• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Whi World - Open Source Server with Configurable Features

I really hope this goes out of beta some day. How many years has it been?

Yeah looking back been quite a ride.
At first, when I knew nothing about TFS and tibia, I though I will be here doing something simple with few months and be gone.
Slowly started liking this community and shifted towards making something unique and well thought. I though it will take me 2 years to get this ready.
Already after few months I raised cap to 3 years.
Year later I started thinking like 5 years. (full book 1 with steam release)
Today I still see it possible if my strategy works, which is finding high paying job and earning money to hire freelancers.

I feel quite confident about my engine now.
Anxiously waiting for Unity Client, even though I don't have time for doing anything with it right now xD

But in short term. In October might be start for some changes, which is to push server towards another layer of update, lore.
Meanwhile I have only have like 6 hours to spend per week for scripting.
Until October, if there is nothing to fix I will be improving either current features or refactor system codes.

Sadly, I can't seem to motivate myself to play already. Even though I'm very curious to see all the server's got to offer.
Yea sorry, don't even have time to play, the online time was only spent on looking over the errors.
Its not like it use to when I was scripting and available 16 hours per day.

Don't know how to persuade teams to play Whi World. There is a challenge set down (Demon Skeleton)

Insignificant update, but I'm still tinkering.
Fixed the Precision Robe crash bug, well not rly, just changed itemID, the crash reason was in C++ and requires different edit, which I don't have time for.
@Ninja Maybe should be fixed in original TFS Tibia too?
item:getAttribute(ITEM_ATTRIBUTE_TEXT) on this item inside onEquip several times in row causes crash.
itemID = 12429
If you want more information, let me know.
Untitled.png

Well seems nobody cared that I was silent so long expect for me xD (or you took my word and actually were waiting till october)
I have some good news and bad news.

Bad news is that after 2 months of working I barely gotten by with trainee pay, which means haven't really made any bankroll for Whi World (quite the opposite, took money out few hundreds xD)
But the good news is that I can start putting money back in between 250-500eur per month.
With that money I won't be able to afford someone who does what I did per month for game engine, but I can start developing other aspects of the game.
---

This week (10th september) I will start project for Whi World website.
Where the goal at first is to create layout, registration module, news module where I can make posts with administrator tools.

---
Next weekend I will start project for Whi World Lore
The goal is to write down existing location descriptions, monster and npc descriptions with their characteristics.

---
I will try to keep you updated once a week how the progress is going (because then I myself will get updated too with the information)
Most likely this will be a hard start to start managing team with money, but in time I believe I will find right people

Last edited:
Web development:
Screened lot of freelancers and now starting to put them to work 1 by 1 (once per week)
If by next week there is no progress I will switch to new freelancer
But lets hope the freelancer I chose to do tasks now is capable of completing them.
Either way, freelancer is chosen and task has been given.

Story and Text writing freelancer for Whi World:
Today posted the new job post to hire writers.
I need to go trough my game story once more today and prepare test tasks to writers who want to work on this project.
Goal is to hire 1 writer next week.

Whi World engine:
Today I mapped damage system on big paper and decided on few things what will completely change how damage system will work in Whi World.
I'm not sure how long the change will take though, because I need to go trough every single item/spell/skill/effect what changes any attribute or manipulates stats.
The goal is to add 2 new attributes into game: damageID and changeID.
damageID is unique ID which all items/spells/skills/effects will have.
changeID is unique ID which is log information about change of attribute or stat. (this is attached to creature)

currently these attributes only are part of damage system.
few examples:
!armorup spell won't trigger changeID, because it does not go trough damage system.
healing spells do not go trough damage system.
however spellDef heal effects will be part of changeID, because they are proc effects from damage.

in future the idea of changeID might be used in more places, but for now these ID's are going to be used only in damage system.

Web development:
22-23 september freelancer gave few layout pictures, but didn't show me anything trough screenshare, so I was little skeptikal about his progression.
Since that until week later no more response from him.
Most likely he gave up. Meanwhile the other freelancers couldn't even start doing anything so I gave up on them quite fast.
30.09 started searching new freelancers again. I was able to put in 1 hour every day to answer questions and create questions for them, which leads to this day where I have 1 freelancer, who will try to do the website for almost 500€. Will see, how much he will be able to do next weekend.

Keep in mind that money is just for few tasks: layout, registration, news page and admin page to create news page.
So it will take quite some time, before we will see the full website.

Story progression:

Found a writer and he seems to be on board. Few days ago gave him first tasks.
Before that went over current Whi World lore and about the gameplay I have right now and will have in future.
He is the only person right now who knows what this game will turn into :D

Map:
@leonardo ramos has returned from break and was interested continuing on map.
Few days ago gave him first map task. Will see how will it turn out.

In this weekend I will try to find some time to create more mapping tasks and see if @Beto06 is interested doing them.

Game engine:

This weekend also going to check source and prepare a upcoming source related tasks.

Web development:
The new web developer has shown some progress in web development, this week he was rather late, but told he will get some new updates ready by Monday.
Will see next weekend how it's going.

