• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Solved A simple Znote startup question

Pteryx

Reaction score
I installed an OT server on XAMPP with Znote on Monday.

Today I'm documenting so I set up for another server - so all the OT stuff is the OT files are different, but I used the same Znote and modified config.php.

I don't have any actual problems with the second server, but I got some small "probably works as intended" issues when I started Znote, and I'd like to verify this is the normal behavior.

1. I couldn't create an OT Account from Znote when I first started it (easy enough to do from phpMyAdmin, but it wasn't not what I expected)
2. Trying to create a character without an account generated an SQL error (due to a sensible Foreign Key Constraint" that won't let you make a Character if you don't have an Account)
3. I first started Znote with a correct MySql userid and password, but without defining the tables, so I could get the table definitions from the "pre-configuration" web page. This generated an SQL "no table" error.
The web page generated ok when I used an invalid MySql password in config.php, so it only cost me a minute or two :).

So no problems - I have it running ok now ...

but is this the normal behavior, or could I have made a setup error?

I don't think this is a normal behavior (nothing I've encountered with Znote AAC at least), have you tried with another web server (e.g UniServer) instead of XAMPP?

Was there any errors when you tried to create an account? You shouldn't be able to enter character creation page without being logged in.

A follow-up on this ...

First thanks for the help! At the time it was enough to know I must have made a small mistake somewhere. It turned out to be something really stupid, so I'm not going to admit to what I did wrong :)
I doubt it will happen to anyone else.

@Eazy - I'm happy with Znote, and anyway I just need the same environment as my project leader, so I will stay with it for the moment.

I'll try both UniServer and Geisor out some time though, so I'm familiar with the most common OT platform components.

A follow-up on this ...

First thanks for the help! At the time it was enough to know I must have made a small mistake somewhere. It turned out to be something really stupid, so I'm not going to admit to what I did wrong :)
I doubt it will happen to anyone else.

@Eazy - I'm happy with Znote, and anyway I just need the same environment as my project leader, so I will stay with it for the moment.

I'll try both UniServer and Geisor out some time though, so I'm familiar with the most common OT platform components.

If you are going to host, i suggest using Linux for the best security :)
Btw, don't listen to the lamers here at OTLand that says "ZnoteAAC IS FULLY SECURED, NO BUGS LIKE MODERN OR GESIOR".

Funny fact: They all have the same bugs. But you abuse them in different ways.

I'd be doing this very differently if I was hosting :)

I'm just helping a good friend who has a server. I'm doing some Lua coding, so I need a full copy of his server running locally on
my laptop.

This simplifies the operating system and tooling decisions for me. I'm running everything on my laptop with access limited to localhost/127.0.0.1. Max one user (me), no risk of a database hack or a DOS attack (unless my friend tries to backstab me when I'm visiting :) and no scalability/performance issues to worry about.

I'd be doing this very differently if I was hosting :)

I'm just helping a good friend who has a server. I'm doing some Lua coding, so I need a full copy of his server running locally on
my laptop.

This simplifies the operating system and tooling decisions for me. I'm running everything on my laptop with access limited to localhost/127.0.0.1. Max one user (me), no risk of a database hack or a DOS attack (unless my friend tries to backstab me when I'm visiting :) and no scalability/performance issues to worry about.

I understand. But i'm just sayin... when you/him is going live with the website, watch out for dem bugs :) People are talking too much about ZnoteAAC, that's why everyone thinks its so good and so safe.

I understand. But i'm just sayin... when you/him is going live with the website, watch out for dem bugs :) People are talking too much about ZnoteAAC, that's why everyone thinks its so good and so safe.
Could you please explain more about the "bugs" you know in Znote AAC? :)

Back