Tales of Middle-Earth

Tenzhiro

Storyteller
Best answers
Reaction score
Hear hear adventurer..

Tales of Middle-Earth is a custom RPG based on the tales and lore from Middle-Earth, build and imagined by a team of similar minded enthusiasts. Together with the community we will expend this project in a steady, playable (even offline) Adventure RPG in which you get to choose different factions/quest lines/vocations and upgrade your equipment through a Tier system, together with Professions and a huge world to explore; it is guaranteed to have a great time here.

One of the main reasons I started digging into OT's was to be able to create a world based on Tolkiens LoTR and here we are, yet again for another try. I imagine myself being 60 years old, looking back to the good old days and will pull out a USB stick and run this server just to play the quests and explore the world we have created together.
Over the years I’ve played some great OT’s and been part of teams with fantastic people, along that road I’ve already gathered a few other people that are willing to help me on this project. Mind you that this server will not be made based on value but pure out of ambition.

I have this view that we first map The Shire including all towns and locations, in a 1:2 scale is what I am looking for. If we have the base landscape of this area we can focus on important landmarks, meanwhile creating our Main Quest line.

The world will be played through different ACT’s. This for different reasons.
1. It’s just so damn huge, and better to start small and perfect.
2. We can give other people the opportunity to help progress with the story and shape the world with us progressively.
3. It’s much more interesting for us and the player to guide them through a Main Story together with tons of side-quests to explore.
4. WoW (similar) leveling, enough said.
5. It gives the team continuous motivation but with a steady workflow and the aim to perfect each step of the road.

Each ACT has a boss and few mini-bosses and gives a theatrical ending to each ACT, end-game will be tier upgrading, PvP, dungeon clearing, raiding, try to find one of the rings of power.

In this world blessings are not a common thing, that means life is precious in this world, dying is a painful thing.. You can save it all up just to lose it all if not prepared for the fights to come ..

Anyway we are currently at a curious stage where everything can change, and I want the opinion of people and maybe learn a thing or two(hundred).
We have made a Discord to discuss things about this project, if you are willing to contribute in any way or want to give your views on certain things, feel free to PM your Discord or msg down here your comments and/or idea’s!

Oh look a round door! Woopwoop

Last edited:

popoverde

Best answers
Reaction score
Nice, way too ambitious to be honest :p

This is the first middle earth themed OT that looks like will end up being a middle earth OT lol.

Im glad you want to add the rings of power.

What about the characters? balrog...necromancer,galadriel,elves,man,dwarfs, goblins, wargos,places such as moria, tirith, thats a shitload of work and sprites.

Last edited:
OP
Tenzhiro

Tenzhiro

Storyteller
Best answers
Reaction score
It's way too ambitious indeed, even thinking about it will give you endless inspiration. It's a good thing but also a thing you need to concern yourself with, since it kinda overwhelming, that's why I want to work with ACTS, so we begin from the beginning and together work our way towards the end of the story and not be overwhelmed.

All 20 rings are unique (one of each), haven't thought of which should do what, but for The One Ring, we had this idea; there will come a time that you will have to face Sauron's mortal form, when defeated the very first person on the server will get that One Ring guaranteed. From that moment the person carrying that item will have the opportunity to wear it for 2 minutes (a day) and gain a kind of GM Invisible effect and the ability to walk through players even in PvP (which makes for great escapes), maybe buffs a few skills as well, when used a message will be broadcasted about the location of the user, to make it somewhat of a bounty hunt, since the only way to get the ring is either by giving it or taken from a corpse.

(note that most of the inhabitants of Middle-Earth have no idea of the existence of these rings)

I was also thinking about revamping the guild system aka no guild system but the ability to join in-game Factions/Houses, with all kinds of different mindset, playstyles etc.. and they get to do tasks/quests in order to make their faction more powerful so in time whenever a war brews they will have the upper hand, team effort thing.

Also since alot happens within the timelines of ME, there will possible be flashback quests to first age events for example.

Currently someone is working on some custom races sprites, I was thinking on either post all our progression here or make our Discord public so people can actively respond and discuss on certain channels.

Anyway currently writing the prologue and initiate start of the main quest, and at this point I have a lot of options to go through..
Will keep you guys updated!

Last edited:

popoverde

Best answers
Reaction score
My thoughts about the one ring of power:

-A sneaky and fast gollum spawns randomly, he will drop the ring when killed. When gollum spawn there will be a broadcast message.

-The one ring can be used at any given time, the more you use it, the more debuffs you will get. Also it will attract the enemy , orcs, goblins,cave trolls even the scary Nazgûls can find you out, destroy you and anyone around you.

