• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Step by Step how to make your server good and have much players

Sizaro

Advanced OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
coldensjo
Step by Step how to make your server good and have much players.​

Ok, this is an tutorial i'm making since i've seen alot of otservers just falling down. For an example, Znote. This server was before one of the best player versus player server and had alot of players. But, the owner (Znote), he did too much downgrades and made the vocations suckier, and suckier all the time. This is making people leave and what he didn't understand is that, if 1 leave. Alot of more will leave, and it will won't stop. Until the server has 0 players online.

To help you out there i'm doing to tutorial:

Step 1.
Player vs Player:
When making a server you should force your brain into this subject the most. People should no't kill everyone in 1 hit, they shouldn't be impossible to kill. Knight's should hit alot and run fast, so no one can just use Utani Gran Hur and run. Paladins, they should hit alot since they cannot use sds+ranged at the same time. Mages, they should hit alot with sds but they shouldn't have alot of defences, this should make them easy to kill by they should easy kill too.

Knight: Hard to kill, 50/50 in pvp, better in pve.
Paladin: Hard to kill, 60/40 in pvp, suckier than knight but also good.
Mages: Easy to kill 90/10 in pvp, well in pve.

Step 2.
Player vs Enviroment:
To make people like this, you should add ALOT of huge hunting grounds and make them hard to find. Maybe put alot of ropespots? Or maybe make an labyrinth. But not too many of that, there should be no teleports. This is making the server unrealistic in the otworld. Also, maybe if you have the pickhole script you can use pickholes. People love pickholes, since they are very hard to find. When people find pickholes there should be great treasures. I've been mapper for an ot called Radonia/Aleria. I've also been the highest lvl there so I knew quite lots of pickholes. But there was one thing made it very boring to explore, it was that there was no monsters. If you put a pickhole and a monster inside, it making it much more funnier to explore, maybe quests? Here's an pve subject too; Quests.
Quests should be very big, and very small. There should be hard quests and easy quests, easy quests are quests like; Killing 2 orc berserkers? And get an halberd? Hard quest should be like, a long labyrinth with tons of monsters and maybe bosses guiding people into traps. There are also the best subject in making of ots; Team Quests. With Team quests i'm sure you will get alot of players, with lack of players. You server won't be funny to play on...like Znote... Build a very big map and call the cities something and make alot of houses, maybe there should be alot of small nooby spawn too. But not too many, that depends on if you're going to make a serious otserver or unserious.

Step 3.
Your Team:
Your team should contain;
  • 1-2 Mappers
  • 1-2 Scripters/Coders
  • 1 You
  • 1-2 Gamemasters
Nothing more, nothing less.

Step 4.
Updates:
This is also a great subject, with no updates; no players.
You have to update alot, so the people will stay and be active. You also have to be active, you have to know the players. Know what they want. Do not make threads what the players want; like this one. The players shouln't control you, and you shouln't control them too much, but remeber one thing. You are the boss, you can ban whoever you want and do whatever you want. But no one should complain about what you are doing, without you, the server shouln't be there. So if you want to ban someone saying bad words to you. You do that? No one should make threads on otland about you banned him, he know what he did. Delete he's thread.
Back to the subject; Make updates! Update the map daily and make better and better quests and so on. Do not update the map 1-time/month. That will just make the players dissapointed at you and think you are an unupdater, that's what I call it. With no updates; no players.

I'll maybe fix more steps tommorrow, brb tommorrow ;p 9/2 23:06

Last edited:
I agree with you on EVERYTHING, except 1 thing.

Having teleports in your server isnt bad if its well-organised

Like ForgottenL I did updates 1time/4month's or so.. yes i lost some players but i never lost all i always had 90~150 active players , it went 70~100 active players (coz of no updates)
but doing well-organised teleports will attract people specially if u got like lots of custom monsters 8~20 hunting grounds for custom's a noob walking and never ending the hunting teleports.. so he will be so happy with it :p

Back