• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What in dedicated server is important?Tutorial

What is for you the best company with dedicated servers?

• Total voters

wladca

Reaction score
I read many thread in forums but I never seen what is very important when we wanna buy a dedicated server

Please correct me when I say something wrong!

1.Processor- We use only one processor for engine and other is for mysql etc.Otserv already takes advantage on that processors, with the use of the Boost libs. MySQL, Apache and PHP also use it.

2.Architecture-32 or 64 -> If you need more than 4GB RAM, you would go with 64bit.

3.RAM- is the most important in your ot!.(ex.real map take 2gb!)
than minimum for real map is 2gb,take 3gb or high!Ram is always good,add max how many you can.But remember players takes RAM too!

P.S:But if you know please tell me how many RAM around Take one player!

4.Hard disk- disk is important, maybe not capacity but speed of it for fast save the game(Use at least a 10K RPM HDD).

5.Connection -Download connection is for nothing but upload is Very Important(2nd place after RAM)(laggs etc.)
(200 online players won't use more than 2mbps of upload, on normal conditions.)
Pings!-It's important

6.System: -If you don't know how to configure it, Windows may become a headache for you. For example, install apache, php and mysql on Windows is a lot harder than on Linux, that's because almost all Windows users go with xampp (fail). On the other hand, if you don't know how to play with *nix systems it probably won't be safier than Windows.

7.About server host -I think the best is in Europe ovh(professional company) but for USA I think the best is The Planet(Cip soft host here)
But if you don't have much money for buy it you can buy in kimsufi or other one.
Please join in Poll and write in post why

In ovh you got network bandwidth and you must chose one of them:

With Premium, OVH guarantee 200 Mbps (or more) per infrastructure. We call infrastructure a group of servers that:

belongs to the same client;
exchange data permanently or temporary;
are brought together behind a same domain name.

In traffic series you got limited transfer(10000gb/month)

Limits and excess (per month)
Bandwidth at 95%:
OVH to Internet 15 Mbps
In the event of exceeding 95%, the bandwidth is limited to:
OVH to Internet 15 Mbps

Close

Conditions of use

Available Use Your profile Bandwidth

Bandwidth

Premium bandwidth

With Premium, OVH guarantee 200 Mbps (or more) per infrastructure. We call infrastructure a group of servers that:

belongs to the same client;
exchange data permanently or temporary;
are brought together behind a same domain name.

Example of bandwidth per server according to the number
Number of servers Premium
per infrastructure Premium
per server
1 200 Mbps 200 Mbps
2 200 Mbps 100 Mbps

3 200 Mbps 66 Mbps
4 200 Mbps 50 Mbps
5 200 Mbps 40 Mbps

6 200 Mbps 33 Mbps
7 200 Mbps 28 Mbps
8 200 Mbps 25 Mbps
9 225 Mbps 25 Mbps
10 250 Mbps 25 Mbps

15 375 Mbps 25 Mbps
20 500 Mbps 25 Mbps
50 1,250 Mbps 25 Mbps
100 2,500 Mbps 25 Mbps

Business bandwidth (unmetered)

When you've subscribed to this service, OVH reserve 100 Mbps for every link to transit and private peerings, and doesn't limit bandwidth to public peerings.

It's normal hierarchy.For Premium system you must pay more and for other price is lower.But I think now is promotion and all option is for free now!

I will remake this thread when you got good proposition.
Whenever please suggest here yours experience with dedicated server

Regards,
Wladca

Please for small rep point:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You shoul've posted this here: Tutorials

Anyways, wait until a moderator helps you.

PS: thanks for your tutorial.

Yeh this could be REALLY useful if it got completed by current/pr0 dedic users. It would save time and probably money to several admins and I dont think anyone else has written a complete tutorial for this before. Not that Ive seen at least.

Thanks for the idea anyways and +Rep for trying, hopefully some pr0 will complete it and/or remake it with more detailed information. And something like what to do after getting the dedicated, how will the remote access work, what will happen when purchased time is running out, etc.

Cheers.

Firstly, I read your post and thought you are asking for something, then I read Archez's post and realized that's a tutorial.

I don't have time now to write everything, but disk is important, maybe not capacity but speed of it.

Windows isn't easier for hosters, maybe for normal users it is but not for hosters.

Later I will write some more.

Sorry it's my mistake.Moderator should copy this thread to tutorial threads.Whenever please suggest here you experience with dedicated server I re-edit this thread.
To post:
I think ovh server is very nice(support,prices and pings) and for me is the best.

Which one is best for Dedicated server from usa??
Im prety good with servers but no idea how the hosting works?
Can anyone help me?

Singlehop is ok in usa

Kimsufi is owned by OVH. OVH servers have better bandwidth than kimsufies, hehe.

1 - Why not use multi-processors/cores? Otserv already takes advantage on that processors, with the use of the Boost libs. MySQL, Apache and PHP also use it.

2 - If you need more than 4GB RAM, you would go with 64bit.

3 - Use at least a 10K RPM HDD.

4 - 200 online players won't use more than 2mbps of upload, on normal conditions.

5 - Wrong, if you don't know how to configure it, Windows may become a headache for you. For example, install apache, php and mysql on Windows is a lot harder than on Linux, that's because almost all Windows users go with xampp (fail). On the other hand, if you don't know how to play with *nix systems it probably won't be safier than Windows.

About hosting, I personally like The Planet to host my servers, I don't know any other otserv that are hosted there, but the American CipSoft servers are hosted at The Planet.

Recently they launched a datacenter in Europe.

Other great datacenters in USA are Soft Layer and SingleHop.

Back