• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What is Better?

Jerry

I've Been Permanently Ban
Reaction score
I was gonna buy an new Hard Driver. I was looking at the solid-state drive and the Sata. I was wondering what was the best. I already know which is but lets ask OTLnd. Here are some information on the Hard Drive.

Solid State Drive
The original usage of the term solid-state (from solid-state physics) refers to the use of semiconductor devices rather than electron tubes, but in this context, has been adopted to distinguish solid-state electronics from electromechanical devices as well. With no moving parts, solid-state drives are less fragile than hard disks and are also silent (unless a cooling fan is used); as there are no mechanical delays, they usually employ low access time and latency.

Sata ATA
SATA offers several compelling advantages over the older parallel ATA interface: reduced cable-bulk and cost (8 pins vs 40 pins), faster and more efficient data transfer, and the ability to remove or add devices while operating (hot swapping).

As of 2009, SATA has all but replaced the legacy ATA (retroactively renamed Parallel ATA or PATA) in all shipping consumer PCs. PATA remains dominant in industrial and embedded applications dependent on CompactFlash storage though the new CFast storage standard will be based on SATA.[1][2]

SSD's are good for laptops since they have no movable parts and requires very little power, thus battery lasts longer and if you drop the laptop the harddrive wont break. Not to mention that it's completely soundless.
The bad side though is the $$/GB ratio, since they use flash based storage they tend to offer very low storage, and the ones that offer decent space is expensive as hell.
Another bad side to this is the transfer speed and random read/write, it tends to be quite slow compared to regular harddrives, unless you pay for a really expensive one (Like Intel X25, $500+) or place a few of them in RAID.

So the conclusion is:

If you have a laptop and wants fall-proof harddrive and longer battery life, and aren't concerned with storage space, get an SSD.

If you have a stationary and want a harddrive with lots of space on, get a regular harddrive.
If you on the other hand want a really fast harddrive on your stationary for your OS and a few programs (and have a secondary harddrive to save stuff to), and have money to spend, then go ahead and grab the Intel X25 (Or a couple of OCZ harddrives in RAID), it will shave off quite a few seconds from your boot time, and many programs will load almost instantly.

SSD is a type of a drive, and SATA is a connector. SSD drives use SATA. wtf is this thread?

There are 2 types of HD, Sata(1 and 2) and ID. And SSD is what Kornholijo said.

Blue which one would you choose? OCZ? Or Intel X25

Blue which one would you choose? OCZ? Or Intel X25

Well personally I would most likely go with the Intel X25-M one, since in the tests ive seen (Especially the one conducted by Sweclockers.com) most SSD's except for the Intel uses bad data-access chips, which gives you horrible performance when writing multiple small files.

Back