Factions are nice idea, dwarfs,humans,elves,mordor..isengard, etc.

If someone is carrying the ring at a town that town has a high chance to get raided by evil army. So people has to keep the ring AWAY from towns

If the evil has the ring, every evil faction should get buffs and benefits from it.

If evil faction has the ring for like a week sauron in his mortal form will spawn

So the war for the ring is always going

Im not saying the map has to be 100% tolkien world epica, but it has to have some original places.

sorry for my shitty english

Artis

Artist
Best answers
Reaction score
how do you want to do then people can play even offline is it possible to do?

OP
Tenzhiro

Tenzhiro

Storyteller
Best answers
Reaction score
My thoughts about the one ring of power:

-A sneaky and fast gollum spawns randomly, he will drop the ring when killed. When gollum spawn there will be a broadcast message.

-The one ring can be used at any given time, the more you use it, the more debuffs you will get. Also it will attract the enemy , orcs, goblins,cave trolls even the scary Nazgûls can find you out, destroy you and anyone around you.

Factions are nice idea, dwarfs,humans,elves,mordor..isengard, etc.

If someone is carrying the ring at a town that town has a high chance to get raided by evil army. So people has to keep the ring AWAY from towns

If the evil has the ring, every evil faction should get buffs and benefits from it.

If evil faction has the ring for like a week sauron in his mortal form will spawn

So the war for the ring is always going

Im not saying the map has to be 100% tolkien world epica, but it has to have some original places.

sorry for my shitty english
We were also thinking of random Nazgul raids whenever someone has the ring equipped or not. It's actually a cool idea to have good/bad factions and with the power of the Ring tied to it, also tying a Sauron raid with it sounds very awesome!

Smeagol I wanted to use for something else to be honest, his character is just too important to be a random creature spawn even if the loot is epic.
how do you want to do then people can play even offline is it possible to do?
Either I will respectfully upload the server for free (free in my opinion) when it's finished (protected files ofc) to be only played offline or we have to think about a custom client that will read files and databases locally stored. Since this will be a server where you are somewhat guided by following a main quest with tons of side quests, it's easy for you to get lost alone, but this is just an idea I had in mind.

Last edited:
OP
Tenzhiro

Tenzhiro

Storyteller
Best answers
Reaction score
I have made a thread in the Jobs section of the forum, if you want to contribute in any way :)
LINK

OP
Tenzhiro

Tenzhiro

Storyteller
Best answers
Reaction score
Tales of Middle Earth – Features
Here are some features we have in mind, note that everything can be changed.

Revamped Combat and Leveling System

The combat system as we know it in the original Tibia came will be revamped to suit our needs.

For melee users, they will need to focus on sustaining, in either offensive, or defensive means. They will be able to choose different paths to be able to play different playstyles. You could become an aggressive Berserker, a defensive Templar or a holy Paladin for example.

For ranged users, aka bow-mans, the focus will be on sustaining damage and de-buffing your enemy with poisons. They are quicker on their feet then most and their aim is keen. Deadly from afar, they are also troubling up close since they are quick with their dual-wielding daggers. Some hunters can call upon animals to aid them in battle.

For magical users, magic has another meaning in this world, their powers lie on a whole new level. Runes, once created by powerful entities are now practically old relics found hidden all over the world. Their effects are tremendous and thus very valuable, although the art of rune-making is lost some mages still hold the knowledge to teach you a thing or two.
Mages are divided into classes like a Healer/Buffer, Offensive Magic and Shapeshifting, next to many practical uses. They use powerful words for their magic but also uses Staffs and Rods to create their powers. Some mages can create Illusions or create powerful shields for their company.
Many mages also wear a short-sword for close combat encounters.

Leveling will be done in a way that you can never (very hard) over level current content, after you pass a certain level, the monsters inside your current ACT will have decrease EXP thus promotes you to go further. End-game wise we will work with leveled dungeons and raids.

Vocations, Classes and Races
Within our world you will be able to choose between four Races; Men, Elf, Dwarf or a Hobbit, each with different attributes to compliment your playstyle. After that you will have to choose a Vocation, there are three to choose from: a Warrior, a Bowman and a Wizard. While choosing your vocation you need to think of what kind of combat-style you would like to play. Each vocation has different Class paths to choose from, Classes are aimed to compliment your playstyle even more, besides that, certain quests will be race/vocation orientated.

