitting, otherwise you would be AFK-kicked. So each 15 minutes of standing still you have 10 minutes of active "mana-sitting"status

I remember in 2009, from rl tibia i used to loot stones and things for distance fighting and training wasn't that easy i was even buying stones and make like 2-3 backpacks to train, tibia servers changed the way we used to look to tibia and everything we were trying for hardly suddenly is easy through servers

@topic lets not forget about really weird training places where you can't see other players nor even know how many of them there are and also the "stamina" reward for skilling, this is just plain dumb (also lets not forget about the exercise weapons that makes players online forever as long as there is enough charges)

if I'd do a server, I would have done the opposite way: you lose stamina or something else, and you have to hunt in order to regenerate it and go training again

Back