• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Whi World - Open Source Server with Configurable Features

Oh gosh, the dedication... I remember trying this out years ago when it was still with that crappy beginning, few nps and some uber mobs/bosses killing us over and over again. Quite a distance from then.

Web development:
The web developer has had some exams every week and last week some kind of parties. So this has been on full stop ever since.
But this weekend, already got some activity going on. Hopefully, we get more things done and the development can continue.

Whi Engine:
Haven't found a new c++ developer.
Haven't really spent time searching last 2 weeks either.

If anyone is interested in several few hours long c++ tasks for 10€/h then hit me up.
However, I start looking for the developer from other freelance platforms after I have done some of my Lua parts first.

I haven't done any scripting for Whi World past idk almost 2 months xD, but it's not like I am getting rusty.
I have made 1 Lua system for a fellow OTLander and well I kinda do scripting every day a little in the work.
Not really anything amazing compared to game development, but I am connecting different programs, generating files and do data related work.
So I believe once I continue with Whi World scripts, it won't take long to pick up the speed.

Story:

Important NPC's completed and current conversations improved.
For now, this is done. Any further improvements will happen after the game has seen some live playing again.

Web development:
Finally, some things have been done, yet to see the new changes as I have had very little free time this weekend. Maybe we get into contact today and briefly look over some things. Other than that it may have to wait until 18.08.

Whi Engine:
An OTLander did make some source improvements, but he has trouble compiling the new source (however the previous developer can do it)
But for streamlining work, it's absolutely a must requirement to be able to compile the sources on your own. Don't want to resort on a 3rd person who keeps compiling the changes.
Regarding that, I made a post in Jobs forum, if anyone has experience compiling TFS 1.2+ for windows.

Other:
I have had very little free time to work on this project myself.
I'm in the middle of moving to a new apartment and might even change job within the next few weeks.
Besides that, I'm helping a friend to make a festival and also need to make 45min music set for it. (Festival is held at 11.08, so soon this time-consuming activity is complete)
Also, have been working on a movie with another friend. (I think we are done with it next month)

O wow been a while since I did my last post. Time sure flies fast.

Whi Engine:

Currently all good, pretty much simply stands behind me, too busy to even write out what changes I want.
And it will stay that way for few more weeks.

Web development:
Progress has been made once again, but it's still super slow, compared to what it used to be a start.
At least it seems to be the only thing what moves onward for now.
Funny thing is that at my new work I am project leader for an e-commerce website, and that is one fucking awesome website.
Maybe in future time, I could use that insight for my own small website :D (not gonna use the same team though, I would have to work for a year before I could even afford half of what this god damn website costs and it keeps getting bigger every passing day xD)

Other:
My life is slowly starting to take the shape, first work week in a new place was a bit emotional and stressful because of the amount of job dumped at me, but I think in ongoing weeks, it will get easier.
The new place I live now is awesome and perfect for me.
All the other projects with friends are now completed and executed, so I have had quite a lot of free time.
Right now I am building a studio/office at my home, once this is completed I will go back to being the full-time nerd and start scripting Whi World and back to learning. I assume it will take me about 4 weeks more (I work on it at weekends)

Last edited:
go for it. Don't wait. I've waited all the time and now opentibia is almost dead.
Chase your dreams and run your server now. Alpha tests at least. You will apply updates and fixes later. Everyone who was successful started from small things.
Sad thing I realised it all when it was too late.

Hurry, potential playerbase is shrinking every day.

Whi Engine:

I have created new C++ tasks, but now need to find yet another developer who could finish them up xD
Already started reaching out in OTLand (I prefer to start from this forum, next time if no success I go back to freelance sites)

Also spend few hours fixing Lua part, regarding the new C++ improvements made before (aka monster AI and onUse actions)

Web development:

Last 2 weeks seen no progress again. He says he will show in the weekend, but then a few days after deadline says this week.
Well, there is nothing I can do here right now, I already paid for the work and offering a 50% bonus to finish it up.
I either find a new developer and lose money or hope he can finish the job.

Other:

Creating custom workplace not that easy after all. All the services I have visited so far were not able to cut or do things as I want.
Sadly I haven't had time this week to visit a potential woodworking place either from my work time. Perhaps this week, send them letters and called them, seems like they could do the job, but they don't answer to emails, so I need to go and meet them in person to hand over the details and figure out the full cost.

Whi Engine:
No progress.

Web Development:
Project failed. Spent 600€ and a lot of my time, but didn't actually get anything working.
It was not in vain though, I learned a lot about web development. Next time I know what I need in my website, how it should look and how to ask for it.

