• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Gatekeeping

"Bruh!" indeed. I suggest you read and understand that license. I actually screenshotted your reply as I find it incredibly comical. You can edit and redistribute the code. You can even charge users for a binary. But the source codes have to be released. By making it public, it means you make it available to others and not just yourself (that includes if anyone is able to purchase it from you). You can use modified GPL 2.0 and GPL 3.0 licensed software by yourself. But if you ever(!) plan to share it with anyone, either for free or paid, the source codes has to be made available. And it's not just to the buyer of the software, but anyone who will use it as the end customer. In other words, everyone, as it can not be guaranteed it's never shared by the customer.

1714656207438.png

"Bruh!" indeed. I suggest you read and understand that license. I actually screenshotted your reply as I find it incredibly comical. You can edit and redistribute the code. You can even charge users for it. But the source codes have to be released. By making it public, it means you make it available to third-parties and not yourself. You can use modified GPL 2.0 and GPL 3.0 licensed software by yourself. But if you ever(!) plan to share it with anyone, either for free or paid, the source codes has to be made available. And it's not just to the buyer of the software, but anyone who will use it as the end customer. In other words, everyone.

View attachment 84295
You do understand that we are selling source code, not binaries? And since we sell it, its not released to public, its private use.

There are studies that prove the opposite of what you just said. What you said is one of the most arguments things in these types of discussions - and they are always wrong. To see source code, is literally the best way for a programmer to learn new things. It not only teaches the one viewing the source code, but the programmer as well. It's called code reviewing.

You can live inside your bubble but your theory has been proven wrong already 3 decades ago. It's one of the most common misconceptions in programming, that "you do not learn unless you do it yourself". It's also hilarious and hypocritical that you come to OtLand and say that, because you are without doubt using someone else's tools here. Or did you make your own game client, your own map editor, your own engine, from scratch?

Realize how wrong, selfish and in fact stupid your argument is. I'm getting tired of seeing such crap in these communities. Please get a job or do something else if you have no interest in sharing both knowledge and code. It's quite literally the reason this community exists. Why do you even come here with such mindset?
Post automatically merged:

You're comparing car mechanics to an open source programming community? Really?! Haha!

Seriously, you're insane if you make a such comparison and fail to see how stupid that is. You clearly have no idea what free and open source software is about. It's the opposite of making closed source software. There are thousands, upon thousands, of places to sell software at. An open source community like OtLand is not one of them. Do you even understand what the "O" stands for? Please answer. Yes or no. Majority of the tools made in this community falls under the GNU 3.0 General Public License, in some cases the GNU 2.0 GPL as well. Do you understand what these licenses are about? Please answer. Yes or no.

You're actually insane. Or an enormous ugly nasty troll.

There's people in this forum using GPL 3.0 licensed software and then tries to close the source codes and charge people for it. Do you understand that it is a violation of the license? It's not how free and open source works. You may never under any circumstances use GPL 3.0 licensed code in your project and close its sources. I do not care what planet you're from, but we have morals and ethics at this place. Uncivilized leeches like yourself ought to be excluded from any discussions on forums like this.

I urge you to educate yourself on how free and open source software works. If you have no interest in doing that, and will keep encouraging people to close source code, then please leave this community. We do not want or need you here.
Eh, still missing the point.
Why otland keeps existing when we have the source code of TFS and all the tools you happily mention.
"To see source code, is literally the best way for a programmer to learn new things". (btw I agree with that, and I also learn this way)

2 points that you forget:
not everyone is a programmer
it's not so easy&simple&quick to learn it even if you are one.

You do understand that we are selling source code, not binaries? And since we sell it, its not released to public, its private use.
That's a violation of GPL 2.0. If anything in your code is licensed using GPL 2.0 or GPL 3.0 by you or someone else, or if it's going to be used as an extension in a GPL 2.0 or GPL 3.0 licensed software, the source code must be available if this software is to be released to the public in some way. The GPL licenses always apply to the buyer as well. This essentially means, you can never remove this license, no matter how many times it is redistributes/resold. If anyone in the entire world, plans to play an OT server using such code, its sources must be available.

You can charge for the binary or the sources too. But the source has to be made available free to the public, as you no longer use it privately for your own needs. It is therefore optional if anyone wants to buy it.

Have you even read the license agreement? You clearly have not. I suggest you do.

Eh, still missing the point.
Why otland keeps existing when we have the source code of TFS and all the tools you happily mention.
"To see source code, is literally the best way for a programmer to learn new things". (btw I agree with that, and I also learn this way)

2 points that you forget:
not everyone is a programmer
it's not so easy&simple&quick to learn it even if you are one.

I'm not the one missing any point. I think you're the one who is confused here. First of all, if anyone is a programmer or not, or if they learn better from viewing source, it is all irellevant. Why? Due to the fact that nearly everything in the OT community is licensed under GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0. If the code is to be made available to the public in any way, the source code must be released. I have yet to see any major tool distributed by folks in this community that is not GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0 licensed.

And the good thing about these licenses, is that they include software that's meant to be used as extensions with GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0 licensed software. Meaning: if you make anything that is going to be used in a distro that is i.e. GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0 licensed, and you plan to sell it and not keep it for yourself, its source code must be made available. There's a lot of users on this forum that fail to understand that. You can not for example make a copy of TFS and change some stuff, and charge people for it, without releasing the source code. The purchase is optional. You're free to keep it to yourself forever. But if you ever start charging for it, its source must be available.

