• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

The Ultimate Mapping Showoff Guide

Did I helped to you?

• Total voters

Zysen

=)
Reaction score
Greetings.​

I created this thread,to tell the mappers how to make their thread interesting,how to post proper showoff and the other things.

Sometimes mappers ask themselves: How do I make my mapping showoff thread more cooler,more better?

• What can I do to make my mapping showoff thread more appealing?

A good thread starts off interesting from the first words.

1.Greeting the reader who's reading the thread in a proper way is a great way to get interested.For example: "Hello everyone and welcome to my mapping showoff thread!"
Except a nice start you should also have a good ending.Example: "Thank you for taking your time to watch my pictures,
-name-
"

"Sincerely,
-name-
"

• How do I make sure people really give my pictures attention?

1.You need to make a good story out of your pictures.These stories and texts should preferably be written with proper sentences using capital letters in the beginning, and thereafter dots as ending.Also there's another idea; using a dictionary.By doing this you will make your texts (stories) loook more professional.

Also there's a thing that is annoying someone.The threads where the creator places capital letters in the middle of the sentence. Here's an example:

Disliked: "In the Tower Of The Great Knight I met a King Called Algatorix."
Liked: "In the tower of the great knight I met a king called Algatorix."

But remember that the word "I" (me) is always spelled with a capital letter i, even though it's in the middle of a sentence. And names of someone (living creature) are also always spelled with the first letter in capital.

• How do I make my pictures interesting?

You should finish your mappings before you post it.Especially if you create a poll to rate your mappings. An important tip is to never post pictures of unfinished mapping.If you want high rating of your mappings you won't never get it with unfinished mapping piece.

There's also a problem with zooming of pictures.You should always use the normal zoom (the zoom when you start the map editor).If you don't use the normal use your picture may lose some details (it would be hard to see them). The picture also isn't as sharp as it would be in normal zoom state.You shall also remember to take off the shade more than of one floor before you show your pictures.It's harder to see details when the shade is on.You should also remove "spawn-fires" (purple).This can be done by pressing 'S' in Remere's Map Editor,and in Simone's Map Editor by going to "View -> Show shade/show spawns"

• How do I finalize my thread?

You can start off with a short introduction where you explain what purpose your map will fill and the idea behind it. To expand the rate, give members some hints on what to look after. You should also announce your thread. You can use any of the 'Post Icons' that's available. You can for example name your thread like this:
"[Icon] Title (or Servername)".
This explains a lot to the people.

• Showing off the mapping showoff

When you post your showoff in the Mapping Showoff Board you should be able to handle negative feedback. If you don't you should think twice when posting.

If you feel your pictures not good enough to showoff, then "improve" it and show it later.
If your map isn't finished when you want to show it, finish it rather than showing it off with the explanation "It isn't finished but tell me how to improve". It's hard to tell what to improve when the picture isn't finished.

• Preferred format of screenshots & guide how to take screenshots ingame

When saving your pictures the default often is JPG, but if you want people to see your images good you should save them as PNG. PNG is preferred since the files are smaller and there by loads faster. When taking screenshots in Remere's Mapeditor you can go to File ->Preferences ->Graphics ->Screenshot Format and change the filetype of the screenshot you take with F11.

Also you should read a guide How to take screenshots in-game by Magnetico.

• The cropping of your images

Also when you are showing off pictures they should be cropped.I mean the pictures should just have the map,not the map editor buttons,program picture.Pictures that hasn't been cropped are bigger and could take more time to load. But more important is that it looks rather bad. You're not showing off the Mapeditor and screen, you're showing off your map.

Hope I helped!

Sincerely,
Zysen

Last edited:
It's quite funny to read grammar lessons from a post with fair grammar issues , you may want to fix that up there, and also one more thing , I think you may add this for those who don't know...

"There's also a problem with zooming of pictures.You should always use the normal zoom.."
If you lose your focus from normal zoom [you zoom in/out] , you can easily turn back to default view with Ctrl + Middle Mouse Button [3] (this works in RME)

Other than that, pretty handy stuff :]
rep++

[You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zysen again.] <_<

This is ripped from Mannen med Brillorna on OTFans... hahaha

How to post properly <-- sorry for link but look at this shit haha look at the dates... you ripped him man

Last edited:
Back