I might restart the project on March with new people and budget.
But depends if I don't need my free money elsewhere.

Other:

My life constantly is changing and new interests and projects are coming my way. I am getting detached with the community here and the ideas I had for it.

Soon I will have my first week-long vacation after almost year and a half later.
At that time I will take Whi World and all of it seriously again and make it playable once again.

Once I have fixed the Lua scripts I will open source all of it. (source, data, map, and unfinished ideas)
I have come to realize I am more invested in scripting real money and automating people work than working on my dream game, Whi World.
There is no reason for me to keep all I have done and learned for myself. After all, this community helped me to get where I am now and this is least I can do.
If you have followed my plans from the start, the open sourcing was the final step anyway.

Once I have open sourced the project I will be helping and creating guides for the ones who are interested in using my engine to make custom servers.
It is a bit different than you might have been used to. Almost everything (features, items, monsters) are generated on server startup based on configurations which are made with Lua tables.

Another unique feature is that spells are actually generated on the moment it is cast because there are thousands of elements what can cause the spell to have a different effect than it is originally used for.
I could keep going on, but I will save my time. I will keep you updated.

The vacation kinda failed. I got sick for 4 days straight on the first day and then I had to start making my missing days back.
Also again I moved to a new and bigger place. Which also has taken quite a lot of my free time.
Most of my time is still spent on working and keep at it, right now my next estimate is for open sourcing is May.

Unless someone wants to help me with that on a weekend. (with testing and/or writing the missing scripts, if so, contact me on Discord)

hey,

Got my "office corner" in home ready :D (almost)
But started doing my first 8+h scripting sessions again. VBS though, work stuff. Sales Orders, Purchase Orders, Stock, etc.
Right now I make more work stuff, help ppl to reduce manual work of finding, confirming and documenting things.
I estimate another 8 weeks for this.

Still, I haven't forgotten to Open Sourcing Whi World.
Anyone willing to help with it? Together in Screenshare I demo: code, how to test things and what is tested.
You should need to know how to script in Lua to fix some bugs, I will help with documenting our code and testing.
However, I am not opening the server myself, but I am willing to pay for the server fees if they use Whi World Engine.

Sincerely,
That guy again

hey,

Got my "office corner" in home ready :D (almost)
But started doing my first 8+h scripting sessions again. VBS though, work stuff. Sales Orders, Purchase Orders, Stock, etc.
Right now I make more work stuff, help ppl to reduce manual work of finding, confirming and documenting things.
I estimate another 8 weeks for this.

Still, I haven't forgotten to Open Sourcing Whi World.
Anyone willing to help with it? Together in Screenshare I demo: code, how to test things and what is tested.
You should need to know how to script in Lua to fix some bugs, I will help with documenting our code and testing.
However, I am not opening the server myself, but I am willing to pay for the server fees if they use Whi World Engine.

Sincerely,
That guy again
How are you willing to make this, the open sourcing? I thought you would create a github repository with everything. I'm interested in how you implemented some stuff, like spells and monsters mechanics.

Currently my code is private.
Its already uploaded to github.
I will simply make it public once the monsters are tested.

It's my second vacation.

I was in the middle of cleaning my GIT when I got asked an OT related thing.
I totally forgot about this, my god, I'm getting old.

I uploaded the data folder to GIT, people who understand Lua should be able to understand.

Don't know when I will make guides, how to run this data folder.

Right now I am very busy following an online Machine Learning course.
Idk what will come out of it?
For now, I simply want to make myself a crypto prediction tool and I think that will be it.
If I come back to OT, I will have the knowledge, how to generate pixel art and might spend time training that tool too.

I see that starting from February, I'm gonna have more free time available again compared to the previous 2 years.
I assume I will visit friends every weekend at the start but eventually going to pick up a hobby.
Not sure is it going to be freelancing or Whi World Documentation.

EDIT: How do I change the Discussion Title name?

EDIT: How do I change the Discussion Title name?
I think you'll have to Report your own thread and politely ask it, heh.
That's how I was able to get an old post of mine deleted: asking for them do delete.

@whitevo what happend to this project?
The priority to continue with this project has been greatly lowered.

This project has been shared as my educational experience in the new teams I find myself.

Last year I was sharing the idea of bringing the open-source MMORPG idea back to life through a Cardano funding round.

I do find people with who I could establish a team to work on this project, but there are currently other Projects I see myself trying to bring to life.

If someone here is intrigued about getting funding to create an Open Source Game, let me know I can help you to get bootstrapped and walk you through the funding process.
I can give advice and connect you with the right people.

Back