• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Which concept do you prefer?

If I start developing a public server, which concept type would you like me to work on the most?

• Total voters

Cadyan

Reaction score
My interest for jumping into a serious project has been increasing over time. I want to give players what they want, while also working on a project that I can enjoy.
My focus is to bring something familiar, without too much change to the core Tibia game mechanics. I have put a lot of thought into developing a new server, but want further opinions before I settle on a project. I have also decided that botting should be encouraged, rather than punished and prevented. What do you think of that? I know some servers already do this, and for some of them it works well.

It would be good to know that I do not plan on spending a boat load of time making this server. I would almost entirely use community downloads to splice together something a little more unique than standard. Some of the core mechanics I have in mind regarding separating zones would help with bringing the immersion to life. Who here has played both Diablo and Albion Online? I am aiming for a hybrid style of their map/zone/pvp systems. It could also be slightly compared to The Wild in Runescape, or how World of Warcraft color codes zones (with some differences). With some brainstorming from a fellow OTLand member, a decision was made to look further into a checkpoint system like Diablo - with alterations made to how it works. This would essentially make up for the lack of boats and/or teleports.

Other than a few changes to how players explore the map and experience zone switching, the basic gameplay will be almost the same as how real Tibia does it. Due to changes made though, the difficulty will increase based on lack of player knowledge at first. Sure, people will get used to changes over time, but the difficulty will still be a little bit higher at first. To add to that, I want to make the game itself a little more challenging to stay alive in combat. You should die more often - but the trade off is that the death penalty is VERY low. You experience failure without too much actual loss, giving players less of a reason to rage quit.

I also want to use the most updated TFS files possible. I haven't been in the loop very much recently regarding TFS development. Is anyone able to point me in the correct direction to the BEST possible tutorial for setting up everything from scratch on Windows? There are a lot of tutorials available to look through, and I'd like an opinion on which one I should follow.

I have also decided that botting should be encouraged, rather than punished and prevented.
Cipsoft, and Otservs in general, basically owe theirs "players online" numbers to bots these days. It's something that Cip has struggle to fight with for the past years, but now they have almost officially given up. However, IMO, bots should never be allowed in any serious game. Of course, If the purpose of your otserv is more casual, you shouldn't care if your players are using bots or not.

You should die more often - but the trade off is that the death penalty is VERY low.
Well... I see your point, and I kinda want to say that is the right way to go, since it's more "friendly" for new players. But you quoted games like Diablo and Albion. In Albion, specially on the red / grey zones, you definitely would do anything to not being killed. Tibia works the same way. I do prefer a hardcore death experience, with risk to lose it all and a reasonable penalty for dying. That's one of the reason Tibia, Albion and other games, like Ultima Online, for example, got me hooked.

Is anyone able to point me in the correct direction to the BEST possible tutorial for setting up everything from scratch on Windows?
I'm using TFS 1.4.1 and otclient by mehah, protocol 10.98. Probably one of the most stable client and sources to work with these days.

EDIT: TFS 1.4.2 has been release already, you should look for it.

I think an idea to make red zones harder would be to increase the penalty while in a red zone. This could be thought out.

Back