Story progression:
More background story about Whi World is created to give a broader sense what this world is all about.
I started mapping down story and quest timelines by key events

Map:
No progress at all. Beto lost interest for mapping overall and Leonardo can not map for a while.

Game Engine:

I have now a C++ developer, but setting up the server and getting test environment ready is quite the hassle.
But he is capable of compiling the source I gave and slowly we are ready to start doing some source changes too.

Last edited:
Web development:
The website is ready to initially design, however, have some complications to upload it to a webserver.
Next weekend goal is to get it running on my web server and I can start working on the design.

Story progression:
More tasks have been completed, but I haven't had time to read through what writer wrote, quite some pages.
I will start reading them 1 by 1 later tonight and return with feedback to the narrator.

Game Engine:
The new source is live on the live server and for the first time 64bit compiled exe works on my test server! :D
No more double standard code, because in test server I used to run client 10.77 tibia client and in live 10.98
Although I won't have time to write anything anyway, its nice to have when I finally do start.

Next, we going to improve monster targeting:
To fix the awkward walking of monsters when they should be neutral but see players nearby.
And reduces the computing power I do right now on Lua side
Should also fix the target following and retargeting Lua functions too.

Web development:
Last weekend I came to the conclusion that the framework he used is no good and flushed down the entire project.
He started writing the website from scratch without any CMS this time.
Today should be the day to show how far he has gotten, but for right now I have no other updates about it.

Story progression:
Going nicely, world descriptions are being processed and some creature descriptions and backstories.

Game Engine:
Still working on improving the monster targeting behavior.
Its already way better than in original TFS (at least for Whi World, not that useful for Tibia servers), but we are working on some additional details (random target selecting in some scenarios, optimized updates, etc) and clean code look (ex: re-naming methods)

Web development:
Few complications came up, perhaps next weekend the first testing version is ready.

Story progression:
All good left side of the forest is now and things what are there are now described and improved greatly.
Moving towards general forest and cyclops cave/mountain

Game Engine:
Next weekend if all tests pass then this task will be done. (i actually already have 1 untested version since Sunday night, but haven't had time to test it)
Last weekend lot of our collaborate time was spent on introducing Whi World folder structure and introduction to next task (partly working towards losing .xml files)
Also last week we finally managed to sync our testing environment, from now on our work will be more effective together.

Web development:
That small complication seems to be rather problematic. Still not solved.
If by next week web developer can't create an object class, which I could attach method on to (animation effects, parameter changes, etc)
I will start looking for another web developer, who has some WebGL knowledge or can use VueJS. Then I also will increase the website bankroll to 600€

Story progression:
Forest itself is now described and has some lore behind it.
Cyclops lore still ongoing and added new tasks to the writer, which is to describe forest beasts and their abilities and think of 1 new ability to each of these monsters.
That's right. Bear, boar, wolf and deer will get harder. And that is just a start. Everything will get harder again.

Game Engine:
We are so close, but we are stuck at figuring out why monster loses follow-target when the monster doesn't have a target and a new creature is added to friendList.
Its a small thing and can easily be fixed with a Lua code, but I prefer if fix is done in source.
Next weekend we are going to track that issue with prints what come from source.

Besides that, today I gave 2 new tasks to Basiliscos.
1. Remove actions.xml and make it load required onUse information from my actionSystem_conf
2. Allow me to remove all lib folders from data folder.
The end result will be: My data folder will no longer have folder named "actions"!

Mapping:

A new person is trying to do a map task for me.
He started last week and this week result is not acceptable, however he has promise if he willing to continue.

Last edited:
Nice news indeed, I have a silly question to ask, is there a reason to remove the actions folder and make it load from a different file? Is more efficient in loading than TFS's default way or is it for any other purpose?

Nice news indeed, I have a silly question to ask, is there a reason to remove the actions folder and make it load from a different file? Is more efficient in loading than TFS's default way or is it for any other purpose?
Changes in performance? No
Changes in the number of work developers spend on registering and creating onUse functions? Not really.

The main reason is for improving maintenance and modular development.
I'm sort of creating the game engine, not just a server to play on, Whi World itself is just an example product which uses a lot of available features.
I found a folder which called "actions" a bit too much to handle, especially when in custom servers you can have thousands of onUse functions.

I currently already make the onUse function in any file I want, but sometimes I have to add some additional lines to this actions.xml file. (and vice versa when I remove)
When we succeed removing the actions.xml file, I no longer have to doublecheck are my onUse functions registered on some different file or not and are they pointing to correct file.

Happy Holidays
It's been almost 3 years when I started creating Whi World.
Has been an interesting journey and learned a ton of new skills because of this.
The first year I mainly learned Lua and programming in general.
The second year I adopted clean code ideas and started making my code more maintainable and readable.
In addition, I created a lot of different game mechanics and system to widen my understanding what is possible in TFS.

This year I mainly focused on documenting, structuring, optimization and making the code more readable.
Since September my whole development progress was turned upside down because I started working for a corporation.
This practically ate all my time, however, a few months later, this allowed me to afford freelancers to help along with my project.
I would have preferred to find people from this community, but everyone here is busy, unqualified or simply not interested in my project

Next year feels very promising if progress continues like it has been last few months.
See you on 14th January. (unless I'm too busy to post latest updates)

Quite a leap from my last post.
I have some bad news and good news.

