• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Interest For An Open Source Dat and SPR/Sprites?

Sportacus

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
So, with TFS, and the OT Client, there have been steps taken to get away from using any of cipsofts/Real Tibias material.

The one thing lacking still is a sprite pack/dat and spr that is 100% open source and doesn't use any 'copyrighted' material.

This is needed so there is no disputes over rights and what not.

It obviously doesn't have to have as many sprites as Real Tibia, but it should have the basic sprites/tile sets needed to start a server. Just has to have a few walls, few ground types, water, and a few outfits. Think Tibia 7.0

Open Tibia is suppose to be a fun hobby, and not everyone knows how to draw, or has the resources to get sprites made. There should be just a default open source sprite pack, as a resource.

Is anyone willing to start working on making a 'complete open source' dat and spr pack?

Maybe first make it for newest tibia version? :p
Since right now we're stuck with 10.41

What Tibia version it would be for would be irrelevant since it isn't suppose to be for 'Tibia' anymore.

That's what I'm slowly working towards.

Care to explain? I don't really see anything wrong with the dat and spr files, but if there is a better alternative, I'd like to hear about it.

Also just to say, DAT and SPR files are not just used with Tibia, so I don't really see the drive to change that just to change it, but a better alternative would be great.

What Tibia version it would be for would be irrelevant since it isn't suppose to be for 'Tibia' anymore.

Care to explain? I don't really see anything wrong with the dat and spr files, but if there is a better alternative, I'd like to hear about it.

Also just to say, DAT and SPR files are not just used with Tibia, so I don't really see the drive to change that just to change it, but a better alternative would be great.
It's just a limitation to the direction I'm taking my server is all.

Some time ago Mark said that we dont read DAT files on the server because of copyright issues or something like that(It was in a discussion of a topic similar to this I believe).

Imagine how much simpler it would be to have one file that holds all item metadata instead of having to make a new OTB for every new DAT that gets published. Also the DAT file is a mess, Cipsoft shuffles all item IDs in the DAT after every version for some reason(thats why we need the OTB); with a new "open tibia specification" for sprite containers(aka the spr) and sprite metadata containers(aka the dat) we could easily add sprites to these files and push to both the client and the server without having to bother about updating so much of the existing implementations.

It also sort of liberates us of the shackles of using Cipsofts DAT and SPR.

Also I think I'm deviating a bit on the topic here. An open collection of sprites would be awesome whether it is in DAT/SPR or some other OT format :p

The forgotten server 1.x, developed by Mark, does not seek to be a copy Cipsofts' Tibia this is why client versions are irrelevant(this what he told me I'm just paraphrasing).

The forgotten server 1.x, developed by Mark, does not seek to be a copy Cipsofts' Tibia this is why client versions are irrelevant(this what he told me I'm just paraphrasing).

alright just thought that it's weird, since the version has always been updated ever since otserv started and now we're stuck at 10.41 for a year

anyways this could be cool I remember a similiar thread on OTFans many years ago, the goal of it was to replace all cipsofts sprites with new ones. I'll try to find it :p

The topic seems to be broken using the current otfans site (http://opentibia.net/) but I found it with waybackmachine;
http://web.archive.org/web/20110910...ds/124539-For-the-Public-Full-Tibia-re-sprite Sadly most images doesn't work anymore since the thread was started in 2008 :p
There's lots of sprites there and much info, contains 36 pages.

A quote from the starting post:
I'm requesting a remake of every item, outfit, and animation that exists in Tibia today, so that in the future a sprite file can be compiled from them for distribution with the various alternative Tibia clients (YATC, Tiny Tibia Client, etc) in the future.