Dungeon and Investigation system
Middle-Earth is filled with dungeons to clear, from spider-caves to hidden dungeons deep beneath Moria. Every dungeon cleared will give you -investigation points- depending on its difficulty, but you can only clear any dungeon once to gain points, to clear a dungeon you will have to kill a number of specific creatures and/or kill the dungeon’s mini-boss. After earning a certain amount of points you will advance in rank and be able to enter more dangerous dungeons and even unique boss dungeons.. It is also possible to catch certain monsters to gain points.

Immersive World
Have you ever wandered into a town and it felt like an empty city with shopkeepers that work around the clock? Well no more! To make the experience as immersive as possible we will include, but not limited by the following features; NPC’s that actually travel, shopkeepers do finally get some rest after a hard day work, the world will change depending on what season it currently is, certain events can also help shape or destroy parts of the world, specific raids depending on amounts of dungeons cleared, different types of traveling means, economy created by the player; creating items yourself will become profitable again. Also note that loads of caverns and hunting grounds are bound to have treasure, as well as cities, do you really think all cupboards and dressers are empty?
Oh and yes of course you get to name your weapon.

Raids and Events
Everyday forces of darkness are trying to penetrate the lands of the West, depending on the state of the world, different raids will be executed daily. This could range from greedy Goblins to fighting Uruk-Hai, but not all events are spawned from evil in this world, limited time only quests, spawning treasure hoards, maybe even a carnival could also cross your path.

Faction Wars
Instead of a guild-system we will have a system based on Factions. Inside Middle-Earth, all living creatures are assigned a faction, thus creating the base for any Faction for instance; The Orc’s will join the Faction of the Orc. You as a player gets to choose any faction but limited to one, to progress in. You get assigned different Tasks to complete and also be able to take on quests inside the faction. When you progress inside the faction, the faction itself will gain power and will help you in the wars to come.
Wars could have many meanings, one could fight over a city, one could fight for a powerful artifact, but for now we have one thing in mind. War over territory. There exists a stronghold in the region of Angmar, where evil always persists, in order to take control over these lands you will have to wager war with the faction that holds the stronghold. Every week there will be an opportunity for your faction to capture the stronghold and have access to unique hunting grounds.

Upgradable Equipment System with Tiers and Enchantments
While adventuring around you will need to protect yourself, you can either loot your equipment, buy them from other players or take the time to forge them yourself! Each piece of equipment (except for unique equipment) will have 6 upgradable tiers, each tier will give a flat bonus on a piece. For example; Tier 1 Chainmail (Arm: 3) – Tier 2 Chainmail (Arm: 4). Depending on current tier, the risk/reward will be greater. Also you will be able to enchant your equipment with magic, this can only be done by certain NPC’s or by certain Classes. Enchanting your equipment with magic will give it special attributes like critical chance, health leech, bonus skills or even % damage. Note that unique equipment sometimes have magical attributes already, these are permanent and do not stack.

Professions
In this world there are tons of jobs to be done, when not exploring you could try out different Professions, from Mining and Smithing to Hunting and Herbalism. Each profession can complement your class and/or needs. Do you want to forge the strongest weapons without worrying about supply demand? Become a Miner and learn to gather material efficiently yourself! Or do you wish to become a marksman Hunter? Learn how to track, chase and kill Deer’s and Warg’s and even learn locations of exotic rideables!

Unique Rings of Power
“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”

Twenty unique rings. Each one with different abilities and powers, are you the one to be its keeper?
All twenty rings can be found around the world, its secrets are lost only to be heard in legends.

Other rings have been created in the progress, as practice, but they do not hold precious power. .
This is all I have to say for now..

Bounty Hunter System
Tired of that beggar in Bree that keeps asking for ten Copper? Or that arrogant Dwarf that keeps bragging about his wealth? Put a price on their heads! Not only will they be hunted by players, they will be hunted down by Orc’s and other creatures as well.

Custom Map, Monsters and Bosses
Building this world from scratch is a challenging thing to do, that’s why it will be an ever creating world filled with detail and lore. All monsters are based heavily on lore and all items based on lore and medieval times. Monsters will behave as they are described in the lore, also Bosses will have intelligent rotations and actions and sometimes different stages.

Death. Respawning and Taverns
Death in Middle-Earth is almost certain, and it will be a heavy price to pay for the treasures that you are seeking. There aren’t any plans for a blessing system. Your body will decay over a somewhat realistic time; that is the only time you have left to get back on your feet to start the run to your body, if it’s not already looted by someone else. When you respawn, you will respawn at the Tavern, the further you progress the more spawn options you will have.

Taverns are special places that will act like an adventure’s hub. Here you will find things like the World Board, local quests, bounty posters, depots and more..