• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Gatekeeping

highsanta

Advanced OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
What is the problem of people in community gatekeeping everything.
Even the particular thread oen just closed instead of releasing the code he already made it going into void. Its not like he was gonna make any money on the tool.

Do career programmers feel pain when people use their stuff?
They for sure feel pain when non career programmers use chat gpt 🤔
What is your opinion on gatekeeping of files inside of community that purely exist from stealing intellectual property anyways?

My absolute favourite was ot veterans selling sprites of other ot servers.

What happened to the community we used to contribute because it was fun and a common hobby but instead turned into butthurt people who only had failed ots and gave up trying and blame their mistakes on community.

Visual representation of most of people also:
character cooking GIF

What happened to sharing is caring.

Main theme of this forum was collaboration but it probably lost its magic when premium board died because of the big fish players avoiding their custom fixes from being released e.g
When people used to say you can not share this code to anyone kinda stuff.

Last edited:
Boy oh boy... another one of these threads.

Why not just ask ChatGPT to make you the same tool?
Its actually not a bad idea But I do not have enough time nowadays since I have a job to be working on this hobby of mine like that :p maybe if i get that financial freedom im working on in 10 years things will change but anyways I already made chat gpt make converters in node js i feel like it could easily be achievable easier than that thing he was making.

Last edited:
What happened to the community we used to contribute because it was fun and a common hobby but instead turned into butthurt people who only had failed ots and gave up trying and blame their mistakes on community.
Its quite simple honestly, people grew up and realized that you need money to survive. Yeah, times were different back in the old days because most people had no worries in their lives yet. They had no mortgage, they had no car payments, utility bills, family to care for, hobbies to pay for and so on.

Sure, they could always get a 'real job' and have this pay for them, but its all about perspective. You don't know what country they are from, they might have no ability to get an education, the avg. monthly salary may be much lower than what it is in other countries, and therefore it is more profitable for them to make money here. However, it would be naive to think that this is the only reason why people do it though. Some do it simply because it's easy income.

Its quite simple honestly, people grew up and realized that you need money to survive. Yeah, times were different back in the old days because most people had no worries in their lives yet. They had no mortgage, they had no car payments, utility bills, family to care for, hobbies to pay for and so on.

Sure, they could always get a 'real job' and have this pay for them, but its all about perspective. You don't know what country they are from, they might have no ability to get an education, the avg. monthly salary may be much lower than what it is in other countries, and therefore it is more profitable for them to make money here. However, it would be naive to think that this is the only reason why people do it though. Some do it simply because it's easy income.
Yeah i figured when money comes into play people change. But soon all of this will change :) Ho Ho Ho!

Because it is a prototype, unusable and waaaaaay too far from even alpha release. No one would developed it further.
thats what they said about tfs in early stages.
1714167222648.png

in the end sharing it for educational purposes is still beneficial to everyone. you never know when or how something may Inspire others to do great things. great example of that is @Glaszcz Koldre he released his map converter and I improved on it greatly. and now its on OTA to which I have no access to upload updates or provide support for.

give in the spirit of open tibia because it is right to give without expecting return. if u care how someone else keeps, u only grow bitter

in a competitive environment with a lot of money flow u lose rights over ur content after 24h and many find their fate in hands of injustice

Last edited:
I guess santa's point is: we've only reached this far with open tibia because in the beggining we all shared knowledge and were inspired to keep progressing as a community rather than competing.
Now yet it was because of many many people that dedicated much of their time for the community that we got here, now we have a scenario where its more of a marketplace than an open source community.
Sadly there's nothing that can be done, I guess its life moving on.

However I disagree that just because we are adults it means its impossible to have an open source mentality, its just a matter of choice. I guess there are other open source communities around that has the true sharing spirit even if people are adults.

people who only had failed ots and gave up trying and blame their mistakes on community.

