• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The Craft of Illustration

Galiant

Advanced OT User
Reaction score
Here are a few sketches and studies I've been doing lately. As many of you know I also work as a concept artist and illustrator as my job role. Please feel free to contact me as you need any illustrations to your project. :)

This is a fable book illustration I'm working at. I thought it would be useful to give you all a little hint on my process. The story tells about Gloubish, this black sheep goblin who likes nature and animals more than anything. Obviously that's unusual for a goblin in such a fierce goblin tribe as the Goblins of Swallow marsh. The bullies Grobash and Brodkin can't stand Gloubish love for the animals and track him down at dawn, just to find him along with his rabbit friends who always meet him to play, possibly to ruin the fun with their brute!
:eek:o_O

So it all starts with thumbnails...nothing bigger than 3x5 centimeters. Its important to have a feeling of how the final illustration would look in the final stage, and from the distance. So this first look is really important. The idea here is to brainstorm on overall composition! Keep throwing ideas on canvas until you pick something that you really like!
Cd9E4tf.jpg

Thumbnails.

From here, you should take the leap and give it a shot on a bigger rough sketch. Try to implement the ideas from your favourite thumbnail and keep it to general forms. No detailing or colors here! Just kick the bulky forms in! and try to understand the elements and how they interact with each other. I will generally use cheap copy paper in this stage. It's better to work with traditional pencil and paper rather than go in with photoshop.
ZfyfsS7.jpg

Rough sketch

After you are done with your rough sketch, the next phase is to make some studies on the elements. The reason why you do not do the studies at first is because you may find yourself adding to much reference to your piece, rather than keeping it really from your own inspiration and heart. Although it may sound cheesy or silly, this initial step is critical for your style. After you put it together in a rough sketch is time to get things polished...and the reference images and studies you perform here will be key to your success.

NdRfX0h.jpg

Rabbit studies
WEuZy0l.jpg

Goblins studies

After making those studies you can now move in to photoshop and really draw over your rough sketch to polish it down and incorporate the ideas and concepts you've grasped from your studies. After this phase your illustration has indeed gotten to a point where you can better explore the forms and the realism of each element. After that... the whole piece can be finished on clean lineart and further coloring!
aYAq0lS.jpg

The craft of illustration.

GOOD LUCK IN THE ILLUSTRATION WORLD, FOLKS! ;)

Its alright, but the characters arent scaling with the perspective well, so they look flat and whole scene looks like something is wrong. Just make those which are further away from observator smaller ;)

Back