These sprites do not need to conform to their entry in the Tibia.dat file, meaning that sprites can be any size (within reason), have any number of animations (within reason), and so-on; but in the case of posting such sprites I would request that this information be supplied with the sprite. Obviously the sprites still must be a multiple of 32 (64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256) pixels in width and height.v

Last edited:
alright just thought that it's weird, since the version has always been updated ever since otserv started and now we're stuck at 10.41 for a year

anyways this could be cool I remember a similiar thread on OTFans many years ago, the goal of it was to replace all cipsofts sprites with new ones. I'll try to find it :p
http://opentibia.net/topic/115754-for-the-public-full-tibia-re-sprite/ - seems like the topic is broken but I remember it was very popular and there was lots of contributions to the project, I bet someone else from those times remember it too

Once TFS 1.2 is ready to go it should be updated(I hope)

Some time ago Mark said that we dont read DAT files on the server because of copyright issues or something like that(It was in a discussion of a topic similar to this I believe).

Imagine how much simpler it would be to have one file that holds all item metadata instead of having to make a new OTB for every new DAT that gets published. Also the DAT file is a mess, Cipsoft shuffles all item IDs in the DAT after every version for some reason(thats why we need the OTB); with a new "open tibia specification" for sprite containers(aka the spr) and sprite metadata containers(aka the dat) we could easily add sprites to these files and push to both the client and the server without having to bother about updating so much of the existing implementations.

It also sort of liberates us of the shackles of using Cipsofts DAT and SPR.

Also I think I'm deviating a bit on the topic here. An open collection of sprites would be awesome whether it is in DAT/SPR or some other OT format :p

I was just stating that .dat and .spr files are used outside of just Tibia, probably didn't make that very clear.

But yeah, it would be great that if we just had one file for all the metadata, instead of breaking it up into 3 files (4 technically if you count the items.xml).

And I also thought we needed the OTB so that we can actually link items up to an ID, and give them attributes outside of whats defined in the .dat. Such as having a corpse that never decays, and another corpse of the same sprite that does decay. We make two different items in the OTB, and add in the decay to, and timers in the items.xml since it isn't defined in the dat.

It would be great to have a tool that allowed you to edit everything at once, kinda like the object builder that we have now, but it also loaded the otb and items.xml and had UI for editing it, such as having all the available perimeters of an item can have (such as description, weight, rotateTo etc etc), with the actual sprite next to the item number.

Constantly I have to create an item in game, to remember how it looks when I am working in the items.xml

We could also add in new parameters for outfits such as a 'sleeping, crawling, sitting' sprite, and even diagonal facing and walking animations, idle animations.. the list goes on and on.

However, I lack the know how to actually make such a program, so I use to the tools we already have. Though at some point, it's probably gonna need to be done.

It's just a limitation to the direction I'm taking my server is all.

What I meant was, if you got a solution to that limitation, feel free to share it, or at least talk about it, we would all love to hear about it.

And God, I really am going off topic..

I was just stating that .dat and .spr files are used outside of just Tibia, probably didn't make that very clear.

But yeah, it would be great that if we just had one file for all the metadata, instead of breaking it up into 3 files (4 technically if you count the items.xml).

And I also thought we needed the OTB so that we can actually link items up to an ID, and give them attributes outside of whats defined in the .dat. Such as having a corpse that never decays, and another corpse of the same sprite that does decay. We make two different items in the OTB, and add in the decay to, and timers in the items.xml since it isn't defined in the dat.

It would be great to have a tool that allowed you to edit everything at once, kinda like the object builder that we have now, but it also loaded the otb and items.xml and had UI for editing it, such as having all the available perimeters of an item can have (such as description, weight, rotateTo etc etc), with the actual sprite next to the item number.

Constantly I have to create an item in game, to remember how it looks when I am working in the items.xml

We could also add in new parameters for outfits such as a 'sleeping, crawling, sitting' sprite, and even diagonal facing and walking animations, idle animations.. the list goes on and on.

However, I lack the know how to actually make such a program, so I use to the tools we already have. Though at some point, it's probably gonna need to be done.

What I meant was, if you got a solution to that limitation, feel free to share it, or at least talk about it, we would all love to hear about it.

And God, I really am going off topic..
I'll talk to my programmer about sharing some information about it.

Back
Top Bottom