No wonder when they prefer creating 2048 modules and 200 new wings instead of on focusing on the server xD
And lets not forget the fact that they working on a server for about 6 years :D
OTCv8 destroyed peoples mind with their cosmetic shit and hardcore advanced bot
Most top ots does not even use any crazy custom module just the client as base
andddd.... It was way easier to create a server back 10 years ago
Download datapack, make few small edits, run it and have fun :D

Last edited:
It is all about what peoples time is worth. Most people in OT are now much older and therefor their time is worth a lot more. If I spend 2 weeks creating an amazing system that could be thousands of dollars I didn't make just to give something to people that won't ever give back. Some people, like myself will try to contribute when there is free time but that time comes harder and harder to find. I don't think it is greed or anything like that.

It is all about what peoples time is worth. Most people in OT are now much older and therefor their time is worth a lot more.
I don't think it is greed or anything like that.

This is exactly it. This is no longer 2010, all these people back then that shared resources for free are no longer children that had shit ton of free time and not a single care in the world except for finishing their homework for school. Now? We are adults with jobs, social life and less time to spend on some hobbies. Its even worse for most programmers, after leaving 8h work, we are not really looking forward to spending another 6 hours working on some hobby code that gives nothing in return.

So what happened to this community? It became old.

This is exactly it. This is no longer 2010, all these people back then that shared resources for free are no longer children that had shit ton of free time and not a single care in the world except for finishing their homework for school. Now? We are adults with jobs, social life and less time to spend on some hobbies. Its even worse for most programmers, after leaving 8h work, we are not really looking forward to spending another 6 hours working on some hobby code that gives nothing in return.

So what happened to this community? It became old.
Agree 100% but also i see a lot of people take others work and selling that work after getting it for free..

It is a shame tho. I will try and help here and there once i get a hang of everything again but i am a little skeptical nowadays.

I do like giving back tho but that mostly happens in private instead of openly to the public as i have had a lot of issues in the past :)

You guys make it out like an open sharing community is impossible lmfao you've allowed yourselves to be cucked so hard that you actually believe it. It's pathetic.

The whole "we're grown ups now" is a complete nonsense argument made by the very people responsible for the state of this community.
Maybe that argument would work if there was not an active and increasing threat to newcomers in this community. it's your own fault we are an ageing community. We don't need to be an ageing community, tibia and its niche is more popular than it has ever been.

It's just a straight up copium argument to avoid any sort of self reflection, accountability or responsibility for their nasty behaviour and it's bootlicking at best for those who are ignorant.

The same people telling us that their time is worth too much to contribute for free have spent the last 20 years absorbing everything the community has had to offer, tools, code, money, knowledge and time. Now they tell us THEIR time is worth too much? They are the worst leechers, their actions directly and negatively impact the whole community. It's a cringe fest of extremely selfish and fragile egos mixed in with a bunch of bootlickers.

It does not have to be this way but if these real leechers want to keep pushing this agenda then naturally so will the 'pirates' push and advance theirs.
You are not multi-billion dollar corporations so you will not be able to just shrug it off forever.

You all suckers searching someone to blame. There is no one to blame. "The community" is not entitled to have people working towards moving it ahead.

If there is not enough man power to keep things going, then there is not and that's it. If people want to do other things with their time that are not open source Tibia piracy, crying rivers here won't change much.

Its actually not a bad idea But I do not have enough time nowadays since I have a job to be working on this hobby of mine like that :p maybe if i get that financial freedom im working on in 10 years things will change but anyways I already made chat gpt make converters in node js i feel like it could easily be achievable easier than that thing he was making.
Overflowing levels of hypocrisy. You can't point fingers like you did and cry "I don't have time". Other people should do more, but you? You don't have time.
Post automatically merged:

I need to add that the flawed perception that "OtLand would be a better place if there was no greddy" is hard braindead thought. If all these people WORKING on otserv stuff weren't here, they wouldn't be involved in opensource instead, they would be working on something else not otserv related. You don't own those people time, you are not entitled to have those people transforming otland in the promised land you envision it being. They are not opensource involved and you shouldn't care less about what they are doing.

You want opensource otserv stuff moving ahead? Group up with like minded people and do it. Crying that other people are not into it and that you don't have time won't help ever.

Last edited:
Back