Is it really that difficult for people to understand this?

Last edited:
That's a violation of GPL 2.0. If anything in your code is licensed using GPL 2.0 or GPL 3.0 by you or someone else, or if it's going to be used as an extension in a GPL 2.0 or GPL 3.0 licensed software, the source code must be available if this software is to be released to the public in some way. The GPL licenses always apply to the buyer as well. This essentially means, you can never remove this license, no matter how many times it is redistributes/resold. If anyone in the entire world, plans to play an OT server using such code, its sources must be available.

You can charge for the binary or the sources too. But the source has to be made available free to the public, as you no longer use it privately for your own needs. It is therefore optional if anyone wants to buy it.

Have you even read the license agreement? You clearly have not. I suggest you do.

I'm not the one missing any point. I think you're the one who is confused here. First of all, if anyone is a programmer or not, or if they learn better from viewing source, it is all irellevant. Why? Due to the fact that nearly everything in the OT community is licensed under GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0. If the code is to be made available to the public in any way, the source code must be released. I have yet to see any major tool distributed by folks in this community that is not GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0 licensed.

And the good thing about these licenses, is that they include software that's meant to be used as extensions with GPL 3.0 or GPL 2.0 licensed software.
You are talking to wrong people though. The people in this community that sell modified engines, clients etc. haven't raised a voice in this thread so far.

Oh man, I didn't know that sharing something with other person is considered PUBLIC RELEASE 🤣

Oh man, I didn't know that sharing something with other person is considered PUBLIC RELEASE 🤣
selling something to other person becomes theirs no?
if i sell you food you can do whatever you want with it i cant come in and eat it again and again right?

I am wondering what is the purpose of this thread? It looks like few people trying/crying to force @oen432 to release his works for free.

And prohibit people from creating things that are not free.

I am wondering what is the purpose of this thread? It looks like few people trying/crying to force @oen432 to release his works for free.

And prohibit people from creating things that are not free.
I hope its not about me. That would be stupid. How my custom not-Cipsoft related modules are gatekeeping this community from developing further?
I'm not selling TFS/OTC fixes or features to keep up with Cipsoft, I don't do this boring shit. I'm hardly the issue here.

I am wondering what is the purpose of this thread?
it's pretty much self-explanatory, see the first post:
[the community] turned into butthurt people who only had failed ots and gave up trying and blame their mistakes on community.
a guy who apparently has failed with his ots wants to blame it on the community for not providing him better stuff 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I hope its not about me. That would be stupid. How my custom not-Cipsoft related modules are gatekeeping this community from developing further?
I'm not selling TFS/OTC fixes or features to keep up with Cipsoft, I don't do this boring shit. I'm hardly the issue here.
Creating custom features like you do is absolutely fine and doesn't hurt OT community, I think it's just the opposite, with benefit to the community.

Ahh, someone casted utevo res "kay... The most gatekeeping user of all. Using other people's contributions in the community and never posts anything himself, neither here or on Github, always jumping into threads with comments but never any solutions. Any thread he enters turns into shit. I wonder why...?

Maybe it's because he see Open Tibia as a way to pay rent and food IRL. Unfortunately, it's not too uncommon these days. You'd think people here could get real jobs by now, I mean everyone is pretty much 30-40 years old at this point. Relying on income from an Open Tibia server as a 30+ year old is madness, unless you are from South Sudan, instead of helping this ever-decreasing community to grow.

Still waiting for him to lose his commit virginity on Github.

Ahh, someone casted utevo res "kay... The most gatekeeping user of all. Using other people's contributions in the community and never posts anything himself, neither here or on Github, always jumping into threads with comments but never any solutions. Any thread he enters turns into shit. I wonder why...?

Still waiting for him to lose his commit virginity on Github.
you have this audacity, but what have you contributed here and how many people have you helped? aha, ok
not even a single solution in the support board - as always, the first to point their finger at others are those who give the least themselves
I don't owe you anything nor was I ever selling any stuff that is under GNU GPL, sorry bye

Last edited:
as always, the first to point their finger at others are those who contribute the least themselves
what have you really contributed here and how many people have you helped here? aha, ok
I don't owe you anything nor was I ever selling any stuff that is under GNU GPL, sorry bye
anything he would release would be of 0 benefit to community he focuses on 7.4 there is plenty of that available.

Multiple guys are talking about licensing on a forum that's built on the theft of sprites, sources and intellectual property in the form of the game design, formulas, etc.?

Wow
Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Funny we call it "OT" but its far from being "Open" nowadays. Guess we'll have to start calling them "ATS" again? (Alternative Tibia Server)
Tfs is as open source as it gets lol….. you can go and download the literal source from github…

I believe that everyone should do whatever they want, period. If it's wrong for someone, okay, and if it's right for someone, okay too. After all, we're not affecting other people's lives. We're here in the forum because we want to be, no one is forcing us to be here.

So, guys, keep doing your private/public work as you wish. No one will force you to give away your scripts/sprites/maps, etc.

I truly hope that no one feels offended by my comment.

TFS has always been open source and always will be...

If Ramon has a private fork and makes fantastic modifications and doesn't want to share, okay, let it be, don't bother him. Go ahead and create your own fork, make fantastic modifications, and then share them with the community. If you want to make a difference, start with yourself.

I usually don't like to comment because I always get insulted, but it's been a long time since I last commented.

Greetings.

Back
Top Bottom