• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Ultimate Shape Tutorial

Icetear

Mapper
Reaction score
Welcome! Hope you will enjoy and be supported by my tutorial! The tutorial is based on RPG Mapping

"Too squary." is a couple of words lots of mappers may hear by posting their works at the show-off board. And the judgers, or the member who commented in this case "Too squary." was right. The piece is pretty squary, but don't let it get you down with mapping!
In this tutorial I will informate you where and when it's right or wrong to have squary areas. I'm going to go trough the most of the places and atmospheres that can be found in Tibias map editor. To complete a developed map is an awesome feeling, belive me..
But to lose a developed map is like quitting your favourite sport, or loosing some school work you've been working really hard on!
Also, some people, unfortunately more than you think, can't handle critisism, me included. While some might be quite different. Now I mean really long distance between! I've striked a couple of flamethrowings on my mapping, by the most unknown people I ever met. Anyhow, any kind of flamethrowings might be reported just to get rid of it, or you might ignore it! Which I had really hard for doing, I've always listened to insults and been sad about them. Anyhow, if you're going to practice your mapping experience, and searching for other members opinions, then you have to be prepared for flamers and insulters! They are everywhere.

Three things that you shall think about while mapping RPG'ish!

• Unique Touch (MMB's Secrets, read sources in the bottom)

• Detail the area with right details

• Use right sprites in right climate

Water borders

Now, I'm going to give you a minute to think about which of these ISLANDS shape is the best, for RPG.
First one, a normal detailed island with the rightful details for the climate!

os6e69.jpg

Second one is a more organized shape and better outfit in my opinion.
My own taste is to make it look like the water formed the islands shape and got it to the right feeling of the shape.

2s97jwk.jpg

Those simple borders that are located out in the water gives the shape a unique touch in my opinion! If you readed Mannen Med Brillorna's awesome tutorials you've learned that the RPG style got to have a unique touch to make it feel RPG..
While mappers like MMB, Neon and Chauz are mapping three different styles, are there massives of styles over! And you may detail it at your very own way, but to keep it RPG'ish, keep to MMB's style! In my opinion, Neon and Chauz are mapping more over a showoff style. But this is balancing, mapper by mapper.

Path borders

Paths, or walkable ways are very hard to create in my opinion.. They gives a strange looktype while using auto-border, and having a messy experience to get in to eachother, but only while having auto-border enabled. Here you will see two kind of pictures, one more squared path and one with more organizated.

The more squary one, is really boring, don't you agree? No details, just randomly splashed out!
vdmpj.jpg

While the second one is more, and even more organizated! Detailed and looking better.
21159jl.jpg

Don't matter if the rest of the nature is not detailed yet, cause I'm just searching for you to find out the point! Now I want summarize this tutorial and what we've learned. We learned how to make shapes of an island or possible continent right, without any risk of squary. And we learned how to create paths without making them squary, and the path part includes, mountain edges on the nature, sand areas and all other kind of parts popping up in nature. I'm now going to end this tutorial with some links to futhurer tutorials that are good to read to being an RPG mapper for real!

Sincerely, Varino!

Thank you Admiralen!
PLEASE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE OUTCOMES! THIS IS JUST TO MAKE YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE!

Back