Web development:
The problems I had from last time, has been fixed and not only that website functionality is ready!
Last week started testing and designing it.
First started doing it straight to the website, but I realized I want to figure out all the elements first xD
Hence I'm designing the entire website in the photoshop first.
unknown.png

When its ready I will open website for everyone who is interested to break it. :D

Story:

Holidays affected the progress quite hard, just this weekend we picked up the pace again.
Or well kinda. I have to find some time to explain and write down the whole idea of bandits. And that is quite a time-consuming task to do.

Game Engine:

The monster targeting behavior got resolved.
However new stuff which I talked about last time, won't be coming from this developer.
He found a job for which he has to move and next month or 2 he won't be very active.
Good for him, bad for me. xD
But, I'm not gonna waste much time feeling sad, I will continue to look for a new developer starting from next week.

IMPORTANT:
Every player in Whi World will lose his gold coins!! If you have any issues with that, let me know before I open server again.
I will start tracking/logging all the gold coins which are in the game.
I want to balance all income places for the better game economy and I will also add an ability to exchange game coins for crypto currency. (ETH)

Web development:
Steady progression, every few days some new changes! :D
However, most of it is just code changes and not so much of actual graphics what to make pictures about xD
Just patience it will come when the time is ripe.
I have set a goal to put it online 18th March.

Story:
I have unread stuff about Bandits, which I prolly read this Friday.
I took the weekend off myself, so only had time on Sunday, but a day is too short for 3 completed developments. I hafe to think of a plan to get time!
Some of the stuff will be added to the website and unlocked by playing the game. (not everything, but enough for us to test it and have look and think about how to improve it)

Game Engine:

Found someone and his from OTLand :0
He already started and we will definitely do few exchanges.
Yet to offer him a position in Whi Team, will do that after he understands the scope of my plan and is interested helping with it.

IMPORTANT:
Once I set up the live server again I will do a query to see how much gold you all have.
In addition, I will also delete the all gold from the game.
Then I will close the server until I have finished gold logging to track every single movement and transaction.

we can actually play a ot soon here?
Tasks needed to be completed before I open server:
1. The website is online and has seen 1 week of public testing without falling apart.
2. Rewritten damageSystem* (in Lua)
3. gold tracking is created. (in Lua)
4. MonsterAI changes in Lua (new source changes are good, need to update my monsterAI)

Would be amazing to get it ready for April.

Lua tasks are on my shoulder. My monthly bankroll for development is 600€(it doesn't mean all of it gets spent in a month, it is just the maximum I could put out) there ain't room for another Lua Scripter, especially if it seems that I am the cheapest option. (Yes I have already offered and compared their price with the time it would take me to do these)

The website as of right now is also waiting for my constant testing. Web developer improves with 1-2 days, but I only have time to work on them on weekends.
In fact, I only have time to work on any of my team's completed tasks on weekends.

Last edited:
Tasks needed to be completed before I open server:
1. The website is online and has seen 1 week of public testing without falling apart.
2. Rewritten damageSystem* (in Lua)
3. gold tracking is created. (in Lua)
4. MonsterAI changes in Lua (source changes are good enough)

Would be amazing to get it ready for April.

Lua tasks are on my shoulder. My monthly bankroll for development is 600€(it doesn't mean all of it gets spent in a month, it is just the maximum I could put out) there ain't room for another Lua Scripter, especially if it seems that I am the cheapest option. (Yes I have already offered and compared their price with the time it would take me to do these)

The website as of right now is also waiting for my constant testing. Web developer improves with 1-2 days, but I only have time to work on them on weekends.
In fact, I only have time to work on any of my team's completed tasks on weekends.
make a gofundme page mate made 2k just posting pics of him playing computer games asking for a better computer to be able to stream.

make a gofundme page mate made 2k just posting pics of him playing computer games asking for a better computer to be able to stream.
I have joined all kinds of crowdfunding pages. They were all waste of time and effort.
Perhaps with streaming, I could have gotten some attention, but my computer back then couldn't handle streaming.

It won't be able to handle it now either nor I have time for such things.
I barely can keep up with team, hopefully, this month I can catch up, because due to taking days off from work (I don't get paid for taking days off, but thx to some OTLand members I make the money back twice as fast for making Lua script for them 10€/h)

Web development:
Whi World Website got postponed for 4 weeks because I got a random, way to good offer, to do a business website.
However next week, we will continue with the WW website.

Whi Engine:
With the previous C++ developer, it didn't work out. He rarely responded and didn't have attention to details.
I need a C++ developer who could do things what I ask, not create some different solutions without telling me first what and why.
I'm not against improving the code, but sometimes there are just things I'm not ok with.
Also would be nice if the developer responds at least once a week, which was a problem in this case.

Anyway, I have started searching new developer again.

Story:
This has been constantly improving, we have described all locations (expect Hehem) and creatures (except Shadow)
Now we are working on NPC descriptions.

Other:
Also, my new life schedule is taking shape and I have started streamlining those responsibilities I have.

Back